Some cool shit to be found out there...

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
edited September 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, my buddy took me to this quiet little guitar shop that I've never seen before, just run out of a guy's converted garage with no signs, no advertising, no anything. Just a guy with a little shop and an internet connection.

He specializes in HIGH-end acoustics (Noble, Arrow, luthier-built Gibson) and vintage stuff. They had a PRS McCarty w/ birds, a 1959 DC Les Paul, a gorgeous LP Standard, a 1974 Music Man Sting Ray bass (4-string, natural blonde)... some incredible mandolins, a washtub bass, a 1962 blonde BandMaster amp with 2x12" cabinet (beautiful shape), an Airline amp/case, a few really nice dobros and resonators (some from the 1920's and 30's)... a virtually mint-condition 1966 Fender Champ amp (little grillcloth damage, but no rust, perfect tolex, original and mint condition speaker)...

The only thing he could've had, but didn't, was a few Larrivee's...

Anyway, there is a lotta nice old gear out there, if you know where to look.

I really wanted to get the Champ... such a nice little amp, amazing tone with the LP Standard... but they wanted $550. The bad thing about good music shops is that they know what this stuff is worth.

Side note: There is a pawn shop with a mint-condition Epiphone Joe Pass guitar. It's a single-cut hollowbody electric, two humbuckers, LP wiring. Anybody know the story on this guitar? Or who Joe Pass is? The guitar has amazing tone, it plays and feels awesome, and they only want $550 for it (seems like a $700-900 guitar).
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i really like those joe pass models. no idea who joe pass was. i'm guessing a jazz guitarist. $5%0 isn't too bad a price if it's in really good shape.
  • Don't know who Joe Pass is?

Oh Noooooohhhhhhh,,,, where have I failed you all.:(

He was maybe about the greatest fingerstyle jazz player ever.

Those guitars are great. You don't see many of them around. I was going to order one and the music store said 4 months.
    They're about 900 plus or minus bucks.
    Check the neck connection, as that was a potential fault with those style. If it's good, you probably have a good one. Some jazz guys change the humbuckers to a Bartolini or a Bendetto.
    That tends to be a jazz players touring guitar. They leave the $9000.00 Bendetto at home or for a special gig.

If you don't want it,,,, hmmm,,, let me know!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

The Epi Emperor II Joe Pass models are still selling new via Musician's Friend, and they get fairly good reviews there (some folks didn't seem to know what they were getting). Street price: $599.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.