My daughter will be switching to electric soon

JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Any tips for a first electric guitar? Her teacher says she's good enough and ready - I don't want to break the bank! Can you give me any ideas as to price range, what to look for, what to avoid? (She's almost 11, and probably at full height growth at 5'1" about, so something on the lighter side is probably a good idea)
R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• what do you consider to be "breaking the bank"?

i've heard people say that 300 bucks for a guitar seems expensive...when little do they know how much you can really drop on this habit :)

Since you're going to want a lighter guitar, i recommend staying away from a Les Paul and going with a Fender Strat. You can get a standard Fender Stratocaster for around 300 (That was my first electric, still have it and love it more than i did when i got it). Squire (Fender's lower brand) makes decent Stratocasters as well (in the 200 dollar range). Personally, i'd go with the real deal Fender Stratocaster for 100 bucks more, since even after years of playing it can still be worthwhile to pick it up (at least it is for me).
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Jane, it just depends on what she thinks looks cool and what sounds/feels good.

Trust me, we can find you something in the look/sound/feel that she'll like without breaking the bank.

What you need to do is take say an off day morning or afternoon or something and have her go in and look and play everything on the wall expensive and cheap so she can tell the difference, once you can tell you can find the bargains in the cheapos. Tell the salesmen who ask you if you need help you are switching to electric and you are trying to find a guitar that looks sounds and feels good to her so you want to play everything in the under 300 or so price range. Target around 200 to 300 bucks though for the actual guitar though we can probably get you out cheaper as well.

What you have to look at is a package maybe (he can make one for you if he's worth a shit, you don't have to buy a pre pack.) you will need a strap probably, picks, an amp/cable, some extra strings and a gig bag most newer guitars are set up with 9's. Most of the time you can usually get them to throw in some picks/strings/ a cable that kind of thing depending on how much they are making on a deal.

one thing, buy an amp with a headphone jack (you'll thank me)

I could spout guitars at you all day, but the bottom line is it's imperative she makes the decision on the look sound and feel so she'll take ownership and love it.

The main deal in a first guitar is look sound and feel (action) along with tuning stability. If she keeps that thing in tune, she'll further develop her ear and that will help her further develop as a player
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Can't go wrong with a squire. I think they're like what, $200?

It's so much easier for a beginner/young girl to play a solid body electric like that. It's hard to get your arms around a big accoustic, and harder to hold down the strings. She'll love playing an electric guitar.
    Can't go wrong with a squire. I think they're like what, $200?

It's so much easier for a beginner/young girl to play a solid body electric like that. It's hard to get your arms around a big accoustic, and harder to hold down the strings. She'll love playing an electric guitar.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/511077/

the yamaha pacifica is a diamond in the rough for the most part under 200 bucks,

Squire affinities are made in china and out of cheap poplar. The Korean made squires are not bad at all but I actually prefer the pacificas, partly because they are alder.

Everybody builds some crap, so it's kind of important you shop for a while and just find one that speaks to you.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I agree with Paco on his choice. I've been looking around at guitars lately, just kind of researching,,and that Yamaha is a really nice guitar for the price. It's well built, and you can always upgrade the hardware later if you so desire. A Stratocaster-like guitar ( like the Yamaha one there) is a good choice for kids. They're strong, with maple necks that don't break as easily if they fall over,,,,,,,,, and it will fall over! You can sit on the couch and play it because the cord comes out of the front of it, instead of the bottom. Won't scratch the furniture as easily! :) and the 3 pickups have more versatility.

This is the tiniest coolest little amp for about $130.00, and the one I recommend for starting out. It can run on batteries or house power and has all kinds of cool special effects built in. It's a great little amp. I have amps all over the place and when I'm just fooling around with something I go to this one in the living room. She can carry it around anywhere! :
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/112528

This amp is louder and has 4 overdrive effects, but might be better if she is going right into playing with some other people in a little band:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/480022/

Get her a cord, some picks, some strings,,, probably stick with 9 gauge strings for young small hands, like paco says, they'd probably throew them in,,,, and get a decent quality padded gig bag and a guitar stand.
    Also get an electronic tuner and some headphones. Purists say that you should learn to tune by ear,,and you should,, but for electric, you'll be happy that she has an electronic one! And both of those amps above have headphone jacks so she can play silently,,,for which you'll be thanking Paco! :D
    You can probably do that whole package for about $400.00 or plus or minus and have a nice little starter pack.

Good luck, JaneNY!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

You think the Slayer tour is out, or what?

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Thanks everyone for the ideas - I think I'll print it all out to keep on hand. She already has some picks, and does have an electronic tuner/metronome, though she has learned to tune by ear as well. Thanks for the idea of the headphones for the amp too :) The price range sounds doable - 100's rather than 1000's.

Whospearljam, and Paco thanks for the links - those were helpful - we have quite a good music store here which we'll probably buy from, but it is good to have some ideas of what we're looking for before we go in.

She is the little one that went to State College and MSG with me.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • JaneNY wrote:
    Thanks everyone for the ideas - I think I'll print it all out to keep on hand. She already has some picks, and does have an electronic tuner/metronome, though she has learned to tune by ear as well. Thanks for the idea of the headphones for the amp too :) The price range sounds doable - 100's rather than 1000's.

