Somebody at Gibson read my mind...

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've kinda been looking for a giggin' acoustic-electric for a while... thought about the Variax acoustic, but I want the unplugged vibe there, too. What I REALLY want is a Martin D-18E, the same guitar that Cobain played in their Unplugged session. I want a guitar that is an acoustic, but has an electromagnetic pickup. I would also install a piezo or contact pickup to get a more traditional A/E tone. I've considerred both Gibson and Epiphone J-160's, the John Lennon signature model, but I don't care for dreadnaughts.

So, looking around today, I find this beauty:

http://montana.gibson.com/guitars/J-180/j-190superfusion.html

It's not exactly what I'm looking for (pickup is a blade, not individual poles; Fishman piezo isn't my first choice, apparently only one jack with the switch) but it's the closest thing I've found. Plug that thing into an A/B box, send one channel to a Deluxe Reverb and the other to a really nice DI...

What would REALLY be nice is if it wired each pickup through the volume knobs to a TRS jack with separate sends for each pickup, and had a breakout box to plug into. Maybe too much to ask.

Anyways... if any of you punks runs across one of these, play her for me and see what the pickups sound like...
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I've kinda been looking for a giggin' acoustic-electric for a while... thought about the Variax acoustic, but I want the unplugged vibe there, too. What I REALLY want is a Martin D-18E, the same guitar that Cobain played in their Unplugged session. I want a guitar that is an acoustic, but has an electromagnetic pickup. I would also install a piezo or contact pickup to get a more traditional A/E tone. I've considerred both Gibson and Epiphone J-160's, the John Lennon signature model, but I don't care for dreadnaughts.

So, looking around today, I find this beauty:

http://montana.gibson.com/guitars/J-180/j-190superfusion.html

It's not exactly what I'm looking for (pickup is a blade, not individual poles; Fishman piezo isn't my first choice, apparently only one jack with the switch) but it's the closest thing I've found. Plug that thing into an A/B box, send one channel to a Deluxe Reverb and the other to a really nice DI...

What would REALLY be nice is if it wired each pickup through the volume knobs to a TRS jack with separate sends for each pickup, and had a breakout box to plug into. Maybe too much to ask.

Anyways... if any of you punks runs across one of these, play her for me and see what the pickups sound like...

nice, expensive as balls no doubt but nice. It'd be nice and townsendesque
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    nice, expensive as balls no doubt but nice. It'd be nice and townsendesque

Expensive, needing significant set-up labor after purchase, new tuners, re-cut the nut, bridge adjustment, neck adjustment, possibly a fret re-dress (I am so pissed off at how these $2500 guitars are delivered to customers)...

But the sound...
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Dude, I can't even find myself a cabinet...much less a beauty like that!
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • nailz100 wrote:
    Dude, I can't even find myself a cabinet...much less a beauty like that!

Well, if you'd just figure out what you want...
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    If I had a vertical split cab like the one on E-bay I'd be set...
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • nailz100 wrote:
    If I had a vertical split cab like the one on E-bay I'd be set...

You shoulda bought the Mesa cab and re-wired it...

Or the Groove Tubes cabs... either one...