Options

ahh new gear PA and speakers.

low_lightlow_light Posts: 251
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
just giving a nice update to the stolen gear that we now have replaced. got the Yamaha 68s PA head which is 400x400w and two 12" speakers plus one floor 12" monitor. and I have to say i dont know how the hell we ever even got by in any practice without this kind of clarity in sound. feedback is history we have the right levels for everything. we are using the pa for vocals and brian's KORG Triton in stereo, no less! hehe.

anyway, I am pleased. live shows should be pretty clean here on out. yay.

-dm
www.myspace.com/eotoband
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    see. the answer is more power. That's great Low.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Well, the answer also includes good speakers with 12" woofers and good horns. But more *clean* power is always a good thing, too. Have fun with it...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    yeah McC. you hit it on the head. the speakers are insane. i have a 58a beta Shure mic and i can hear myself breathing at a good distance form the thing its so crisp. im fuckin happy.

also, Pac you are right too on the power for the KORG to do well. last time we were having the pa resett and power limit and now nada. and its freaking powerful.

-d
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    For the money, Shure Beta 58's are the best vocal mic out there. Of course, there are better mics, but the prices reflect that. Anyways, I use Beta 57's myself, and I love them. The feedback rejection is amazing on those mics.
  • Options
    yeha the beat 58 rejects feedback pretty well too. the only thing is that if i touch my mouth on it i get the fuck shocked out of me while my guitar is near it. so oh well. the nice thing about the new PA is i dont have to swallow the fuckin mic to be heard when i go into low tones.

its nice.

-d
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    Originally posted by low_light
    the only thing is that if i touch my mouth on it i get the fuck shocked out of me while my guitar is near it.

Dude, you're going to want to be damned careful with that. The potential risks of getting shocked are pretty high. Especially hand-to-hand shocks, where you have one hand on your guitar and the other hand on the mic. Is your guitar amp ungrounded? Do the power outlets in your space not have grounded plugs? Did you experience these results with your old PA head, or are they new to the new PA? Be careful, man, this isn't stuff to mess around with.
  • Options
    well, it has happened before when i had amps near the mic. but now i have all the equipment far away and it doesnt do it unless i bring the guitar up near the mic area (which is always seeing as how i play and sing in every song) the garage has grounded outlets and the amp SHOULD be grounded... i dunno. the main solution for me is not to touch the fuckin thing and with the power we have now i dont have to hug the mic with my mouth anymore anyway.

i will admit its not a fun thing though to have to worry about. im not sure exactly why its doing it. if its the mic or just all the power. hrrmmm

-dm
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    bad grounding. perhaps in the mic cable?
  • Options
    robrob Posts: 142
    Low light,
    Some comments from Nepal! Congratulations on your new system.
    Watch out for that shock! You need to fix that. A fair amount of musicians have gone down from that on stage! Always the first thing we did on tour in different venues.

Check the polarity of the receptacles that everything plugs into. (the small slot on the outlet should be the hot. ) You can get a little yellow polarity tester at a hardware store.

Check the grounding in the amps and the guitar. Tough to do from afar here, but you need to do it. Sometimes the garage wiring is wrong, grounds not hooked up right in the amps or guitar, so you are getting a ground loop. Probably worth it to have a tech or and electrician to look at.

Oh I know that feeling, always when everything gets going, then Zap! to the lip. good luck!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    yeah I'll have to check the wiring at the next practice. thanks for the info, rob. ill get a polarity tester and check the lines. it does suck when it zaps my lip.

i'll try changing out mic cables too, ex.

hmm now its bothering me to no end. heh. oh well. trial an error

-d
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    trial and error!
    Error ain't that great sometimes with electricity!
    Sometimes a long trial is the result. With a jury!
    It can be static electricity, or a few hundred volts from an amp.
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    damnit hehe. i just wanna play some music, man! now i have to worry about being cooked.

ah well. im sure i can figure it out. i have a couple of gear head friends that can work it out. thanks for the help

-d
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    It's easy, and believe me, it's not like I'm "mister safety guy"
    I played like that for years, it used to be the norm!

Well, I gotta go to bed, It's 11 or 12 hours later here. The owner of this cafe gave me the key and gestured to me to close up when I'm done!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!