building a pedalboard

PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
im thinking of building a pedalboard rather than buying one. what is some good dimensions and materials to use? what other tips should i know? i really cant see spending the kind of money most boards cost for something as basic this.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    You'll want your board to be at least 12" deep (for volume and wah and other FX that deep). I'd go for closer to 15". The width depends on how many pedals you have. Another key question is whether you want one row of pedals or two (factors into the depth question). You'll want room for whatever power supply you use/will use (be it a proper power supply, like a DC Brick or Pedal Power 2, or just a power strip).

For a DIY, you'll probably just use regular industrial-adhesive loop-side velcro. You could try to find bulk loop-side velcro cloth, but it can be tough to chase down, especially for just a couple square feet.

One big tip is to put a couple handles or hand-holds on the left and right sides, so you can pick it up and move it easily. When I made my friend's board (and my old board), I used regular 4" drawer handles screwed right into the face of the board. It's a great feature.

You'll want to use either plywood or MDX particle board for the construction, and you'll probably want to use 3/4" thick stuff.

Putting rubber feet on the bottom is another good idea, so the board doesn't slide on whatever surface it's on (linoleum, carpet, etc). You can get them at any amp parts supply place, like http://www.ampwares.com or http://www.mojotone.com or your local new-instrument dealer (just ask for amp feet).

One idea my friends and I had is getting an old hardshell suitcase from a second-hand store, and installing egg crate foam inside to hold the pedalboard for transport. You'd just need to find a suitcase big enough for the board. Otherwise, you can try to build a lid/enclosure for it, or just transport it as-is. That's the only real tough part of building your own pedalboard.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.