Options

Visual Sounds Route 66

blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.visualsound.net/66page.html

I have a cheap compressor (danelectro surf n' turf), and might want to get a new overdrive. This would kinda kill two birds, any thoughts on this?
My whole life
was like a picture
of a sunny day
“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I've heard good things... I think that getting the two original pedals they model after would sound better, but only nominally so. Since that is in one box, and built rather well, it would be a great pedal to have. If you like the Tubescreamer sound, and want a good comp, go for it!

There's a pretty good Keeley burn there...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i don't like the fact that the compressor section has a tone control.

by definition, compression shouldn't have EQ.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The Keeley burn is just marketing for Visual Sound. I have yet to find something that is built better with cleaner and better parts checked thoroughly for problems sound worse than something cheaply made by near slave labor. All in all its personal preference. Also Keeley uses the TI chip he feels are more accurate and better sounding to the Stevie Ray Vaughn TS-808's. I fail to see how more clean and more drive at both ends make the pedal sound "worse" goes against everything I've ever read and know to be true about Robert Keeley as I own a Keeley Rat2.

All in all I think VS makes pretty good stuff. Undoubtedly a keeley mod will make it and any tubescreamer sound better. As thousands of Keeley modded tubescreamer/anything else modded by keeley fans will tell you. The compressor will help sustain too and perhaps harmony-central will be better than just us talking about it because the true owners of the pedal have thrashed and played with it.

Compressors aren't supposed to have a tone knob but you can change the flavor I guess. Analog man puts tone pots on the inside so people won't fuck with them.

It's probably an excellent choice undoubtedly a good pedal on its own. I'm just defending Robert Keeley above. You don't need a mod. I have the same JRC 4558 Op Amp in my Direct Drive and it sounds awesome.

It's a decent pedal. If you think you can save some cash or frustration buying them in the same box go for it. The concept is a good one. I'm looking into the H20 myself.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Visual_Sound/Route_66-01.html

solid 9's in every category. with 45 responses. Go for it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.