Professional (or at least knowledgable) PA system advise requested

blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
edited August 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
We're in the market for a portable PA package for our daughter's band (high school kids.) They play in primarily old neighborhood church halls and parties where they're in the large basements of old houses. In other words, they don't need something too huge, but they definitely need help getting their sound organized.

Since cost is a factor, we're considering the ones below. Any thoughts beyond what we can already read in the customer comments are appreciated.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-PMH2000E1220-PA-Package?sku=631259

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-EMX212SBR12-PA-Package?sku=630196
"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best."
~ FZ ~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    We're in the market for a portable PA package for our daughter's band (high school kids.) They play in primarily old neighborhood church halls and parties where they're in the large basements of old houses. In other words, they don't need something too huge, but they definitely need help getting their sound organized.
    Since cost is a factor, we're considering the ones below. Any thoughts beyond what we can already read in the customer comments are appreciated.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-PMH2000E1220-PA-Package?sku=631259

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-EMX212SBR12-PA-Package?sku=630196

Uhmm, neither if you can help it.
    Reasoning - each one of these is an underpowered match (I don't know what they were thinking pairing these systems together).
    I've said this before, *The easiest way to blow a speaker is to underpower it!
    Here's what's going on:
    The Yamaha EMX212S only pushes 130Watt at 8ohms.
    The BR12 speakers are 8ohm speakers that should run 300 Watt Program/ 600 Watt Peak Power Handling).
    Hence you turn it up with a band and you can easily blow the speakers.
    The better upgrade powered mixer/amp would be the EMX512SC which runs 350 Watts at 8ohms.

The Behringer PMH2000 only pushes 180 watts into 8ohms (at least better than the Yamaha, and I prefer Yamaha).
    The E1220 speakers in this package should run 200watt/400watt program power handling at 8 ohms.
    Again, you'd be underpowering the speakers.

I'd tell you to look into a higher output mixer/amp since you won't blow the speakers as easily.
    OHH - BIG THING, with using underpowered mixer/amps like these you tend to get a lot more FEEDBACK issues
    because you're pushing the unit so much. These kinds of units are really supposed to be used for a single strummy
    strummy type acoustic player (they work best for these type guys), NOT BANDS, even at lower volumes

If you NEED to go with one of these, I'd say the Behringer is a better power match, though check into reliability.

Remember, you want a system that pushes the proper amount of wattage for the speaker configuration you're
    using (typically 8ohms for a single speaker like the kind in these packages). You don't want to look at Bridged
    power, you want power handling per side at 8ohms.

Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    I knew if I asked here, someone would take the time to really look at these packages piece-by-piece. This info is going to help. Thanks.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Make sure it goes to eleven!
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    JOEJOEJOE wrote: