Testing the waters...

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well, it's that time of the year again when I'm staring down the barrel of a couple months without any cash, and bills are coming due... thinking about selling my goldtop Tele. Anyone here looking for a Les Paul in Telecaster clothing?

Specs:
2004 Korean-made Telecaster Custom
Arched mahogany body with set mahogany neck
Rosewood fretboard
Standard hardware (sealed tuners, 6-saddle bridge)
Abilone inlays
Seymour Duncan '59 humbucker in the bridge
Gibson Classic '57 humbucker in the neck
Schaller straplocks

Photos:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/mccreadyisgod/GT1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/mccreadyisgod/GT2.jpg

It plays like a hybrid Tele/Paul... tone is all classic LP. Bridge HB has TONS of bite and grit, great for overdrive, while the neck is phat and warm, very smooth and jazzy. The hot spot, though, is both HB's together... balanced, full, and smooth... good clean or overdriven tone all around. The pickup swap was done professionally by a Fender gold-level tech, an extremely clean job.

This is just a general question... I'd hate to sell it, but if it's gotta go to pay the bills, I want it to go to a good home. Anyone interested?
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    Dude, that's rough when you have to sell the axe. Good luck.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Droooollllll.....

I'd buy if I wasn't in the same boat.

Best of luck!

:)
  • If I lived in the US of A, I'd be all over that...
  • sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    i would be a fucking wreck if i had to sell my bass
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'm absolutely in the market if you
    will trade strait up for an 87 Les Paul Studio (Wine Red Ebony FB, Dots real actual lifetime of relicing and a nice setup and semi recent fret dress) oh and the Nashvegas with the Fralins and HD intrests me greatly.

and this thread should be (drag the waters) :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • eek that blows man, I know how much you love that guitar because of the sound
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • I wouldn't sell it....i think you'll regret it man.

I know what your sayin though about the bills sooo..... I dunno
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I'm absolutely in the market if you
    will trade strait up for an 87 Les Paul Studio (Wine Red Ebony FB, Dots real actual lifetime of relicing and a nice setup and semi recent fret dress) oh and the Nashvegas with the Fralins and HD intrests me greatly.

Nobody's getting anywhere near the Nashvegas. Or the P-90 loaded Deluxe.

It's funny you mention the trade, Paco... the only reason I'm willing to let the GT go is because I want a GT Les Paul. I was thinking I could sell the Tele now and pay the bills, and then this summer when money isn't so tight, I could pick up a newer Tokai for cheap and mod that instead. But I really want a GT... it's a sickness, really...

Thanks everyone for the sympathy, but some guitars come and go... others stay awhile, leaving footprints on your soul (or some crap like that). I have my two other Tele's that will be buried with my cold, dead body. I can let this one go.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    damnit, you force me to change pickups and keep the LP.

now that I'm an apartment dweller, I really need to sell about half of this mess.

I'm going to use the models in the BR532 more often now.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • spankydave ey?

:)
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    dude that LP tele is gorgeous! im almost crying here that someone has to sell something as gorgeous looking as that! if that was mine id sell my soul before parting with something as aesthetically stimulating as that! damn if i lived in the states and had the money id have had it off right now!!
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • kigcat wrote:
    dude that LP tele is gorgeous! im almost crying here that someone has to sell something as gorgeous looking as that! if that was mine id sell my soul before parting with something as aesthetically stimulating as that! damn if i lived in the states and had the money id have had it off right now!!

I'll miss it, sure, but I really want a Les Paul. I'll get a GT Tokai this summer. And FWIW, if you had the money you could bid. I'm willing to make exceptions for PJ fans (especially BBS fans).

And yes, it's "spankydave." My nickname is Spanky, my real name is Dave. Suck it.
  • Last day for the auctions... looks like these are going bargain-basement, folks...
  • Last day for the auctions... looks like these are going bargain-basement, folks...

MIG,
    you are such a bastard.
    and i mean that with the greatest of love and sympathy.

it really sucks you have to sell,
    even though you seem to be taking it quite well.

ON THE OTHER HAND,
    i am aboslutely NOT in the market for a guitar,
    what little money i have (ok i realy don't have ANY money, just PLASTIC)
    i'm trying to allocate towards studio gear

AND YET ...
    that pretty little gold tele is just SCREAMING my name ...

dear god.
    I have a reggae colored original Music Man Sabre that i forsee up on ebay quite soon in order to finance this crap.

You may force me to bid yet ...
    i will reserve judgement until the final hour.

I wish I had never seen this thread.
    (or do I?)

Grrr to you sir.
    GRRR.

EDIT: actualy, when common sense kicks in, my head tells me I really need to buy that little Fox amp from Fab Amps.
    I need a new guitar like a hole in the head, but it sure is tempting. Now a 2 Watt Tube Amp, on the other hand ...
    gimme gimme gimme.
    I bet you get at least $500 for the goldtop, given you have already had 9 bids on it.
    There are so many bid sharks on ebay these days, especially with instruments.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Here's my offer,
    I'll bid on the goldtop, and bump up the price, and if I get it, and you want to buy it back later, or if anyone here wants it, they can get it for whatever I payed for it plus shipping. I won't be home when the bidding's done though.
    If no one wants it, I know the perfect person for that one and it'll go into someone's hands that'll love it.
    OR maybe when I put a bid in it'll trigger other bids and you'll be in the newspaper with that lady that sold the Strat for 76 grand! :D

Good luck man!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I'll bid on the goldtop, and bump up the price, and if I get it, and you want to buy it back later, or if anyone here wants it, they can get it for whatever I payed for it plus shipping. I won't be home when the bidding's done though.
    If no one wants it, I know the perfect person for that one and it'll go into someone's hands that'll love it.
    OR maybe when I put a bid in it'll trigger other bids and you'll be in the newspaper with that lady that sold the Strat for 76 grand! :D

Good luck man!

I just bumped it up from about 250 to 300, but thats a little too rich for my blood right now.
  • moster78 wrote:
    I just bumped it up from about 250 to 300, but thats a little too rich for my blood right now.

Ha ha!! That's what I was going to do! If you're not going any higher, I'll bite.

Ok, I'll take the plunge for MIG.
    You're a good man, MIG!!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Ok, I'll take the plunge for MIG.
    You're a good man, MIG!!

I would've loved to have gotten it at the price I started bidding, but thats just not happening!
  • Bob, you're a true gentleman... it's a nice guitar, for sure, and nobody will be disappointed in having it. I really want a Tokai Love Rock, so when it's gone, it's gone. I've had a lot of interest, and it's finally on the front page, so I hope it starts going up a bit. An interesting side note... an hour ago, someone backed into my car and busted up the grill. It's been a weird day.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Bob's current bid is only $15 more than my max. Damn. =)
  • GT sold, $434. Took a hit there. $650 into it. Hell, the pickups cost over $200 with installation.
  • F I wish I didn't miss that I wanted that guitar sooooo bad. Sorry to see it go man.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • GT sold, $434. Took a hit there. $650 into it. Hell, the pickups cost over $200 with installation.

did you put a reserve on it?
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore

yeah.
    i can't believe, someone got a steal.

it's ashame how much you can put in to an axe sometimes, and people just don't see (or just don't want to PAY for) the value.

:(

At least you have more space in your house?

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • I was gonna bid, but I am about to sink 1000$ into a martin acoustic I think.

It ended up going for a decent amount, you didn't lose very much on the guitar which is cool.

Question... could you have sold the pickups separately?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Question... could you have sold the pickups separately?

No, then I would've been selling a guitar with no pickups. It's okay, it's just a bad time of year to be selling.