Acoustic DI's

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all, wondering if anyone has direct experience with any of the following units:

LR Baggs Para Acoustic
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/307160/

Aphex Acoustic Xciter
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/150130/

BBE Acoustimax
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/157031/

I'm beginning my search for the perfect voiced acoustic DI to fit my acoustic/electric, and these three are the forerunners. Any other models you're aware of? I'm looking for a voiced DI, not just a regular impedance converter.

So far the Aphex is the forerunner, just because it can be powered by a pedal power supply (the BBE has a 12-volt psu and the Baggs is either phantom or 9V, no barrel plug). The Baggs is probably the best DI, more natural, but the Aphex probably has a more enhanced sound. Thoughts? Ex, haven't you used a Para DI or an Xciter?
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i had issues with the para DI in that i couldn't get it to jive between my active pickups and the PA. for whatever reason. i think it's meant for passive pickups. at the time i had no clue so take that into account. it worked fine for me at home when recording but hit the shelf when i got the POD 2.0.

i had an acoustic exciter. it was a big step up as far as "life" in the signal. mostly presence. had reliability issues though with the switch. never used it live as i was done performing by then. sounded better than the POD 2.0.

now i just use my POD xt with all the modelling turned off (which you couldn't do with the old PODs). i just use the EQ, comp and reverb in it and it sounds better than either of the other two. also allows me to tailor to my three acoustics.

the acoustimax looks very appealling though.
  • The Para DI has super-high impedance input, which is optomized for a passive piezo, but it should have the gain range to work with active pickups nicely. I think the way they construct their EQ is a tad confusing, but I should be able to work with it.

I've been reading user reviews of the Aphex, and they're all pretty positive. I'm really thinking that's the way to go, especially if I add a decent EQ pedal to the pedal array. Right now, the plan for the pedalboard is:

Ernie Ball Volume Jr -> Boss EQ-20 -> DigiTech DigiVerb -> DI

I'll run some sort of tuner off the VP Jr.'s tuner out, probably a TU-2 so I can power up the rest of the pedals. I may look at a chorus pedal for a 12-string sound or possibly a delay (likely another DD-6).
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i hated the EQ layout on the baggs DI.

having an EQ, especially that EQ-20 in front of the aphex would probably work out quite well. the aphex brings liveliness and presence but it's not all that flexible EQ wise.

delay and reverb will be nice to have. i wouldn't bother with the chorus. as much as i like it in certain contexts on electric, it's awful on acoustic. i'd tend to split to stereo after the aphex with the reverb to obtain more of the fullness chorusing provides.
  • Thanks for the help, Ex. The Acoustimax is too new to have much info out there, but the Aphex sounds better and better, and I think the Baggs is just the wrong flavor for me.

Anyone else had experience with any of these? Or any other models to suggest?