Options

I FINALLY beat the eBay system!

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just picked up a Marshall 4 x 10" guitar cab! For $200! I'm giddy!

Apparently one of the speakers is blown, so I'll have to de-solder that... and maybe replace it with a Jensen. I wonder what 2 Celestion 35-watt 10" speakers on the bottom would sound like with 2 Jensen 25-watt P10R's on top. Hmmm....

Speaker Cabinet (used): $200
Shipping and Handling: $40
Two New Jensen Speakers: $160
Shipping and Handling: $25
The guitar cabinet of my dreams: Priceless? No, $425.

Well, maybe I'll play a 3 x 10" for a while, get the new speakers this summer (when I REALLY have spare change).

Of course, eBay has P10R's for sale. Hmmm...
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Now that I think about it, I wonder how two ceramic speakers would sound next to two AlNiCo speakers. What do you guys think?

Also... the cabinet is wired up for 140 watts at 8 ohms. One would assume that the speakers are 8 ohm speakers wired in series-parallel... but might they be 2 ohm speakers in parallel only? Definitely not 32 ohm speakers in series. Damn, have to wait for the cab to get here, then check and see.

I'm also kinda worried about wiring two 25-watters into a cab with two 35-watters. If they're series-parallel, do you want to wire the two 25-watt cones in parallel, wire the two 35-watt cones in parallel, then wire the two pairs in series, or wire one of each in parallel pairs, then series the whole thing together? What about all-parallel wiring? Will it blow up if I have 4 cones at 2 ohms, but two are rated at 25 watts and two are rated at 35 watts? And which speakers do I hit first, the 25-watters or the 35-watters?

Damn... I need an on-call Electrical Engineer! Of course, I'm currently running an 8 ohm amp into a 16 ohm cab, and driving it pretty hard... I should probably be shot on sight. Marshall guys would kill me if they knew I wanted to put AlNiCo speakers in a Marshall cab.

Paco! Exhausted! Help me! Beer, anyone?
  • Options
    BhagavadGitaBhagavadGita Posts: 1,748
    beating ebay system is cool

congrats
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Joy!

Cool cab. Cooler price. I looked for cool verbs analog echo's and analog delay's all weekend. I just can't "spring" for real tube reverb.

I picked out the perfect leather sofa and it was 3 grand. I could grow my own cow for that so no go there either.

Everything I want cost to much money.

O well anyway back on topic. My favorite Marshall cab of all time is the TV cab. (Tall Vintage with 4 ceramic 25 watt Greenbacks) same as Orange used in many of thier cabs.

I love alnico. It is the best and warmest break up but you really have to watch the power and the ohm's.

Most alnicos are 16 ohms. the marshall's may be 8 or 4 ohms wired in parallel. wire the alnico's in parallel and they'll give you 8 problem is you are now driving them harder but since you have 4 speakers you should be ok.

Basically you never know untill you try so start with a lower volume and work up hitting the preamp tubes harder first before turning up the power tubes I would think.

I would think much like tires it's best to go with speakers of the same ohm level. 16 with 16. I think you are ok anyway. You don't use a lot of wattage. Get the Alnico's. Later on you can replace the bottom speakers with two greenback celestions at 25 watts. I think you should get a great tone out of what you are thinking about but what the hell do I know. Just make sure (test and retest) the entire cab is running at at the correct ohm level be it 8 or 16 before you hook it up and that the amp is ok to run at 8 or 16 ohms most new and old heads are switchable. It's ok to run a 16 ohm cab with an 8 ohm head because you have room to spare. It's not ok to run a 16 ohm head into a 4 ohm cab because the amp is pushing 3 times more than it should be It'll sound great for a few seconds than that's all it'll sound. Impedence has to be matched or you can blow something up.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by Pacomc79

Most alnicos are 16 ohms. the marshall's may be 8 or 4 ohms wired in series. wire the alnico's in series and they'll give you 8 problem is you are now driving them harder but since you have 4 speakers you should be ok.

parallel wiring will give you the 8 ohms out of two 16 ohm speakers.
  • Options
    duely noted Ex. I get it backwards in my head sometimes.

the speakers should come with an instruction sheet on how to do each McCready. If not. Search http://www.crutchfield.com and there is a detailed decription. It ain't that hard.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    I have a feeling I'll just have to wait and see what resistance the stock speakers are and how they are wired. I'm PRETTY sure they're series-parallel 8-ohm speakers. That's where two speakers are wired in parallel, then the other two are wired parallel, and then the two pairs are wired together in series. Then you end up with the same resistance for the system as the speakers started. Here's a great link I found:

http://www.tonetubby.com/spkwire.htm

I knew that all before, but it always helps to have a refresher now and then. Especially if you want to keep your 30-year-old vintage amp in operational condition!

Anyways, I'm excited. I might just replace the top two with Jensens now, and then down the road get a pair of Weber Blue Pups to put in the bottom.

Oh, Paco... no go on the Greenbacks. Unless I could find older speakers in workable condition. Celestion only makes one 10" speaker for guitar now, the "Tube 10", designed to work with vintage tube amps (think Bassman). It's 30 watts, ceramic magnet:

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/general_detail.asp?product=Tube%2010

Oh well, should be here next week... woo hoo!
  • Options
    my choice would be the weber blue pups. I forgot celestion didn't make the GB's in a 10 sorry.

Jensens sound great the alnicos are wonderful especially in a bassman.

good luck man I think you're on the right track. thing is once you get it done everyone's going to want to use it in the studio.

I think Morello has a thing for those old 4x10's too.
  • Options
    They can be a bit hard to come by...

I'm pleased that I found it, that's for sure.