Texas Special P/ups

Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Just looking to upgrade my pick ups and came across a very reasonably priced set of texas special p/ups.... anyone have any opinions on these pickups? The strat i have currently has Vintage Style Single-Coil Strat Pickups with Staggered Pole Pieces & Alnico Magnets. How much will the sound differ?
Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Texas Specials will have a bit more output and more midrange bite.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
    ...so you'd recommend them?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Fat mids, hotter than the ones you have now, more output.

SRV's faves. They sound very good with thick strings. If you get a good price, go for it.

though look up a review or 5 on http://www.harmony-central.com to see if that's what you're looking for.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    heavy strings are key to getting the most out of them.... so since you'll be taking the thing apart anyway, bump the string gauge up to 11 or 12. 13 is a little extreme.
  • Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
    I was gunna put 10s on it... ive used 10s before, but cant remember, are they much harder to bend than the 9's... i imagine 11s would be getting tougher
  • goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    You can always save a couple of $$'s & buy the Tex Mex variety. Basically the same, a bit duller in the high ends, but more bottom & slighty hotter than the Tx specials. I have a couple of stats with the Tex-mexes & I love them. Also with the Tx Specials, you can keep the pups a bit higher & loosen the action a touch & have a great hot sound with light strings, that way you can have a nice shake with your vibrato & not break your wrist.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• Originally posted by Lukin_oz
    I was gunna put 10s on it... ive used 10s before, but cant remember, are they much harder to bend than the 9's... i imagine 11s would be getting tougher
    i made the transition from 9's to 10's a couple years ago. In all honesty, it took me about a day to get used to...you won't have any trouble.

I've never played 11's...
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'm a big fan of the Texas Specials. They really embody that classic Strat sound, and then let you drive it a bit harder.

If you wanted something really different, you could get some Lace Sensor pups, or some single-coil-sized humbuckers... But then, why do you own a Strat?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.