Jimmie Vaughan Strat?

blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm starting to look at getting a strat, and comparing prices/models.

The Jimmie Vaughan strat is in my ideal price range, and the reviews are very good for it. My question is why doesn't it seem that popular? I never hear it talked about outside or mentioned, and I don't know anyone who has one. Is it too "tone specific" with the pickups and how it's wired?
My whole life
was like a picture
of a sunny day
“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Our lead guitarist plays one (it's actually sitting right behind me) and it's a very solid guitar... you get sweet tones out of it, but it's not particularly good at anything, you know? It's an "even stevens" guitar if you know what I mean.. I'd definitely recommend it though... it's a very nice guitar...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    It's probably more related to the fact that Jimmy Vaughn really isn't anyone's idol... a lot of people buy signature guitars for the "hero" factor, or to emulate their "sound." That's not really the case for Jimmy, at least not as much as Clapton, Hendrix, Townshend, SRV, Page, etc.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It's a great strat one of my favorite in that price range. Great neck Tex Mex pickups, very similar to the texas specials but I don't think the are as bright, which is a good thing.

Think SRV strat with more conservative styling and a much more normal sized neck.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • PidelloPidello Posts: 35
    ...and don´t forget: mike played one quite a while during lalapuluza :-) ´92
    "...I don´t believe in Beatles!" John Lennon
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    It's probably more related to the fact that Jimmy Vaughn really isn't anyone's idol... a lot of people buy signature guitars for the "hero" factor, or to emulate their "sound." That's not really the case for Jimmy, at least not as much as Clapton, Hendrix, Townshend, SRV, Page, etc.

That's another positive, I like how the signature is on the back of the headstock. For some reason, I don't like the other models with the big ass signature on the headstock.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    The Tex-Mex p/u's are quite nice, kinda thick for a strat, but good sound, great for big chord playing, not that many on here are Ritchie Sambora fans, but he's a big Tex-Mex player, so you can get an idea of their sound by listening to his bluesy type stuff. I have them in one strat & really like them. I'd say if you like the feel of a strat, you can't go wrong with this guitar.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• Scoot82Scoot82 Posts: 78
    I was cruising musicians friend recently checking out strats because of the $100 of deal (you can get a new american strat for $729 now) and i came across this guitar for only like $550. It really caught my attention because it is the exact color combo i want. My question is why is it so cheap? Is it mexican made, and not american? Why wouldn't a person buy this strat and then swap pickups and still save $100 versus a standard american strat. What am I missing here?
    Well, it's one louder, isn't it?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by Scoot82
    I was cruising musicians friend recently checking out strats because of the $100 of deal (you can get a new american strat for $729 now) and i came across this guitar for only like $550. It really caught my attention because it is the exact color combo i want. My question is why is it so cheap? Is it mexican made, and not american? Why wouldn't a person buy this strat and then swap pickups and still save $100 versus a standard american strat. What am I missing here?

buy it and don't swap pickups. It's mexican made with the tex mex (mexican texas specials, slightly hotter and warmer) You aren't missing anything, It's actually fairly popular with players because the damn thing plays so nice and sounds so good. It's an excellent guitar for the money
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.