Legacy amp

PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
well i still need to get my jagstang but im already looking at my next purchase. has anyone heard a legacy, id imagine they have to be decent cause carvin is supposed to make decent stuff and i cant see vai sticking his name on just any old amp. not that i have anything against marshall cause i dont, but they are alittle to cliche. i want something thats good but different, yet fender strats are my favorite guitars. so i guess im not that different. anyway whats the word on the legacy amps?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I've played both the combo and the head versions, albeit not for that much time, but from what I heard I was impressed. The clean channel, in my honest opinion sounded better than your standard marshall clean. The other two channels sounded pretty sweet also. I'd say check one out. I'm not the biggest marshall fan either, so I'd look into the Legacy before a marshall. Plus you could save a little dough... Carvin puts out some pretty decent stuff for the money.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    good sounds, I've just heard tale of reliability problems for whatever that's worth.

the MTS series is solid too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Its a different Carvin line but I own a 2-12 Bel Air 50 watt tube amp from Carvin. I initially had some problems with it but those were tube related problems. Combo tube amps take a beating anyways. Its been flawless ever since though, 8 years in a row with out problems.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Its a different Carvin line but I own a 2-12 Bel Air 50 watt tube amp from Carvin. I initially had some problems with it but those were tube related problems. Combo tube amps take a beating anyways. Its been flawless ever since though, 8 years in a row with out problems.

good to know. I like those a lot.

It's just the legacy I've read about reliability problems, but it could be isolated I don't really know. That was in some reviews I read. The Legacy cabs are pretty nice. I think for the money If I was going to get a carvin, depending on the sound I wanted, I'd either get a Bel Air, or a 50 watt MTS and a Legacy cabinet with V30's.

Steve Vai is a pretty reliable guy though over all as far as endorsements, his morley wah's are excellent if you like that tonality and now you can change that with the contour wah. The Ibanez Jem's are excellent tonally even if they are ugly as hell. Having not much experience with the legacy heads, it's probably an excellent model I just don't care much for the aesthetics.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    good to know. I like those a lot.

It's just the legacy I've read about reliability problems, but it could be isolated I don't really know. That was in some reviews I read. The Legacy cabs are pretty nice. I think for the money If I was going to get a carvin, depending on the sound I wanted, I'd either get a Bel Air, or a 50 watt MTS and a Legacy cabinet with V30's.

Steve Vai is a pretty reliable guy though over all as far as endorsements, his morley wah's are excellent if you like that tonality and now you can change that with the contour wah. The Ibanez Jem's are excellent tonally even if they are ugly as hell. Having not much experience with the legacy heads, it's probably an excellent model I just don't care much for the aesthetics.

I haven't heard much else about bel airs, thats just my experience. So I could either be a lucky one to have only one problem, or I could be like the rest.

The Bel Air tracks good when paired up with a JCM 800 when recording, they work together well. Same goes for a Peavey classic 50. That racks good with the Bel Air and or the JCM 800. Of course this is all in my opinion, and has nothing to do with the original subject.

Only other Carvin experience I have is with a mixer, that got the job done. I've heard bad things about the bass amps/ problems etc...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/