How to start a band?

PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
maybe i dont know what im doing, so thats why im asking. i cant seem to be able to start or join a band, to any degree. i know a few kids that play guitar so ive asked them if they would like to jam some time. always the same answer and same outcome. they say "sure" and and then im like "we can play anytime" (i dont have a busy schedule). then i hear nothing for awhile so i talk to them again "are we still gonna jam or what?" they say "sure" after three or four times i give up. i even ask people that i know if they know anyone, well i talked to a kid that plays drums that "wants to get better at it" which is fine but after playing a few years id think you'd want to start a band by now, right? sure im no mccready but i know kids that cant play for crap that some how manage to get invited into bands.
my closest band mate is a guy that always seems so excited about music when i talk to him and then nothing. you know the kind (i hope im not the only one) "yeah we could write a few songs in no time and get in a cheap studio and do something", or "it wouldnt be hard to find a drummer or bassist "we" just need to spend a weekend looking". if memory serves me well i think we were supposed to work on this guitar riff that we (mostly i) came up with about 2 months ago next. we have come up with a total of maybe 20 riffs in 5 years. ive known him since high school. hes the only guitar player i keep in contact with. but still he always mentions "we" need to do this or that this weekend and then i dont hear from him for weeks.
i dont know, like i said im not the greatest guitar player but i dont think thats the problem here.

any advice, anyone?

geez this thread is almost whiny enough to be over at aet
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• go to music stores and look for places where they allow people to hang ads looking for muscians.

if your city has a paper that covers weekend events and the local arts scene sometimes they have ads looking for people.....or hang your own ads in the music store,or place your own ad in these type of papers.

go to shows where local or regional bands play,not huge concerts per say,but smaller shows where it's easy to mingle during set changes,maybe you'll find other players at these places.

it takes awhile to work your way thru the maze of egos and people that arent really commited to what it takes,but in time you'll hook up with other players.

good luck.

peace
  • Where do you live?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • ive skimmed through the local musicians want ads thingy that they put out. its all metal or chirstian. ive tried the club thingy also. i just dont like going alone, maybe i will have to. but seems weird to me.

as for where i live, amish country usa, 30-45 minutes from lancaster. this area is polluted with redneck metal heads, and gangster posers, plus the amish and mennonite. what a shit towne.
  • Just get to people in music stores and check ads in papers. screw the people you know, get to know other people, im in a band with my cousin and two of his friends and the cool thing is we all love the same music, the bad thing is me and my cousin are the only two that are any good, If you want to start a band put an ad in a music store and people will answer.
  • Check out craigslist.com or themode.com to search for bandmates. If you are good at your respected instrument, bandmates will come to you naturally. I've been in a bazzilion bands both awesome, good, ok, and shitty. It's trial and error. My first failures were because of personality conflicts, my lack of guitar skill, and no motivation. I then sat down and committed myself to guitar and now am playing lead for a pretty decent band (we made top 16 classic rock band in the philly area recently).

Post an ad on those sites and you'll see some traffic from like-minds, hopefully. Good luck.
  • You have to play with people on your level, but constantly push yourself and your bandmates. This helps you develop as a player.

Don't lose hope. I have been playin with a band for a year and a half and we have just got enough songs to start playin out. Lotsa bullshit and personal problems but we are really tight and I personally have gotten probably 3 times better by doin that.
  • I have been in bands and here is some very good advice.

Don't start your jams or rehersals by calling them "jams" or rehersals. Say to your buddies, "hey you guys wanna come over and have a couple beers and some pizza? oh and bring your gear maybe we can play something"

have a fun time and then go and slowly start to jam. the main reason bands split or dont get steady is because members arent having fun, make it casual, and over time they will realize that your band could go somewhere and will be at your house everyday to practice.

hope this helps you out man, keep on rocking.
  • this might be good advice, but i dont really have any buddies at all. all the people i meet are from people that gave me their numbers awhile ago. i ask everyone i meet if they know someone that plays something. so i had the numbers of some people which were all talk. that well has now been tapped dry. looks like its back to square one with the ads i suppose.

is it possible to form a band without alcohol? if not im screwed.
  • Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    be patient
  • this might be good advice, but i dont really have any buddies at all. all the people i meet are from people that gave me their numbers awhile ago. i ask everyone i meet if they know someone that plays something. so i had the numbers of some people which were all talk. that well has now been tapped dry. looks like its back to square one with the ads i suppose.

is it possible to form a band without alcohol? if not im screwed.

Let me just ask, what are your plans with a band?

If your plans are to be in a cover band and play bars and such, if you have and anti-alcohol stand you may be screwed. If you don't mind drinking, and you just don't do it then it shouldnt be a problem. I would be willing to say that I am in the minority of non drinkers in bar bands. I like to drink a little but I prefer to smoke much more.

Be patient and don't force things that dont come natural. People can pick up if you enjoy playing with your band, and the song that you play.
  • Spend some time writing your own songs and go out to some local jam nights and perform them on your own with your guitar. Music doesn't have to be performed with a full band. Find your own voice and do it! This may also help you meet other musicians if you want a full band.
    If I were dead the words that I'd said would seem to have more meaning
    But since I'm alive maybe I'll die that's what the words have been needing

"Phenomenon" - Front Porch Revival
    www.myspace.com/frontporchrevival
  • Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    KingMike wrote:
    Spend some time writing your own songs and go out to some local jam nights and perform them on your own with your guitar. Music doesn't have to be performed with a full band. Find your own voice and do it! This may also help you meet other musicians if you want a full band.

thats a great idea to meet desparate musicians. And besides, it's a lot of fun too.