What is a downbeat? (Kind of Jazz related I guess)

JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
edited March 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I teach aerobics, and while I love music, I have no musical theory training (dance training though, so I'm fine with hearing most beats), and I've got this routine to a Diana Krall song, Come Dance with Me. The choreographer of the routine I'm learning says listen for the downbeat, and I don't really know what that means. Most of the time I'm on beat, but could anyone explain what downbeat means? (if it means anything specific) Someday I plan to take a musical theory course.
R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    Or, in drumming terms, you could call it the "back beat". Think of it as every time the drummer hits the snare drum.
  • The down beat is the first beat in the measure.
    If the measure is in 4/4 time, which is most pop and rock music,,,, then you count 1,2,3,4, 1,2,3,4. Which I'm sure you've done a few times being an aerobics instructor!
    The "1" is the down beat.
    If you listen to that lick on bass on Pink Floyd - Money,,,, that's in 7 beats per measure,,,, the downbeat hits on every 7th beat. Count that 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and you'll get the feel of where the one is. That's the downbeat.

The Hardest Working One in Show Business is Jame's Brown's "1"! :D

Whoa-oa-oa! I feel good!!! "Good" is the on the "1" or the downbeat.

Haha,,,,, another 1, or downbeat is Eddie Vedder singing elderly woman. That song is in 3 beats per measure. He even says it! "One two three, two two three,,,,,,"

I'll see if I can find the song you're using. Maybe it's in a different time signature.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Great song. That's definitely in 4.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRobAUvXo0g
    If that's the one you're talking about.
    Don't worry about the intro, the part where she starts singing,
    "Hey there kids",,,, Hey is on the downbeart. :cool:
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    The first beat of a measure is called a down beat because when a conductor conducts it, it is his arm going down. If I could draw a picture here in the post I could draw the shapes of different metres when they are conducted and you'd see that the first beat of ANY pattern is always down, and in the middle.

:)

If you're listening to a dance routine, it should be the strongest, most obviously accented beat. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Ebowie, who's_pearljam?, and justam, you have all been very helpful! It makes more sense now - thank you. And yes that is the song who's_pearljam. I've taught the routine about 10 times this week, but I still felt a little blind with it - I think it will be a little easier now.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008