compression..

low_lightlow_light Posts: 251
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
what is a good compressor to get if you are interested?

ive been playing around with the comp/sustain boss pedal and the aphex compressor.

any thoughts, good or bad about either or on compression at all?

-d
www.myspace.com/eotoband
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    *sniffs*

Is that someone else's credit card I smell?

Shannon apparently has a compressor pedal, but I have NO idea what kind of pedal it is... Telesonic could probably fill ya in on that one...

Robert Keeley has a pretty good compressor that gets a lot of talk around here, but it's on the pricey side. http://www.robertkeeley.com

I personally use the MXR DynaComp, and for what I need it's pretty good. It's also QUITE affordable, and incredibly well-built. It's got a pretty distinctive tone, so you definitely have to like the sound...

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Aphex or the Boss, although from what I gather, the Boss concentrates more on the Sustainer than the Compressor. But those two specifically will probably be more transparent (less coloration) compared to the other options out there.

I assume you want an FX pedal, not a pro-sumer rack gear unit...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the boss has a tone knob. that's just all kinds of wrong.

my keeley comp was pretty cool. it just wasn't an effect i used a lot. telesonic's modded dynacomp or his own creation would do just as well i'm sure.
    Originally posted by exhausted

I would agree with you there, but for some people... you know...

I'd rather just get the amp into power tube saturation, or maybe use a Universal Audio LA-2A comp/limiter...
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    saturation is where all my compression comes from (thank you hotplate). i use very very little external compression even when recording guitar tracks.

my acoustic gets a lot of comp but the electric just doesn't need it because of the range i run my amp at.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by exhausted

That's hilarous and it'd be a good sig on a music forum.

I have a shannon modded dynacomp and it's great.

Low Light. I think those are pretty decent ones you mentioned, I had been meaning to check out the apex.

I like the Barber tone press a lot. It's a different idea completely than most of the stuff out there, parallel compression. Some reviews say it's more like a clean boost that dosen't break up as much. The compression isn't as noticiable as with say the dynacomp. I like it, but I like my dynacomp too.

you can hear sound clips at http://www.barberelectronics.com

Lately my compression has been mostly amp compression along with the fairly heavy compression that comes from my rat.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    It's important to note that amp-derived compression (AKA saturation) comes from pushing the power tubes quite a bit. That requires turning an amp's master output up to like 4, 5, 6, 7... maybe more... and some of the amps out there will blow your eardrums at 3. It would have to be a tube amp, or hybrid with power tubes (like Music Man amps, not like Marshall hybrids). Also, pushing an amp like that tends to overdrive the amp, giving you (what else?) OVERDRIVE. AKA Distortion. So if you want super-clean tone with compression, a pedal is pretty much the only way.