PUP indecision...

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well, I've finally squared away my plan for the Nashville Tele... going with a Harmonic Design Super 90 in the bridge and Fralin Strat pups in the middle and neck.

HOWEVER...

I don't know which Fralin model will be able to match or come close to the output of the S90. Harmonic Design claims pretty much full P-90 output, so I'd need some beefy pups to compete. I'm going to call Fralin and ask, but anyone here have any input?

Also, while I don't have the funds right now, I've decided the goldtop Tele is getting a zebra-coil Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge and a nickel-covered Gibson Classic '57 in the neck. Can't wait for either project to get done!
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Fat lotta help any of you guys are...

Ordered the S-90 and two Fralin Hot for Strat pups and a pickguard from Warmoth. Will let you know when they're installed...
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Hi Mig!

Ok, here's what I'd do if I was you:

If you're going with the S90 in the bridge, I'd call Lindy Fralin and get advice from the expert. What he'd probably recommend would be a couple of hot Strat pickups to match up. :cool:

:D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

If you're going with the S90 in the bridge, I'd call Lindy Fralin and get advice from the expert. What he'd probably recommend would be a couple of hot Strat pickups to match up.

Actually, he kinda gave me the runaround... didn't want to make any recommendations. But he pointed out his exchange policy a bunch of times, told me to try one set and if I didn't like it, I could swap. So, I'll only have to wait another 6 weeks if I don't like the first set.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Yo bro...methinks you're gonna have to go custom wound in order to match output...or get close. Lindy won't steer you wrong, so definitely give him a call.

Loving the idea for the Tele. I would love to own a tele again some day. I used to play Tele Jr's...which BTW are amazing instruments if you can find one that was made in the mid-90's. :)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'm going with the Fralin Blues to go along with my HD S-90.

but mine are going in a strat.

Why not vintage plus's from HD

or the vintage hot's from Lindy?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I'm going with the Fralin Blues to go along with my HD S-90.

but mine are going in a strat.

Why not vintage plus's from HD

or the vintage hot's from Lindy?

Lindy seemed to think the Hots would be a better match for the S90, although he made no promises. I was waffling a bit between the Blues and the Hot, and I went for the Hots. If I don't like them, or they're TOO hot, I can just exchange them and pay shipping both ways. So, not too big a risk. I was pretty sure I wanted Lindy's pickups in it, but I did consider the HD's and some of Seymour Duncan's models, even some stacks, but with a hot single-coil in the bridge, I figured I wouldn't save much getting stacks in the middle and neck. I have some reservations about the Hots, but I guess I won't know until I try them out. I did go with the 10%-over Hots, not the 15%, at least.

Too bad I couldn't get Fender's cobalts. I loved the tone of those pups for some reason.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Lindy seemed to think the Hots would be a better match for the S90, although he made no promises. I was waffling a bit between the Blues and the Hot, and I went for the Hots. If I don't like them, or they're TOO hot, I can just exchange them and pay shipping both ways. So, not too big a risk. I was pretty sure I wanted Lindy's pickups in it, but I did consider the HD's and some of Seymour Duncan's models, even some stacks, but with a hot single-coil in the bridge, I figured I wouldn't save much getting stacks in the middle and neck. I have some reservations about the Hots, but I guess I won't know until I try them out. I did go with the 10%-over Hots, not the 15%, at least.

Too bad I couldn't get Fender's cobalts. I loved the tone of those pups for some reason.

same deal here, love the cobalts. but they aren't for sale. The fact that they are noiseless is a bonus.

If you want to take out a lean on your home you could go with Kinmans.

I personally went with the blues for the same reason. I was afraid of the hots being too hot. I still wanted to retain the treble but get a nice round tone, not to bright, hot but not way to hot so I went with the blues. If there's an issue I'll send them to lindy for an overwind.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    You'll be fine! Who else can figure out a better match? :D That should be a nice arrangement, MIG.

I just got some stock tele pickups from him that are better than any tele pup I've heard, I have to paint this funky body I got off E-bay, with a b-bender first before I put it together permanently.

I also got his new floating jazz pickup that is the coolest. It even sounds good on a junker acoustic!
    I'm going to try and stick it on my 335 and see how it sounds. If that sounds good I may try and make myself a 335 style guitar. I've got a great piece of maple for it.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart