how unwise is this

PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
i was thinking of storing my extra amps i never play in the attic and was wonder what the worst could be from them sitting up there?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Moisture in the attic could cause rust on metal parts and could cause electrical components inside to short or also rust. If I were going to do that, I'd cover them completely in some kind of cloth or better yet, full on giant plastic bag to keep out moisture.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Insects nesting/mice chewing wires/Bats nesting. Also, moisture is an issue as earlier stated. Climate changes as well could affect it. I don't know where exactly you live however, if it's winter time, that could mess up the amps, especially if they're tube.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • well there are mice and in the winter it does get pretty cool up there. ill just stash them in my sisters old room for now i guess. i think mice would be a bigger problem than moisture. the amps arent tube but i still dont want them ruined.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Rodents can cause horrendous damage, and they love things like boxes with yummy electrical wire for nesting in. We have major dramas with bush rats where I live and I am paranoid about further damage from them.

Though I did not really understand the question "amps that I do not play".
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Rodents can cause horrendous damage, and they love things like boxes with yummy electrical wire for nesting in. We have major dramas with bush rats where I live and I am paranoid about further damage from them.

Though I did not really understand the question "amps that I do not play".

well i bought amps that arent as good as what i have now. so i dont use them.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    if they are solid state just bag and tag or box to keep the dust out and try to ensure they stay dry and rodent free, and you'll be ok.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Maybe you can try putting mothballs in the amp to keep rodents away
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy