File under category: Money I shouldn't have spent

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just bit the bullet and picked up a Radial PZ-Pre acoustic preamp/DI for my acoustic-electric. There are some potential gigs in the near future, and I needed something to give me some further control over my tone during gigs (my guitar has an aftermarket pickup with no preamp controls). If you've never seen them, they're some pretty cool boxes:

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-pzpre.htm

Three-band EQ plus a feedback notch control, two separate inputs for different instruments, pre- and post-EQ outputs on both XLR and 1/4", a tuner output, footswitchable boost, FX loop... it's pretty much ideal for a gigging acoustic musician. The only thing I wish was different was the ability to power the unit via Boss-style 9-volt adapter, or phantom power on the XLR.

Now I need to get another pitchblack and maybe a reverb pedal... I'm about an inch away from building my acoustic pedalboard...
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I just bit the bullet and picked up a Radial PZ-Pre acoustic preamp/DI for my acoustic-electric. There are some potential gigs in the near future, and I needed something to give me some further control over my tone during gigs (my guitar has an aftermarket pickup with no preamp controls). If you've never seen them, they're some pretty cool boxes:

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-pzpre.htm

Three-band EQ plus a feedback notch control, two separate inputs for different instruments, pre- and post-EQ outputs on both XLR and 1/4", a tuner output, footswitchable boost, FX loop... it's pretty much ideal for a gigging acoustic musician. The only thing I wish was different was the ability to power the unit via Boss-style 9-volt adapter, or phantom power on the XLR.

Now I need to get another pitchblack and maybe a reverb pedal... I'm about an inch away from building my acoustic pedalboard...

digitech just came out with those hardwire lexicon versions of thier pedals, the reverb might be pretty decent of course the spring will sound almost campy but the plate will probably work out, or you could just get an Alesis or Lexicon verb rack unit.

Glad to hear the PZ pre is working out.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    digitech just came out with those hardwire lexicon versions of thier pedals, the reverb might be pretty decent of course the spring will sound almost campy but the plate will probably work out, or you could just get an Alesis or Lexicon verb rack unit.

Glad to hear the PZ pre is working out.

I haven't gotten the unit yet, just won the auction on fleaBay... I have a gig this Friday, so I'm hoping to be able to try it out then. There are quite a few specific DI's for acoustic instruments out there, so I've been sort of agonizing over the decision. Other models I've shopped:

BBE AcoustiMax - http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-Acoustimax-Sonic-Maximizer-Preamp-Pedal?sku=157031

Aphex Acoustic Xciter - http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Aphex-Acoustic-Xciter-Pedal?sku=150130

LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI - http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/LR-Baggs-Para-Acoustic-DI?sku=307160

The Aphex and BBE units have the advantage of sonic maximizers / aural exciters (same damn thing, or close anyways). I've always liked the instant "wow" factor of sonic max. on almost anything, but it can be too easy to overdo.

The LR Baggs and BBE units offer an FX Loop as well, although it's a TRS insert-style point... not the biggest drawback, sure, but I just didn't like the way it was wired.

But the big advantage of the PZ-Pre was the dual inputs and the Boost function. I may decide to have two different guitars at a gig, and the ability to just tap a footswitch between them is pretty sweet. And even more important, it's nice to have a Boost for solos... trying to shred with an acoustic is hard enough; without a boost, it's almost impossible to cut through the mix.

As for the FX I'm thinking about... a NICE compressor would be cool somewhere down the road, as would a decent EQ for some different tones, but for now, I think reverb is the only thing I really want. I actually will be looking at DigiTech, but more likely the DigiVerb. I had the pedal once before, and didn't like the fact that it only had a mono input (I wanted the ability to use stereo delay), but other than that, loved the sound. I always said I'd get one again if I built an acoustic pedalboard.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i had the aphex a few years back. it wasn't great. i switched to using the eq in the POD and never looked back. i just (obviously) turn off all the amp/cab/mic modelling and use the effects/eq. i have EQ curves set up for each of my three acoustics. a little bit of comp and a touch of reverb. i use a barber tonepress for boost/comp externally.

i currently have tech 21 boost RVB reverb. it's ok. quieter than some. not as much fun as a verbzilla but it works the best for me since i have no effects loops in my amps. it's fine on acoustic too but i much prefer running stereo everything with the POD. so, on an acoustic pedalboard, i still vote for the verbzilla.
  • exhausted wrote:
    i had the aphex a few years back. it wasn't great. i switched to using the eq in the POD and never looked back. i just (obviously) turn off all the amp/cab/mic modelling and use the effects/eq. i have EQ curves set up for each of my three acoustics. a little bit of comp and a touch of reverb. i use a barber tonepress for boost/comp externally.

i currently have tech 21 boost RVB reverb. it's ok. quieter than some. not as much fun as a verbzilla but it works the best for me since i have no effects loops in my amps. it's fine on acoustic too but i much prefer running stereo everything with the POD. so, on an acoustic pedalboard, i still vote for the verbzilla.

