Looking for bass recommendations ...

blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm shopping for a performance-quality bass (as un upgrade) and am getting bleary-eyed from reading reviews. We're thinking along the lines of a Fender P, but I'm interested in hearing what people think here. This is for a girl who plays primarily punk, and we're really looking for something with a smaller neck.

Any thoughts?
"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best."
~ FZ ~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    Hard to go past Ibanez for a bang-for-buck performance-quality bass. Those Ergodyne-series basses may not look as "punk" as a Fender P but the necks are smaller and they're as versatile as anything on the market, regardless of pricepoint.
  • biffhardon wrote:
    Hard to go past Ibanez for a bang-for-buck performance-quality bass. Those Ergodyne-series basses may not look as "punk" as a Fender P but the necks are smaller and they're as versatile as anything on the market, regardless of pricepoint.

i second that, those necks are amazing, pretty much feels like a guitar....my bass player has one, and he wont ever get rid of it, Definately look into some ibanez's

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    I just had a thought, you might've meant "shorter" when you wrote "smaller neck". If so, it might be worth looking on eBay for some Japanese Mustang Bass reissues or maybe even an old USA Musicmaster. Neither would be my bass of choice but if you're looking for a shortscale, they're a good place to start.
  • Bor HBor H Posts: 25
    I don't know about punk but G&L is HUGE. It is almost perfect for rock so it should be good for punk as well.
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Thanks, everybody. When I say "smaller," I mean narrower, not shorter. I'll start looking into the Ibanez.

The Daisyrocks are too "cute." God forbid anyone mistake what she's playing for cute. :)
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • rustyguitarrustyguitar Posts: 31
    I'm primarily a guitarist but have a bass for home recording use. I have had several over the years, including Fender P, Squier MB-4, and a couple of Yamaha's but found most to be too heavy for me being a smaller framed female. I couldn't imagine playing a show with one of them because my back and shoulders were killing me after short duration playing. Finally I saw an Ibanez Ergodyne at a local shop and as soon as I picked it up knew that I'd never look back. The one at the shop was damaged (looked like someone had dropped it a FEW times) and they wouldn't budge on the price so I hit eBay. Found a brand new one for 1/2 the price!! I'm no bass virtuoso by any means but I find it has even improved my playing. The Ergodyne really is a great playing instrument, and for my body type fit perfectly. Highly recommended. Good luck.
    I "waved to all my friends" at:
    Toronto 22/08/98 - Toronto 05/10/00 - Buffalo 02/05/03 - Toronto 28/06/03 - Montreal 29/06/03 - Kitchener 11/09/05 - London 12/09/05- Hamilton 13/09/05 - Montreal 15/09/05 - Ottawa 16/09/05 - Toronto 19/09/05 - Toronto 09/05/06 - Toronto 10/05/06 - Toronto 21/08/09
  • The LurkerThe Lurker Posts: 25
    if you're looking for something with a thinner neck, try something with a Jazz Bass-type neck on it; I know Fender does make some basses with a Jazz neck (which is noticeably thinner than a P-bass neck) and a P/J pickup setup. At least, they used to; it may be one of the discontinued models, but you still see them in stores.
  • Bor HBor H Posts: 25
    carvin has nice thin necks and it's flashy :P but it simply wasn't my bass, try it and see
  • biffhardon wrote:
    I just had a thought, you might've meant "shorter" when you wrote "smaller neck". If so, it might be worth looking on eBay for some Japanese Mustang Bass reissues or maybe even an old USA Musicmaster. Neither would be my bass of choice but if you're looking for a shortscale, they're a good place to start.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh, intonation is a pain
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • pahoehoe13pahoehoe13 Posts: 16
    maybe the fender aerodyne series... theyre supposed to be thinner and lighter