Whospearljam, and Paco thanks for the links - those were helpful - we have quite a good music store here which we'll probably buy from, but it is good to have some ideas of what we're looking for before we go in.

She is the little one that went to State College and MSG with me.

Have fun,,, and I'm glad you're buying local.

Here's your shopping list
    Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica
    Extra 9 gauge strings
    Cord
    Roland microcube and power adapter
    Batteries for amp, for playing in the park to raise money :)
    Padded gig bag
    Guitar stand
    Headphones

And
    Earplugs for you! :D

Actually, I love hearing kids play the geetar. Enjoy!

I was at the State College marathon. I was the one with the blue jeans on. Did you see me? :)
    Be kind, man

Do you know how much a 10-year-old girl playing guitar could pull in panhandling?

Talk about bank...

She could put herself thru college.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Do you know how much a 10-year-old girl playing guitar could pull in panhandling?

Talk about bank...

She could put herself thru college.

I have a friend who plays trumpet . She goes to the upper west side of Central Park and makes about 60 to 80 bucks an hour!

It's not panhandling, by the way! It's called busking, and respected in Europe. Except when I do it,,, then the cops say,,"move on"

:)
    Be kind, man
    I would point you in the direction of the Yamaha Pacifica as well the 012 and 112 are very good value for money and will see her through into her more advanced playing easily enough. I remember being 11 and trying to play guitar...small hands makes it quite a challenge though I can't really think of guitars that get around this. Best you go for a full size and get used to it...I would stay away from Daisy Rock...a bit gimiky and will just make it difficult for her to change to a full size guitar when she gets older/bigger.
  • Tav wrote:
    I would stay away from Daisy Rock...a bit gimiky and will just make it difficult for her to change to a full size guitar when she gets older/bigger.

My wife is fully grown yet for her to pick up my PRS is uncomfortable for her hands. If they're good enough for Nancy Wilson, how could they be gimicky?

Their guitars aren't all novelty sized, they do have full size guitars that are different only because they weigh less and have neck dimensions that are better suited for feminine hands. Let's face it, how many girls get "man-hands".
    - Justin

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
    nothing wrong with daisy rock if she wants to go that route. They are just built by girls for girls thats all.

check out Frantone effects in NYC too ladies.
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    My wife is fully grown yet for her to pick up my PRS is uncomfortable for her hands. If they're good enough for Nancy Wilson, how could they be gimicky?

Their guitars aren't all novelty sized, they do have full size guitars that are different only because they weigh less and have neck dimensions that are better suited for feminine hands. Let's face it, how many girls get "man-hands".

PRS can be uncomfy for alot of guys too...what with the wide fat back neck shape...I think something like my SG would be a choice for a lady. Thin neck in both directions...great for smaller hands...yet still a full size guitar.
  • Tav wrote:
    PRS can be uncomfy for alot of guys too...what with the wide fat back neck shape...I think something like my SG would be a choice for a lady. Thin neck in both directions...great for smaller hands...yet still a full size guitar.

Jane Wiedlin played SGs. As does Nancy Wilson. Good call.
    - Justin

• TavTav Posts: 63
    My dad used to play one but his hands aren't so slender now...though they are quite big he doesn't get on with my SE PRS...so it's Fender size for him...a lot of the Fender Strat carves are quite accomodating and I guess guitars with Floyd Roses usually have quite slender necks...though they are quite wide.
  • I think it's all about her getting a guitar that she's comfortable playing, and that will inspire her to play, too.
    There's no huge need to get her into a full sized guitar yet if she's not comfortable with it.
    I was just thinking about this a bit,,,,
    The Yamaha Pacifica is a Strat knock off and I think it has a 25 1/2 inch scale,,,,, Gibsons are 24 3/4 inch which are slightly easier for small hands but generally heavier guitars. The SG is light, but the necks are delicate for knocking around. If she can play the Pacifica, that's a very versatile guitar for her.

The Daisy's are actually very cool guitars and are built for young women. Guitars are made generally for guys, and there is no rule that they have to be a certain scale length. Shorter scales have different sounds to them,, and are easier to play,,, and the Daisies are built for smaller women. The scale length is 22 1/2 inches. I've played them in shops and they are well built guitars.

Purists can say that you should use a regular guitar,,, but one of the most common problems for a pro guitarist is wrist and finger problems because in all reality, guitars are not ergonomically correct by any means. To play properly, you have to conform to the guitar, rather than have a guitar that conforms to you! This gives me a great idea for the next guitar I'm gonna build! :) I ain't telling anybody yet!

I know a woman, Sharon Isben, who is one of the world's most respected classical guitarists. She's very small, and she has classical guitars built to her specifications. They are weird for me to play, the neck is shaped differently, the body doesn't fit me, because my curves are way different than her's! So there's no argument from me that a guitar has to be a standard one. Especially if you sit and watch her play! It's breathtaking to hear her play.

Of course,, you say she's been playing for a while, so maybe she already IS on a full size guitar and better than all of us! :D

Maybe a DaisyRock and that little Roland Microcube will be a great combination! :)

http://www.daisyrock.com/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_id/112528
    Be kind, man