Got my latest Tele yesterday...

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
GORGEOUS!

I'll post pic's later when the mods are complete. But FYI, it's this model:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=42/g=home/search/detail/base_id/115785

I got it in Aztek Gold, which is Fender's take on gold bullion (the traditional "goldtop" Gibson color). I was VERY pleased by the color... lots of metal flake, and the gold is quite rich in color. I was worried before I got it, it looked a lot darker in catalog pictures, but it's very close to Gibson goldtop in color and tone.

The frets are freakin' huge... I like it, though. The fretboard is in bad need of oil, but other than that, it's beautiful. I'll post more info about the sound when I have a proper chance to plug it in, although the pickups are definitely going to be swapped.

Anyways, I'm pleased... very, very pleased...
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    GORGEOUS!

I'll post pic's later when the mods are complete. But FYI, it's this model:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=42/g=home/search/detail/base_id/115785

I got it in Aztek Gold, which is Fender's take on gold bullion (the traditional "goldtop" Gibson color). I was VERY pleased by the color... lots of metal flake, and the gold is quite rich in color. I was worried before I got it, it looked a lot darker in catalog pictures, but it's very close to Gibson goldtop in color and tone.

The frets are freakin' huge... I like it, though. The fretboard is in bad need of oil, but other than that, it's beautiful. I'll post more info about the sound when I have a proper chance to plug it in, although the pickups are definitely going to be swapped.

Anyways, I'm pleased... very, very pleased...

yeah those are sweet, glad you like it.

what's wrong with the Dimarzio's?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah those are sweet, glad you like it.

what's wrong with the Dimarzio's?

I'm not sure if there's anything "wrong" with the DiMarzio's... I'll plug it in tonight and give it a full run-down.

But I'm planning on putting either two Classic 57's in, or a Classic '57 in the neck and an uncovered PAF in the bridge. Just the sound I'm looking for.

The DiMarzio's and the coil-tap pot will be on eBay once I decide to swap, if anyone's interested... ;)
    Okay...

Fucking awesome.

Neck is great, not fast, but great for rhythm. The jumbo frets are awesome. Plays pretty well, and remember, this thing is literally right out of the box. Action's good, nut is good, tuners are fine, bridge is fine.

The pups are HOTT. Way hot. Lots of bite, lots of output. I get the impression they're an unbalanced-coil humbucker a la Fralin's Unbuckers, because they're pretty damned good when tapped, too. Tap the bridge pup, and you've got 90% of the true Tele tone. But un-tap it, and you've got a '59 Les Paul. I'm not too sure I want to re-wire it now.

My ONLY complaint so far is they used an oversized strap button with monster-sized screws, so when I installed a set of Schallers I had to dig around in my collection to find threads that were big enough without the enormous screw head. And I'll invariably have to shim the hole up and re-install.

But doggam... wow...
  • Okay...

Fucking awesome.

Neck is great, not fast, but great for rhythm. The jumbo frets are awesome. Plays pretty well, and remember, this thing is literally right out of the box. Action's good, nut is good, tuners are fine, bridge is fine.

The pups are HOTT. Way hot. Lots of bite, lots of output. I get the impression they're an unbalanced-coil humbucker a la Fralin's Unbuckers, because they're pretty damned good when tapped, too. Tap the bridge pup, and you've got 90% of the true Tele tone. But un-tap it, and you've got a '59 Les Paul. I'm not too sure I want to re-wire it now.

My ONLY complaint so far is they used an oversized strap button with monster-sized screws, so when I installed a set of Schallers I had to dig around in my collection to find threads that were big enough without the enormous screw head. And I'll invariably have to shim the hole up and re-install.

But doggam... wow...

does it sound similar to ed's schecter pt circa the 2000 tour, that big warm clangy sound??
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
    Okay...

Fucking awesome.

But doggam... wow...

thus my puzzled look when you said you were swapping the pups. The ones I heard have sounded pretty damn nice right out of the carton. I think those are pretty cool. Glad you like yours, plus it's a great change from your P-90 tele tapped or untapped. Looks damn cool too.

I mean yeah eventually you may swap it but for now, hell enjoy it for a bit first.

Millhouse, you should be able to get that tone it's a similar set up, it depends on your amp as well though. I'm not exactly sure of the woods on the schecter, I think the Fender is solid mahogany, of the top of my head I'd say it's probably really damn close to the same sound. The schecter probably has a maple top which will make it a tick brighter.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    nice! very curious bout pictures, but it should look pretty f'ing good....

samples? :D
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    thus my puzzled look when you said you were swapping the pups. The ones I heard have sounded pretty damn nice right out of the carton. I think those are pretty cool. Glad you like yours, plus it's a great change from your P-90 tele tapped or untapped. Looks damn cool too.

I mean yeah eventually you may swap it but for now, hell enjoy it for a bit first.

Millhouse, you should be able to get that tone it's a similar set up, it depends on your amp as well though. I'm not exactly sure of the woods on the schecter, I think the Fender is solid mahogany, of the top of my head I'd say it's probably really damn close to the same sound. The schecter probably has a maple top which will make it a tick brighter.

Yes, the Fender is solid mahogany, set mahogany neck. It's pretty big-sounding, similar to Ed's sound (the pickups are different, but the sound is close). I was actually playing Ed parts on it last night, to see if it holds up to that GORGEOUS tone Ed has lately. It does.

I wouldn't swap the pups in it for another couple months (can't quite afford it right now) so I'll be playing it as-is for a while anyways. We'll see... the pickups might just grow on me. The bridge pickup is almost what I want anyways... the neck pup I'm less sure about. And while the coil tap is a neat feature, it's one more thing I don't particularly need, and I'd really rather have independant volume controls for both pickups, so I'll at least turn that tone knob into a volume knob and re-wire it, we'll see if I use a coil-tap.

It really is a great match for the P-90's. Similar output (a tad hotter) but a different tone... not TOO different, but different enough.

Now to start planning my Strat/Tele bastard...

I'll post pics soon. Clips, though, might be harder... I have the stuff to record, but no web site. Anybody want to host a clip for me? Maybe I'll just record a song for GTW.com or something...
  • This looks like it would be a great guitar to compliment my Godin LG with Duncan P90's. The LG has a really dark and hot output.
    www.PintoMusic.com
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    http://www.nashguitars.com/Sale.htm

12 string p-90 jazz bastard.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.nashguitars.com/Sale.htm

12 string p-90 jazz bastard.

Why do I feel the Strat is more what you were looking at?