Well, while the real world continued to move...

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
And as we were without our jamily (especially us on M&G, the bastard cousins of the jamily)...

I've been working on putting together a recording system for a studio. As some might recall, I've been in the world of engineering and recording music for quite some time, but I've never owned any actual recording gear myself.

However, there's a few local bands who want my services as a recording engineer, but the studio I've worked with so far is dismantling (the main guy is moving to L.A.) so I have no studio to work in. Enter stage left: a credit card with a $5,000 limit.

So, looking at a PC with a DigiDesign 002 running ProTools LE. And some mics, cables, stands, outboard gear, etc. It's scary how much this stuff costs, I swear to Mike...

So, if any jammer in the area wants a place to record... I'm your guy!

Any advice, words of wisdom, etc.?
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah look up Doppler Studio in Atlanta (where PJ recorded Yield and Vitalogy)

rent a room there and start a business they already have a 64 channel board in the main rooms with Eventide harmonizers and very nice mic pre amps. My buddies at GC can rent anything else you temporarily need.

come hang out with me and we'll talk about mics and nuances of guitar amps while brushing up on the manuals of Pro Tools LE. Brendan O Brian is around there from time to time so we can follow him and pester him until he lets us get his coffee and scrub the floors moonlighting as engineers. I'll of course still be getting your coffee.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Well, I think I have everything I need, and I'm barely squeaking underneath my total budget. And even the minimum monthly payment on this would be painful. It's one hell of a leap to take...

But I do know that I want this studio. Damn it!

I wish I could just pick up and move to a place and start working in a studio. Especially one with good gear, great rooms, and an existing client list. And I don't care who gets me coffee...
  • Oh, and one more thing...

What does everyone think of the Brenden O'Brien re-mixes on the Greatest Hits album? They're subtle, but I really like the changes.
  • Maybe when I'm in Missoula visiting my sister in February I'll check out your studio. Have a drum kit set up in there yet?
    When one does not see what one does not see, one does not even see that one is blind. -Paul Veyne
  • kusko_andy wrote:
    Maybe when I'm in Missoula visiting my sister in February I'll check out your studio. Have a drum kit set up in there yet?

Two. A vintage Slingerland and a new Sonor.
  • Oh, and one more thing...

What does everyone think of the Brenden O'Brien re-mixes on the Greatest Hits album? They're subtle, but I really like the changes.

I like it for headphone listenability, and I think it features the vocals even more. But I'm glad the original Parashar mix of Ten had all the reverb and gloss, because it gave it such a powerful sound on the radio and everything, and that's partly how Pearl Jam got so big, and thus was able to be so free-wheeling later in their career.

Speaking of which, while I'm glad they picked up O'Brien post-Ten, I still think Parashar is the ONLY rock producer to ever get replaced after producing a 10+ million-selling record. He must have been like, "what the..."
    When one does not see what one does not see, one does not even see that one is blind. -Paul Veyne
    Oh, and one more thing...

very very nice, like taking a blanket off the speakers. It sounds as it should have sounded in the first place.

I've wanted a 10 remix for a while, this was well done.

Nirvana's Nevermind is another album that should be remixed. The wall of sound cave reverb type vocals and stuff were huge at that time I guess and so were the "pop" drums but O brien's mix sounds better in my opinion.

Great above point Andy.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    very very nice, like taking a blanket off the speakers. It sounds as it should have sounded in the first place.

I've wanted a 10 remix for a while, this was well done.

Nirvana's Nevermind is another album that should be remixed. The wall of sound cave reverb type vocals and stuff were huge at that time I guess and so were the "pop" drums but O brien's mix sounds better in my opinion.

Great above point Andy.

i haven't heard the ten remixes yet as i haven't bought the cd yet.

the nirvana boxset has a vig mix or two from nevermind. they sound much more straight forward in my opinion than the andy wallace product.
    exhausted wrote:
    i haven't heard the ten remixes yet as i haven't bought the cd yet.

the nirvana boxset has a vig mix or two from nevermind. they sound much more straight forward in my opinion than the andy wallace product.

Aparently the entire album was finished by Vig, Andy Wallace went in and remixed drums espically to make it "radio friendly" and professional, clearly he knew what he was doing because it sold a lot of records but when I listen to Nirvana I find myself wondering what the Vig mix would sound like.

In Utero is a much much more raw sounding album and I really prefer that tone better.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i agree. and in utero would have been even starker had scott litt not been brought in on a few tracks.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    In Utero is a much much more raw sounding album and I really prefer that tone better.

I agree, and it is the same with Vs. for me. I prefer Vs. to Ten because with Vs. it sounds like they are rocking out in your living room (most of the songs anyway).
  • I still maintain that Yield is the best-engineered and best-produced album in the catalog...

But we all have biases.
    I still maintain that Yield is the best-engineered and best-produced album in the catalog...

But we all have biases.

Recorded right here in the good old ATL off off piedmont. Doppler studios. If I'm lucky I'll get a night intern position there.
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Color me jealous
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.