My friend's new toy...

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well, I was out with my buddy last week, going through the music stores and pawn shops as part of a semi-regular routine looking for new gear. We got to our last stop, and I saw a Martin parlor-body guitar, no cutaway, no electronics, that is just about the ideal guitar for my buddy (a singer-songwriter in sort of a Wilco/Whiskeytown vein, with a Modest Mouse sensability). It's a 000-1R, solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, 14 frets free of the body joint. He traded his Martin DC-1E straight across for it (pawn shop came out ahead in sale value, but oh well) and we started looking for an electric system that would be non-invasive. We had thought about a Rare Earth or other Fishman blending system (pickup and in-body mic) but the prices were a bit high. We ended up looking at LR Baggs, and selected the Double-Barrel system, which has a ribbon pickup in the bridge (similar to a piezo) and a mic that sticks to the cavity, with an active preamp and an end-pin jack. We ordered the wrong ribbon size, so had to return and re-order the system, but when we finally got it, we had it installed by a competent luthier here. Done in a couple hours. We went in, plugged it into an acoustic amp in the shop, and just using the ribbon pickup, it was one of the best acoustic-electric tones I've ever heard (I've heard better, but from boutique systems or high-end Fishman systems costing in the thousands of dollars). I can't wait to give the mic a shot (it uses a stereo cable in the guitar that splits to a pair of mono outs on the other end). But even for just plug-and-play gigs where he just uses the pickup through a DI box, it will sound great. It's a perfect workhorse guitar, and it plays and feels great. I can't say enough how impressed I am with this LR Baggs system, and I haven't even cracked the surface of how we can apply it in different venues.

Just thought I'd share...
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Nice Mig. I love triple zeros. They are so comfortable.

I know I've been impressed with the quality of LR Baggs stuff before. That's really cool. Nice story.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.