I hadn't thought of using my POD... hmmm... Even just using the tube preamp model would be kinda cool. I have the XT Live, so that would be really easy and convenient, if maybe a little on the large side.

I keep thinking the Carl Martin compressor/limiter would be great on an acoustic. It's a lot of money, but it has a feature set that's hard to beat in a pedal.

I've not even heard of the Tech 21 reverb... and I'm usually on top of their product line. I looked it up, and I'm not sure if it would be a good choice for an acoustic instrument... the description doesn't sound very friendly towards clarity or sparkle. The boost is an interesting function, but I'd like my verb regardless of volume level.

As for VerbZilla vs. DigiVerb, I really like my VerbZilla on my electric 'board, but I remember the DigiVerb sounding like it would compliment an acoustic pretty nicely. And I don't need any fancy stereo acoustic FX, anyways... my gigs are part of a duo, so I already have someone else to fill in the sound. But I'm sure I could pull the VerbZilla off electric duty and throw in onto the acoustic, and get really great results.

But, back to square one, I'll have to give my POD a shot, see what I think. Thanks for the advice!
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the tube preamp model didn't work too well for me but give it a try. hell, you've already got the xtl so nothing to lose. a few patches with boosts in the stomp position and you're set really.

as for the tech 21, the verbzilla has more interesting models etc (well, the tech21 really just has your basic hall or something). there's nothing really special about it though. i never liked the digiverb but try their new hardwire series like paco suggested.
  • Well, I just played around with my POD and set one full bank of presets up for the acoustic... used the tube preamp twice, plus the Jazz Chorus and one with no amp. I put a compressor with boost in the stomp position on three of them, plus used a sub-octave for the fourth (to do some fake bass parts on some songs). I put sine chorus on one, analog chorus on one, an opto trem on one, and a phaser for the hell of it on the last one. A timed quarter-note digital delay on one, analog slap-back delay on another... reverb to taste on three of them, with one dry...

It's always so hard for me to set patches on headphones. I never know how it's going to sound in a PA or in a mix. But I set the thing up with plenty of on-the-fly options, and I can always tweak a parameter during soundcheck or setbreak. The big question is overall EQ... my guitar's output is pretty bass-heavy, but has a nice natural midrange and a pretty sweet top. I guess I'll find out on Friday. Of course, now if I get my preamp before the gig, I'll have two different toys to play with... it may be hell trying to get them to play good together!
  • Let us know how it works! I was just looking into one of them. I've been busy complicating my life with more loopy effect electric guitars, and playing acoustic a lot more as well as cello.
    I have a really good friend who's Wilco's production manager, and he got three for their studio for their next CD.
    I think that thing will work pretty well equalizing an acoustic cello. Hopefully it can take out my squawky parts. :D

And have a good gig, MIG!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Well, I got the box today, just in time for the gig... It's freakin' awesome! It gave me exactly the control over my direct signal that I was looking for. Notched out the feedback frequency, a touch of EQ (mostly taking down some lows, which are pretty ballsey on my guitar), and dialed in a boost for solos. Took about 10 minutes to dial it all in, and then I basically left it for the rest of the gig. It definitely had a very musical sound, it's obviously tailored for acoustic instruments. The input/output features are definitely what I needed, too...

Also, I used the POD for the gig, although I ended up using that with a hollow-body electric for another sound, and to play some stuff that is otherwise kinda tough on my acoustic (the ol girl has some bad action... I think I may take her in for a proper setup). I need to spend a little more time dialing in some presets for the next gig, I had some issues with gain structure, volume matching, etc. I set up one preset with the Jazz Chorus, which matched the guitar really well, and set up a sub-octave for some fake basslines. I need to get a light overdrive setting in there, and maybe just a compressor for boost on another.

We got a lot of good feedback after the gig, and may have other gigs lined up as a result... I need to get some business cards printed so we can hand them out at gigs. It won't be a full-time job anytime soon, but we'll make a little pocket change...