Monthly Musicians and Gearheads garage sale...

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well, since we've got our monthly liquidation in effect...

I have a Line 6 Variax I've owned for a year. Tobacco sunburst. Sounds good, plays really good, in great shape. It's currently in a Musician's Friend hard case, but I'd knock off a few bucks and sell it with just the padded gig bag. $500-ish.

Also, a Roland DB-500 bass amp. 165 watts, 12" speaker and a tweeter, solid-state, but with tube and tube overdrive models, compression, and chorus. Great shape, sounds great, louder than it looks. DI outs, FX loop, etc. $350-ish.

Also, a Marshall JCM 800 combo amp, model 4210, two channels and reverb. All tube. 50 watts. Celestion GT-75T speaker. FX Loop, footswitchable. Has some issues with the channel switching. $450-ish.

Also, a broken Ibanez ArtCore for parts. Headstock is severed, but all hardware, wiring, electronics, etc. in good shape. The humbuckers are really nice, as are the tuners. $75-ish, or part out.

Whatcho all got?
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• the marshall interests me as i am kinda in the market for a tube amp (kinda meaning i don't have a ton of money, but am looking around). Do you have any pictures of it by chance? How about age, condition, etc.?

and issues with channel switching...as in, it doesn't work or what? Just curious, it might not be a big deal since i'd probably just play through the clean channel and just use my pedalboard.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • the marshall interests me as i am kinda in the market for a tube amp (kinda meaning i don't have a ton of money, but am looking around). Do you have any pictures of it by chance? How about age, condition, etc.?

and issues with channel switching...as in, it doesn't work or what? Just curious, it might not be a big deal since i'd probably just play through the clean channel and just use my pedalboard.

Here she is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/mccreadyisgod/Marshall.jpg

Sorry it's blurry... I have a pic of the back that's not on PhotoBucket yet, but if you wanna see, I can get it to you. Cosmetic condition is about an 8 out of 10. Grill is great, logo is great, tolex is faded... don't remember any holes, tears, gaps, etc, but I can look at it again tonight. It's faded with age, but not abused.

This amp dates roughly to the early-to-mid 80's, probably around 1984 (Van Halen and all that).

Here's the deal w/ the channel switching: without the footswitch, you can operate each channel separately, or blend the two together. With the footswitch, you should be able to choose the clean or drive channel by itself. But the footswitch won't do that, it still blends. The footswitch will work for the reverb, but not channels. The switch I have is a generic switch, not a legit Marshall switch, but it should still work (just two switches on a TRS plug). I've meant to check it out, but can't afford to get it looked at by a tech (which is why I'm selling stuff to begin with).

I've watched eBay prices, and these are going for $550-650, so I figured $450 would be fair, so someone could get it fixed. I'd fix it and keep it, but I'm definitely not a Marshall guy, I'm a Fender amp player. It's got the power to drive a 4x12" cab (it's the same amp as the popular 2205 head), but the combo itself is plenty loud. It may need new tubes, not sure (they're not blowing up or glowing red yet).
  • Here she is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/mccreadyisgod/Marshall.jpg

Sorry it's blurry... I have a pic of the back that's not on PhotoBucket yet, but if you wanna see, I can get it to you. Cosmetic condition is about an 8 out of 10. Grill is great, logo is great, tolex is faded... don't remember any holes, tears, gaps, etc, but I can look at it again tonight. It's faded with age, but not abused.

This amp dates roughly to the early-to-mid 80's, probably around 1984 (Van Halen and all that).

Here's the deal w/ the channel switching: without the footswitch, you can operate each channel separately, or blend the two together. With the footswitch, you should be able to choose the clean or drive channel by itself. But the footswitch won't do that, it still blends. The footswitch will work for the reverb, but not channels. The switch I have is a generic switch, not a legit Marshall switch, but it should still work (just two switches on a TRS plug). I've meant to check it out, but can't afford to get it looked at by a tech (which is why I'm selling stuff to begin with).

I've watched eBay prices, and these are going for $550-650, so I figured $450 would be fair, so someone could get it fixed. I'd fix it and keep it, but I'm definitely not a Marshall guy, I'm a Fender amp player. It's got the power to drive a 4x12" cab (it's the same amp as the popular 2205 head), but the combo itself is plenty loud. It may need new tubes, not sure (they're not blowing up or glowing red yet).
    alright. Well i'm new to tube amps, so i don't know if i'm a Marshall guy or Fender guy or a something else guy. I've been considering a Hot Rod Delux too...how does this compare to one of those?

and since i'm new to the tube amp world...what tubes does the amp use, and how much would it cost to replace the tubes when that time comes? (i hate being a poor college kid)
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • oh, and how long do the tubes last before needing to be replaced?

• This amp uses ECC83 preamp tubes (also known as 12AX7 tubes) and EL-34 power tubes. The power tubes usually run about $25-40 for a pair (this amp takes two) and the preamp tubes are about $8-15 apiece, and it uses 5. I'd personally go with Sovtek...

http://www.thetubestore.com/sovtek12ax7wb.html

And Svetlana...

http://www.thetubestore.com/ne-el34.html

With an Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in the phase inverter (valve 5)...

http://www.thetubestore.com/ehx12ax7.html

Power tubes will last one to two years with regular playing. Preamp tubes will usually last twice as long as power tubes.
  • is changing tubes something a regular guy can do (ie not a gearhead), or is this something that i better let a pro do?

• is changing tubes something a regular guy can do (ie not a gearhead), or is this something that i better let a pro do?

Boy, that's a can o' worms on this board.

The amp mfg's say you should bias an amp every time you replace tubes. Actually swapping new tubes in is easy, you just pull the old ones out and put the new ones in. But biasing is something a pro should do. This amp isn't self-biasing (some are) so you'd probably want someone to bias it. If I was keeping it, I'd probably take it in, have the new tubes installed, and bias it. I like to bias my amps every few tube swaps (like every other or every third power tube swap) because, unless your amp goes way outta whack electronically, you should be able to swap new tubes of the same type without needing to re-bias. Biasing is checking, and adjusting, the operating voltage of the power tubes. It's akin to getting your car aligned.
  • Boy, that's a can o' worms on this board.

The amp mfg's say you should bias an amp every time you replace tubes. Actually swapping new tubes in is easy, you just pull the old ones out and put the new ones in. But biasing is something a pro should do. This amp isn't self-biasing (some are) so you'd probably want someone to bias it. If I was keeping it, I'd probably take it in, have the new tubes installed, and bias it. I like to bias my amps every few tube swaps (like every other or every third power tube swap) because, unless your amp goes way outta whack electronically, you should be able to swap new tubes of the same type without needing to re-bias. Biasing is checking, and adjusting, the operating voltage of the power tubes. It's akin to getting your car aligned.
    How much does it run to bias an amp?

damn, maybe i should stick to solid state :) haha. no no, i want to....need to go to tube...eventually, but right now it seems like a lot of work, as well as a big-time monetary commitment for me. AHH, damn this hobby of ours...there's always something more to buy.

ugh, unfortunately i think i'm gonna have to pass on the marshall, although it sounds like a very good deal, one that if i didn't have rent/books/other shit to pay for i would snatch up right up. And as always, thanks for the overwhelming amount of info...i think i can speak for everyone here that your vast knowledge does not go unappreciated!