hooking the thumb

PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
i dont think i can do this. here is the deal i can play the e form chords barred, easily. but if i do it with the hooked thumb and my first finger barring the e and b string they mute. i think my hands are just too small, cause i can reach well and all that, just this way of playing f and such is impossible. any tips or are there others out there that cant do it either?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I just don't find it practical. I don't see it as an advantage. It's just akward for me, and I don't have small hands.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • its only really an advantage when you want to do hammer ons mid chord. e.g. Under the Bridge style
  • Under the Bridge style? Could you give me an example on that one I usually just barred most of it, maybe you could help me out with this.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • if you don't mind losing the root note, just play it that way, but intentionally mute the low E with your thumb, rather than wrapping it around. actually sounds better for certain songs
    knowledge is a tree
    it's growing up just like me.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    i use it most of the time and after a while it just feels like a natural way to grip the guitar neck.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I find it easier to hook the thumb than barre completely. I thin kI'm the exception to the rule though. I haven't any tips sorry. My hand just naturally falls into the position.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • doesnt mike play yellow ledbetter hooking his thumb? well maybe ill get this form some day.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I'm not too good at barre chords either, so I hooked my thumb while playing something in a lesson once and although my teacher said it was an ugly way to do it, it was a very bluesy way to do it. One of these days I'll learn to barre correctly.
  • moster78 wrote:
    I'm not too good at barre chords either, so I hooked my thumb while playing something in a lesson once and although my teacher said it was an ugly way to do it, it was a very bluesy way to do it. One of these days I'll learn to barre correctly.

ill trade you for a week or so
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    you need to put the fleshy part of your thumb on the middle of the back of the neck and move your elbow away from your body.Try that see if if it helps;)
    Cornell pwns u
    MetalGod75 wrote:
    you need to put the fleshy part of your thumb on the middle of the back of the neck and move your elbow away from your body.Try that see if if it helps;)

Thanks! I'll be sure to try it next time I need to barre a chord.
    moster78 wrote:
    Thanks! I'll be sure to try it next time I need to barre a chord.
    no worries!It works for me;)
    Cornell pwns u
    MetalGod75 wrote:

Should my thumb be parallel or perpendicular to the neck? Just curious. Thanks!
    moster78 wrote:
    Should my thumb be parallel or perpendicular to the neck? Just curious. Thanks!
    try and imagine your thumb is a fret but on the back off the neck.So your thumb would be parallel with the frets
    Cornell pwns u