After all this time, I found her...

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Alright, a bit of back-story. When I first started playing in a band, I was playing a Peavey Raptor strat-clone that I picked up used for cheap. A buddy of mine lent me his American Strat for my first gig with the band, and I fell in love with it. He made me a deal, and I bought it. I recorded an album with it and played any number of gigs with it... she was my baby. Then one spring, I picked up an Epiphone '57 Les Paul reissue and our bass-player quit. I needed a bass, and I was in love with my gold-top LP. The Strat got traded off (for a really terrible Yamaha bass). I have ALWAYS regretted letting that guitar go, and I went back a couple months after I traded it in to see if I could buy it back. It had already sold. I've looked high and low, in every shop and regularly on eBay... never found one like it.

Here she is:

http://www.bostonguitar.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/fender-83-strat-sb.JPG

1983 Fender Stratocaster Standard in Cherry Sunburst.

And I'm flat-assed broke.

Anyone want my Tele Bastard? 1999 Fender Telecaster, made in Mexico, with a Seymour Duncan Quarter-Pounder in the bridge, and no neck pickup. I have the original bridge and neck pickups, and the original pickguard if you wanted to change it back to a Mexican standard, or just reinstall the neck pickup. Everything's there. Seriously... I need to buy this Strat!

I could also sell my Musicmaster if someone wanted to pay a fair price for it...

Man, what do I do? $899, but in great condition and with a hardshell case...

Moral of the story: DO NOT EVER SELL YOUR FIRST TRUE GUITAR!
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i'd buy the vibro-champ. :p
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Get a loan or put it on layaway until you have zee money.

I also would buy the Vibro Champ.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Indiana Jones himself couldn't nab my Vibro Champ... so keep yer hands to yourselves!

I just got paid today. Do I dare blow two weeks' wages on my old strat's twin sister? Do I dare?
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Indiana Jones himself couldn't nab my Vibro Champ... so keep yer hands to yourselves!

I just got paid today. Do I dare blow two weeks' wages on my old strat's twin sister? Do I dare?

I'll be interested to see what decision you made. Does he take back the long lost love or does it remain an ex, a happy memory of some good times.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    $900 is a hell of a lot for an 83 strat. not really a guitar that justifies that cost. this is purely an emotional investment.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    $900 is a hell of a lot for an 83 strat. not really a guitar that justifies that cost. this is purely an emotional investment.

Sure it is, but who hasn't taken back that ex for one last spin just to see if there's anything left before dumping it again. The question is that spin worth $900 big one especially since he's already had it before.

Sorry mcgreadyisgod.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    Well, I'm still thinking about it. I can afford it (barely) but it IS a lot more than it should be worth. Street value of that guitar should be around $650. If it was priced at $700 I'd buy it without thinking. I'm probably going to put my Tele bastard up on eBay and see if I can get $300 or so out of it. I'll probably keep the Musicmaster, it's worth more to me than it would sell for. I have some old pedals that I haven't used in a while that I'll probably sell, too. Not much money in those, but still.

I decided two years ago that I wanted my guitar back. This is my chance. We'll see how it goes...

I should add here: I didn't sell her because I didn't like her, I just needed to get into a bass and amp, and I had to let one of my guitars go to do it. I've always missed her, it was the hardest gear-related decision I ever made (and gear is VERY important to me). So yeah...

Hands off the Vibro Champ!
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Ahem,,,,
    Mig,,,,,,,,,,,look at the watch swing back and forth in front of your eyes....

You are getting sleepy,,,

Sooo sleeeeeeeppppppyyyyyyyyyyyy,

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    (he's asleep now,,, shhhh)

*whispers into migs ear
    "mig,,,, fork out a hundred bucks more and get a new deluxe with the S-1 switching. best strat so far."

ok, shhhhh:

CLANG CLANG CLANG!!!!!!
    WAAAAAAAAAAKKE UUUUUUUUUUUUUPP!!!!
    :D:D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

My butt is sore and my Vibro Champ is missing... shit.

