Recording from a PA

trappedinmyradiotrappedinmyradio Posts: 1,189
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
okay - question - what would be the best way to record from a PA? i was thinking through the output with a minidisc - any suggestions?
I'll dig a tunnel
from my window to yours
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i used to just take the line out into a cd recorder. same thing. it should work as the simplest solution.
  • That will work just keep in my that the mix will probably be extremely vocally heavy. In another words the vocals will be extremely strong in the mix.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Take a line off the stereo bus. Done.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Take a line off the stereo bus. Done.

thanks - ten ten ten ten ten
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
    That will work just keep in my that the mix will probably be extremely vocally heavy. In another words the vocals will be extremely strong in the mix.

I thought the same thing and had and arguement with my bass player about it. I figured that alot of the drum and guitar sounds would be generated by the amps on stage, especially in a smaller place, making the recording off the mixer really uneven. Has anyone recorded off the mixing desk?
    Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Lukin_oz wrote:
    I thought the same thing and had and arguement with my bass player about it. I figured that alot of the drum and guitar sounds would be generated by the amps on stage, especially in a smaller place, making the recording off the mixer really uneven. Has anyone recorded off the mixing desk?

That's exactly true. If your guitar is loud enough that it isn't in the PA, or isn't very loud in the PA, it won't be on the recording. The BEST way is to use a split-snake into a recorder, but that's impractical for most bands. The second-best option is to record off an aux buss, but that takes some time and effort as well.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    stick a mic in front of the speakers.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    brain of c wrote:
    stick a mic in front of the speakers.

A mic (or pair of mics) at the back of the room is more appropriate. The vocals will lose presence in the mix, but the overall balance will be more acceptable.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.