mbox vs garage band

Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
at the moment im using garage band to record demos and other bts and pieces but have been considering the upgrade to protools with an mbox. Aside from the mbox and protools will i need to make any other alterations to my setup? does anyone have in pro - anti mbox opinions?
Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I have pro- ProTools opinions, but I have no experience with the MBox. Although a couple of our peers have them.

But to answer the other question... the MBox/ProTools will be pretty close to your current Soundcard/GarageBand setup, just better fidelity.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I got an mBox a couple of months ago and it was a great investment. It is easy to use and allows for efficient, professional quality recording of demos.

I have never used garge band; only fooled around on it over at my sister's house. It seems pretty cool, but I think the mbox allows more tweaking.
    And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    ive been using it for about 2 years, and if it is just you recording, it's perfect.

the only complaints i have for it is usb 1.1 speeds (which doesnt even matter too much since its not topping out the 1.1 speeds)
    and only two inputs, which makes it a real pain to do things like record live drums.
    oh and no built in midi interface

pros:
    pro tools software for cheap
    good preamps
    small/portable
    and everything else there is to say about it.
    also its a sturdy little box.
    comes with a fair amount of decent plug-ins(though i never have been really found of d-verb)

you have to have a damn good computer to run it with a decent amount of RTAS (real-time) plug-ins and a good computer to run it with the other type whose name esacpes me completely right now.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    seems to me a huge advantage of protools LE and the mbox is the ability to take a session to any professional protools system and vice versa.

ie, record tracks in rehearsal space. take them to a studio for final production. etc.
  • Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
    in regards to the computer... i have a
    emac superdrive
    1.25GHz PowerPC G4
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM
    80GB Ultra ATA drive

would this be sufficiant to run it? Ive used garage band a little, but from what ive seen with protools (in a studio) its easier to run and more flexible with effects, its easier to cut copy paste a sequence and fade in and out of that, it also has better plugin compatability and more area to grow as you become experienced
    Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i'd recommend a second harddrive dedicated to the recorded tracks.

i don't know enough about mac's processors to comment.

check http://digidesign.com for the requirements for running on a mac.
    I'd also recommend more RAM. In fact, I'd recommend that before a second hard drive. Get at least 1 GB of RAM.
    only problem with macs (besides the price) is upgrading is usually hell. it should run decently, but you wont be able to use too many real time plug-ins, mostly because of your ram and a little cause of your cpu power. but it will run.

i used to use it on a 1.2ghz amd athalon (not to be confused with a 1.2ghz g4, there is a huge difference) with 512 pc133 ram. below min. specs but it ran, kinda..
    KillerIsMe wrote:
    only problem with macs (besides the price) is upgrading is usually hell. it should run decently, but you wont be able to use too many real time plug-ins, mostly because of your ram and a little cause of your cpu power. but it will run.

RAM is the easiest thing to upgrade on any computer, including Macs.

And a 1.25 GHz G4 is definitely fast enough to push ProTools LE. It might not do 32 tracks with tons of FX, but it'll do 16 tracks easy and 24 tracks if you nurse it.
    every older case on a mac ive seen has damn near been welded shut. so it's not the actual instalation ive found hard as getting the case open. lately they been making things more tech friendly as they get a bigger piece of the consumer market. They also sell upgrades i believe.

but i also know fairly little on macs.
    G4 macs are easier to get into than a sorority girl's pants.