Billy Strings Guest DJ on SiriusXM Pearl Jam Radio

demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,763
edited September 30 in The Porch

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,020
    edited September 30
    Lets gooooo! this is amazing... Billy is truly 1 of 1. He can literally play anything

His new album "Highway Prayers" is out now, and you should check it out even if you don't like bluegrass music! There is inspiration on that album from everyone from Doc Watson to The Eagles to Tom Petty to The Beatles to Widespread Panic to even Richard Petty himself.  

While promoting his new album, he was scheduled to play his OWN festival named "Renewal" in Colorado this past weekend, but his wifes water broke on Night 1 of the fest and he had to fly to Michigan to go be with her. After a long weekend, mother and child are healthy and Billy boy is a dad! 

Billy has said before that there were a few CD's his mom used to keep in the "truck": one of them was Yield. And he used to spin it until the CD eventually became unplayable from scratches. He's covered many PJ songs and has even taken a shot at Mother Love Bones "Crown Of Thorns."  

He's played Ohana in the last few years and even met Eddie after having previously said he never got to see a PJ show in his life. 

Heres Billy tackling a double-timed version of "In Hiding":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj6w0fjOKww
    Post edited by SandyRavage on
  • JD87070JD87070 Posts: 253
    Quite the week for BMFS! Seeing him for the first time Friday night at Pine Knob (unless his extended sit-in with Phish last month counts, i was there night 2 in Grand Rapids with my daughter).
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,108
    JD87070 said:
    Quite the week for BMFS! Seeing him for the first time Friday night at Pine Knob (unless his extended sit-in with Phish last month counts, i was there night 2 in Grand Rapids with my daughter).
    Have the best time! I saw him for my first four times last year. That said, I'm a bluegrass-head. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,020
    JD87070 said:
    I basically have the same experience as you. I'm a jam band fan and knew nothing about him, but saw him sit in with String Cheese Incident in New Orleans as my first Billy Experience. Billy was on a Grestch Hollowbody playing one of SCI's songs, but then ripped into Ramblin' Man. I was floored. Saw him for the first time the next day at Jazzfest and have now seen him 10 times since 2022. I have tickets to all 3 nights of his New Years run this year and i'm debating catching him in Memphis in early December. 

I was at his now famous Pine Knob show last year and it was insane. I wish I could be there this year, but I'm actually working a show for Johnny Marr this Friday and I'm actually super excited for that. I was also just in Detroit before PJ @ Wrigley this year, so it didn't work out. 

Go in with no reservations. Feel the music and experience. You're going to have an amazing time!!! 

(ps, there are still a LOT of tickets left for New Years this year if you have an amazing experience and want more!!!!) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wnREqinwNA
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,763

Billy Strings Guest DJ SiriusXM Pearl Jam Radio September 30th 2024

Tracklist ..

Pearl Jam - Brain Of J.
    Pearl Jam - Hail, Hail
    Pearl Jam - Alive
    Pearl Jam - Soon Forget
    Pearl Jam - Given To Fly
    Pearl Jam - In Hiding
    Pearl Jam - Red Dot
    Pearl Jam - MFC
    Pearl Jam - Do The Evolution

Repeats .. EDT Time

Thu 9 am
    Fri 12 pm
    Sat 11 am
    Sun 8 pm

• Very cool.  Love Billy so much.  The first time I saw him around 7 years ago he covered In Hiding and I was blown away.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,945
    Nice! Love me some BMFS :bow:
    just finally got a chance to listen. Nice song choices! Maybe he’ll be inspired to play a PJ song for us at Pine Knob tomorrow night, did Nutshell there last year so you never know.
    JD87070 said:
    I basically have the same experience as you. I'm a jam band fan and knew nothing about him, but saw him sit in with String Cheese Incident in New Orleans as my first Billy Experience. Billy was on a Grestch Hollowbody playing one of SCI's songs, but then ripped into Ramblin' Man. I was floored. Saw him for the first time the next day at Jazzfest and have now seen him 10 times since 2022. I have tickets to all 3 nights of his New Years run this year and i'm debating catching him in Memphis in early December. 

I was at his now famous Pine Knob show last year and it was insane. I wish I could be there this year, but I'm actually working a show for Johnny Marr this Friday and I'm actually super excited for that. I was also just in Detroit before PJ @ Wrigley this year, so it didn't work out. 

Go in with no reservations. Feel the music and experience. You're going to have an amazing time!!! 

(ps, there are still a LOT of tickets left for New Years this year if you have an amazing experience and want more!!!!) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wnREqinwNA
    Holy crap, you weren’t kidding. I’m tempted to call in to work tomorrow and go again! What a show he puts on. I’ll upload some pics tomorrow morning.
    Repeats, EST times.

Sat 11 am
    Sun 8 pm

Some of my pics from Billy last night. Awesome show! Definitely converted me from casual fan to someone who will go see him anytime he’s playing nearby. He also brought his dad out for five songs toward the end of the first set. No PJ covers, maybe tonight, but i’ll have to watch them on the Nugs stream if so.
    ^ Nice shots!
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,037
    JD87070 said:
    Some of my pics from Billy last night. Awesome show! Definitely converted me from casual fan to someone who will go see him anytime he’s playing nearby. He also brought his dad out for five songs toward the end of the first set. No PJ covers, maybe tonight, but i’ll have to watch them on the Nugs stream if so.
    Those are unreal, what camera do you use? 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    Yield was the album that pulled me into pj world 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    Hawk123 said:
    JD87070 said:
    Those are unreal, what camera do you use? 
    Thanks! I use a Panasonic Lumix ZS100. This is the first time i’ve tried a sepia-style, seemed to fit the bluegrass vibe better than black & white so i gave it a shot.
    Last repeat tonight @ 8pm EST.
    If you missed the special its now on SiriusXM On Demand.