really stupid question.

PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
ok this is so stupid yet i have to make sure. can i play a bass through the bassman 59 reissue? i know the orignal was a bass amp but the reissues are being sold as a 'guitar' amp. so can it still handle a bass or did the modify the reissue?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    actually a very good question.....

Since it's a reissue you'd think it would be made to it's original specs......but, I don't know for sure.....
  • technically you could, but the speaker isn't really designed for it, and the EQ controls and whatnot aren't meandt for it....but it coudl be done.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Kind of a related question here... do you need an acoustic amp to play acoustic-electrics? Or will any amp work?
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • jbdjbd Posts: 65
    Yeah it can definitely be done.
    "Fuck the kids ! Except the ones who are buying our records! They're fucking themselves!" - Mark Arm
  • technically you could, but the speaker isn't really designed for it, and the EQ controls and whatnot aren't meandt for it....but it coudl be done.

so its not an exact copy of the orginal then?
  • I don't know anything about that amp, but I can tell you this..

You can play a bass or guitar through any amp, but if you play a bass too loudly (and there are weird other cases not directly involving volume that i've seen) through a guitar amp it can blow the speaker.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    It can be done, but bear in mind that it was never meant to be an SVT-like amp. The speakers can handle the output of the amp, but the lower frequencies might or might not present their own set of problems. If you did it, I'd look into swapping out the 10's for JBL 10's. That way, you're practically bullet proof :)

Not a stupid question at all, BTW. The only dumb question is the question not asked.
  • I use an old Peavy TNT 130 bass amp as a cab to handle my guitar stuff( I have a line out coming out of my fender roc-pro 700). I was worried it wouldnt work but someone on this forum (i cant remember who) told me to make sure the out put and ohms were the same handeling and it'd be okay. So far, the distortion sounds fine but I haven't turned the 'cab' up.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Not a stupid question at all, BTW. The only dumb question is the question not asked.[/quote]
    +1
  • Not a stupid question at all, BTW. The only dumb question is the question not asked.
    +1[/quote]

There are no stupid questions.
    Just stupid answers!

Ok, here's one!:

The Bassman should work for a bass, but when it was invented, bass was different. It's original intent was to be an amp for the newly invented Fender P-Bass in the early 50's but the bass players then were playing with jazz bands and a little bit of pre rock and roll. It was mainly to amplify to complete with the drums, which a standup acoustic bass couldn't do.
    This was the era when amps had little tags that said, "Caution, do not turn volume up too high. If distortion develops, reduce volume". :)

If you play a bass through a Bassman with a band, the sound will be more midrange and mix in with the guitars and other midrange instruments moreso than a bass amp with more power, voiced for louder and lower frequencies.

or something like that! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • i've always wondered why fender was selling a 59 Bassman for guitars

I wondered that too. Doesn't Mike McCready use one-or used one at a certain time? If so, on what song(s)
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    i've always wondered why fender was selling a 59 Bassman for guitars

Well, technically they didn't. Guitar players started using them back in the day, and they became more popular for guitar than for bassists. Now, they're just associated with guitar players.

I guess it doesn't hurt that Jim Marshall basically copied the circuit for his early JTM's too.
  • DOSW wrote:
    Kind of a related question here... do you need an acoustic amp to play acoustic-electrics? Or will any amp work?

You don't need an acoustic amp you can use a bass amp i've used a few with mine
    29/05/00 -Wembley
    20/04/06 - The Astoria alley crew + got to shake Ed's hand
    25/04/06 -Jools Show + got Mike's autograph
    27/08/06- 07/09/06- 09/09/06-13/09/06-17/09/06-13/06/07-18/06/07
    ...Three crooked hearts and swirls all around...