Reverb?

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, looking for a reverb pedal... my Mig sounds fucking awesome, but it's just a bit dry...

Here are my options:

1. Fender 63 Reverb RI, $400-450. Too pricy for me now, but I'd love one someday.

2. Danelectro Spring King, $100-140. Still a bit pricy, discontinued, but available on eBay. It's a spring emulator, with no tube buffer, a one-trick pony.

3. Danelectro Corned Beef, $25-35. Can be bought new from Musician's Friend. Still kind of a one-trick pony, but at least it's cheap. But is it too cheap?

4. Boss RV-?, $90-150. RV-2 and RV-3 are reverb/delay, the RV-5 is just reverb. They all have multiple models, but the RV-5 has the most. All three are stereo-capable. And Boss has a great reputation.

5. Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail, $100. A great-sounding unit. When it wants to be. An unreliable $100 pedal? Not too sure about that.

6. DigiTech DigiVerb, $100. I've had bad luck with DigiTech in the past, but maybe they deserve a second chance. The soundclips on Musician's Friend are gorgeous, and there are a lot of good models (spring, reverse, hall, church, room, gated). Plus, it too is stereo. Soundclips:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040508122318150131025216265421/g=home/search/detail/base_id/75876

I like the DigiVerb (the Hall, Church, Gated and Reverse models give it a huge leg up on all the rest). I just wonder about the reliability. Plus, I plan on getting a Boss TU-2 tuner to use on my pedal board, and I want to be able to power up my pedals with the daisy-chain function on that pedal. Can the DigiTech power off that system? I'm also planning on getting a Boss DD-5 or DD-6, so having delay isn't at all necessary.

What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with any of these? Or have any others to recommend? Share your wisdom...
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    digiverb. those x-series pedals are catching on. you'd have to check their specs for the power consumption though. edit: 4.8W at 9V. still pretty high. i would use a dedicated adapter for it.

the grail is having major quality problems i've been reading about. and it needs 500mA (ie, it will smoke a TU-2's adapter)

the spring king i have no experience with but it's huge and i hate huge pedals.

the corned beef is cheap and sounds cheaper.

the RVs are noisy i've heard others say.
  • stefanwastefanwa Posts: 43
    In case anyone's interested... "Explosions in the Sky" (anyone know them?) uses Boss RV-3 pedals. Checked it at a live gig.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Just in case anyone was paying attention...

I just ordered a DigiTech DigiVerb. It should be in my greedy little hands on Thurs (05-13). I'm a bit concerned about it's reputation for eating batteries, but I guess I'll deal with it. And I'll have to see if I can power it using the Boss TU-2 daisychain. I have a gig on Saturday, so I'll be putting the damn thing to the test. I'll post a review once I've had a chance to digest it.

Another cool side-note: I picked up an aluminum-case pedal board from a pawn shop this weekend for $30. Much nicer than my old piece of particle board. I have a feeling I know why it was pawned... opened it up, and caught the immediate smell of some wacko tobacco. Somebody really needed a bag that weekend, eh? Glad I never picked up that habit... I already have one hobby that takes all my money and makes me miss classes. After the gig, I think I'm gonna get a RVM-hanger air freshener to set in there... which flavor will get me the best tone?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the battery will last about 4 hours.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    good choice. I was thinking of going with the holy grail, if you like the digiverb let me know, that was number 2 on my list.

Remember I had a Little Lanilei Real Spring Reverb for a little while. Decent sound, pero, zero drive. you couldn't hear it. It was damn near invisible. If I want reverb I want to hear it damn it. It wasn't near surf reverb at all. I decided digital was the only pheseable option. Reverb tanks are the only ones that do real spring reverb proper and they are 400 bucks. I think I'll check out the digiverb the EH just looks so much cooler.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • low_lightlow_light Posts: 251
    the Tu2 is powered normally by the 9v 200ma adapter. But its okay to have ma's above the low number.... so if you use a 500 or 1300 ma adapter on the tu2 it should power the new pedal eh? maybe not. maybe itll all go to hell.

not sure about it all yet but getting closer. best of luck.

-low
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Well, the power question has yet to be answered, but...

It sounds pretty good. I'm still playing with the options, but I gigged with the damn thing right out of the box, just put it on "Spring" and cranked the Mig 50. Not bad.

I'll post more when I actually sit down and toy around with the bugger.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    im thinking about getting a reverb pedal as well.now i have some of the best on my fender twinreverbII...but...i like a little bit more reverb added to a lead then i do on a rythym...and going back and forth between the amp is a bit obnoxious....
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by 62strat
    im thinking about getting a reverb pedal as well.now i have some of the best on my fender twinreverbII...but...i like a little bit more reverb added to a lead then i do on a rythym...and going back and forth between the amp is a bit obnoxious....

try out that digitech. http://www.digitech.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.