Damn hipnotists...

The only strat I want is that cherry-burst beauty. But I would love to play one of them cobalt strats...
    *snozzz*
    WHAT!?! What happened? Where am I?

My butt is sore and my Vibro Champ is missing... shit.

Well, Exhausted got the vibro champ,

as for the soreness?
    Hey,, wasn't me,, I was over in the corner emptying out your wallet!:D

Play a cobalt before you buy the cherry one. At least give me that!
    Be kind, man

I might just do that... I kinda want to try it out, anyways.

How does position 4 (neck/middle) sound? That's the #1 reason to play a Strat... the Little Wing sound...
    With the pushbutton out, the controls are the same as a regular strat, and yes, that sound is right there.
    When you push the button in, it gives some extra combos, and really beefs up the bridge pup.
    I'm happy as all hell with it. I got the 50th anniversary. Not really needed, it just was in stock at the moment. The neck and fretwork is awesome. You have to keep looking at it thinking,, really? a Strat finished this well?
    Be kind, man
    When you push the button in, it gives some extra combos, and really beefs up the bridge pup.
    I'm happy as all hell with it. I got the 50th anniversary. Not really needed, it just was in stock at the moment. The neck and fretwork is awesome. You have to keep looking at it thinking,, really? a Strat finished this well?

my sentiments exactly. I played one last weekend. How do you like the 54 pups in there bob?

I'm between yours and the AM Deluxe Ash. and I'm leaning towards the latter for locking tuners, 3 color burst etc.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    my sentiments exactly. I played one last weekend. How do you like the 54 pups in there bob?

I'm between yours and the AM Deluxe Ash. and I'm leaning towards the latter for locking tuners, 3 color burst etc.

I have the "american standard deluxe 50th anniversary", not the 54. I think it's a great guitar that sounds great. The pups are dead quiet and sound great. The S1 switching helps make the bridge pickup pop. I haven't even taken it apart to see what the switching looks like, because I feel no need to change it!. The AM deluxe ash is about the same guitar without the foo foo gold and 50th anniversary stuff on it, which I don't really care about. I got it for about the same price as the AM deluxe, so I went for it.

The neck is perfect for me, too and pre-broken-in I threw some 11's on it and adjusted the trem, and that's it.

It, of course, is no cherry sunburst 83 strat though!:D
    Be kind, man

How does position 4 (neck/middle) sound? That's the #1 reason to play a Strat... the Little Wing sound...

So when I DO get around to buying that '57 RI strat, I should install the five way switch that comes with it? I was thinking of keeping it stock for awhile...and if I did change anything, it'd be the 3-way for the 5-way.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
    Well, for me... the best reason to have a Strat is for that position 4 sound. Some people are also big fans of position 2... with the 3-way switching, you get positions 1, 3, and 5. I'd be for putting the 5-way switch in there, hells yeah...
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    I figured you were gonna say that. How hard of a switch is it to do?
    8-8-09 Calgary
    My URL

Originally posted by WiLL75
    I figured you were gonna say that. How hard of a switch is it to do?

That's a question for the solder kings...

*sits back, grabs a beer, waits for the fun to start*
    That's a question for the solder kings...

Easy! If you know how to solder, it's easy.
    If you don't know how to solder, then it's even easier. You pay someone a few bucks to do it for you:)

I don't know why they even still put the 3 way's on. All the original players ( like Buddy Guy) talk about how they used to complain about having to stick the switch manually between the 123 positions to get that in between sound. That's why fender went to the 5 way in the first place.
    Be kind, man

I remember the 3 second rule from highschool, so I think I'm all set. ; )
    8-8-09 Calgary
    My URL

I decided two years ago that I wanted my guitar back. This is my chance. We'll see how it goes...

Did you end up getting it?
    Originally posted by puremagic

NOPE!

See other thread...
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Originally posted by puremagic

He went with black beauty.
    8-8-09 Calgary
    My URL