Sound clips

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I'm finally ready to sit down and track some soundclips for Eric's very nice Shannon pedals, the Overdrive, the Phaser, and the UniPhase (phase/vibe). Anyone have any suggestions for riffs? I can probably do something for the OD, and since Eric isn't making them right now, he probably isn't concerned, but I'm drawing blanks on what to play through the Phaser and UniPhase. Probably some sorta Hendrix-y riff for the UniPhase, like a Little Wing ripoff? Whatya all think?

In other news, for those that care, I'm *ALMOST* done mixing this album... I can't wait for it to be done, I'll direct you to some soundclips when they're mastered and posted. AND, I have my goldtop Tele back, and the Nashville Strat-o-Tele should be done Monday or Tuesday. It's looking like a good week!
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    the uniphase should have some hammer ons. 12 bar blues style. Pull ups double stops that kind of thing. Boost it with the OD. To show the sounds overdriven and a fuzz if you've got one. Hell just rip off hendrix (little wing) or perhaps Yellow Ledbetter.

The phaser big open chords messing with the knobs to show the scope, then some basic soloing. Also show this with some killer distortion on it fast riffing and soloing. With say a big muff Smashing Pumpkins comes to mind.

The OD needs to be shown clean through a variety of pickups, at say moderate gain levels, and then full out. Even show what the effect is on and off with it as the first OD and your second say a keeley baked. You catch my drift I'm sure. A little rock. Stones....Texas Blues SRV and then some heavy power riffing.

Do what you do, make your own style come out and the clips will be better.

speaking of tracking, MIG your opinions on this new E-H Ribbon please..

http://www.guitareffectspedals.com/electro-harmonix looks oddly familiar, really similar to some Oktava's I've seen before.

I don't know why exactly, I just really like Ribbon mics. and tube mics

I've been digging that new Blue Ball with the ringer mount too but for $199 I would assume the Rode NT1 might be a more tried and true value. I've decided to cut a little album by Christmas and have some fun with it. I hopefully will get one of my good friends and ex GF consequently to play on it. She's a great songwriter an piano player and her dad has his own studio so if we're lucky we can track there with his AT 4040 and do most of the production on Logic 7.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    the uniphase should have some hammer ons. 12 bar blues style. Pull ups double stops that kind of thing. Boost it with the OD. To show the sounds overdriven and a fuzz if you've got one. Hell just rip off hendrix (little wing) or perhaps Yellow Ledbetter.

The phaser big open chords messing with the knobs to show the scope, then some basic soloing. Also show this with some killer distortion on it fast riffing and soloing. With say a big muff Smashing Pumpkins comes to mind.

The OD needs to be shown clean through a variety of pickups, at say moderate gain levels, and then full out. Even show what the effect is on and off with it as the first OD and your second say a keeley baked. You catch my drift I'm sure. A little rock. Stones....Texas Blues SRV and then some heavy power riffing.

Thank YOU, Paco, for YOUR input. Where's everyone else? I figured the UniPhase stuff would be easy, Hendrix would be the inspiration there for sure. But the thoughts on the Phaser are cool... I can do Pumpkins riffs. Maybe throw a little Stoney G in for flavor... ;) The OD clips will be easy, no worries there.

Pacomc79 wrote:
    speaking of tracking, MIG your opinions on this new E-H Ribbon please..

http://www.guitareffectspedals.com/electro-harmonix looks oddly familiar, really similar to some Oktava's I've seen before.

I don't know why exactly, I just really like Ribbon mics. and tube mics

I've been digging that new Blue Ball with the ringer mount too but for $199 I would assume the Rode NT1 might be a more tried and true value. I've decided to cut a little album by Christmas and have some fun with it. I hopefully will get one of my good friends and ex GF consequently to play on it. She's a great songwriter an piano player and her dad has his own studio so if we're lucky we can track there with his AT 4040 and do most of the production on Logic 7.

I really can't judge a mic before I've heard it, and ribbons especially can vary from capsule to capsule. Not like an SM57, where every mic sounds the same (even the 30-year-old models). I have a certain affection for E-H, so I WANT it to be good, but I can't say, and you really can't take any reviewer's word for complete truth (have you ever seen a BAD Pro-Audio review?) so it's hard to get an impression without using one. Ribbon mics are VERY fragile mic's, too, so if you get one, take VERY good care of it. Drop it once and it's fried.

I'd love to get a pair of Royer ribbons, they have amazing depth for vocals and have a really warm sound on drum overheads. Plus they have a strong reputation for hi-fi guitar amp mic'ing. But that'll have to wait ($$$). I may try to pick up a Blue Bottle sometime in the next year, it's kind of the new default vocal mic. And the next two or three albums I'm recording are vocal albums (the current project is instrumental, a la Godspeed! and Mogwai). I'd also love to have a matched pair of AKG 414 ULS's in my mic box, but those are pretty spendy, too. I need to get that Focusrite 4-channel mic pre, and then start filling in mics and get some analog compression for my front end.

One thing I'll say is that I'm not convinced that tube mics have any huge advantage over their FET counterparts. They may fit certain vocalists, but I don't think they're a universal fit. I'd rather have a good, clean tube compressor than a tube mic or tube pre. Those little glowing bottles of sonic goodness aren't always the answer!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Hey MIG,

Well, I would be happy to hear any pentatonic blues lead sounding thing for the uni and phaser. So Yellow ledbetter little wing type stuff would be sweet.

How bout the top gun theme song :)
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    oooh, another thing, different instruments to show the range. A bass, and this is cool, a harmonica. Phased out crazy jon popper like, maybe a little fuzz on it too.

and thanks for the mic tips Mig. when I can afford a Royer (if ever) I'll be extremely careful. Until then maybe a cool condenser is right up my alley, I need one of those and an SM 57 to go along with my S 835.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.