SNL Gear

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Stone with a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and an 18-watt Marshall (or clone), and Mike with a double-cut Les Paul Jr., or so it looked to me.

Any other guesses, or items you noticed?
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FUCK i had that exact Les Paul JR that mike had. I sold it last year, what a fool I was, I was shocked seeing Mike play one tonight.
    "Keep on Rockin In the Free World"

"Gimli,MB 08-14-93"
    "Fargo,ND 06-15-03"
    "Winnipeg,MB 09-08-05"
    "Thunder Bay,ON 09-09-05"
  • looked as if mike was playing a trentino (sp??) head. i though it was odd because stone usually plays that type of head.

was that an ebow ed was using on wws?? it didn't look like one to me. i've never seen a green one.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    looked as if mike was playing a trentino (sp??) head. i though it was odd because stone usually plays that type of head.

was that an ebow ed was using on wws?? it didn't look like one to me. i've never seen a green one.

Mike and Stone both have Trentino amps, virtually identical except Stone has a head and Mike has a combo. Mike was playing his Trentino combo on SNL (it kinda looks like a head and cabinet, but that's just the way it's designed). Stone used his Trentino on the road in '03, but not in '05 (and I'm unsure on the VFC tour). Mike has used his on the road since '03, but it's almost always out of sight, usually where his guitar tech is.

Not sure what Ed was using... a friend of mine gets kinda similar sounds with his eBow, but I can't guarantee that was it. In my buddy's case, he kind of scrapes, taps, and drags the eBow over the strings to get some really interesting effects. Perhaps if someone captured the video, we'll be able to take a closer look...

I liked Mike's LP Jr... :) TV Yellow is yummy!

EDIT:

Upon re-viewing, I'm certain it's an eBow with some sorta green cloth wrapped around it, like an armband or something, and he's just dragging it up and down on the strings like he's "picking" the guitar with the eBow.
  • Stone with a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and an 18-watt Marshall (or clone), and Mike with a double-cut Les Paul Jr., or so it looked to me.

Any other guesses, or items you noticed?

What was on the ground slanted, right in the centre of the stage...cause those looked like Hot Rod Deluxes to me??? But it was hard to tell.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • I'm no gear expert but that didn't look like an eBow.

On the other hand I do have the show recorded, but it's only on VHS :S
    "It comes in a 8-pack where's the other 7. We've got band member up here they're dry ... We'd like some more beer, beer for the band and all our friends. Let's go." - Vedder (2005.09.22 Halifax)

2003.06.29 ~ Montreal
    2005.09.22 ~ Halifax
  • What was on the ground slanted, right in the centre of the stage...cause those looked like Hot Rod Deluxes to me??? But it was hard to tell.

i think its a vintage bassman...he has the same set up as from the 2005 SA tour

i got really pissed mike was too low
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • 57Goldtop57Goldtop Posts: 218
    was that an 18 watt Marshall or a JTM45 combo reissue?
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    All I know is that there was a lot more gain than previous years. Sounded good.

I think Stone's combo was an 1974x, but it might have been a JTM45.
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    I'm no gear expert but that didn't look like an eBow.

On the other hand I do have the show recorded, but it's only on VHS :S

it looked like the little 3 prong pizza holder they put in the center when you order a pizza to hold it still :)
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Severed hand they both used LPs. I loved Jeff's green jazz. What was Ed's tele?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    yeah it was an ebow. I use one and thats the sound you get by running it over the strings. I think eds one was covered in something to protect as they do seem rather fragile.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    There's something about Mike's Les Paul tone that really excites me. His Severed Hand solo sounded huge.

I'm also thinking back to the MSG DVD in Crown of Thorns.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    All I know is that there was a lot more gain than previous years. Sounded good.

Isn't Stone the one who used to use a Savage? I had a Blitz 50 set up like a JTM-45. If I had to guess, I'd say it was an 18-watter, because the PTP JTm-45's that came out a few years ago were offset style in head/cab config, and I don't see Stone using the JTM-45 combo that Marshall reissued without some component changes and different trannies.

The PTP 18 watters are dope, but the non-PTP JTM 45's are not accurate, and sound pretty un JTM-45 like without the proper component values/trannies.
  • 18 watter is just awsome. I'd like to see Stone this tour with two of those on stage. Actually he should go the ceritone route. Those Marshal. 18 watters have big transformer problems, and to me the ceritone actually sounds better. that amp is the greatest amp Marshall amp ever.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • All I know is that there was a lot more gain than previous years. Sounded good.

Definately the 1974x
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    At first I thought Stone was using a Hot Rod DeVille 212 with a Marshall Bluesbreaker, but they're not wide enough. Definitely 1x12 combos. I like the arrangement he's got... should provide a lot of great tonal options.

The slanted amps directly behind Ed, stacked against the drum riser, were two vintage Fender Deluxe amps on the outside of some larger combo... perhaps a tweed Twin? That would be my guess.

I'd bet money that the thingy Ed was using was an eBow.

Ed's Tele is a regular Tele with a P-90 swapped into the neck. I believe he has two or three of them, was using them on the '05 tour.

And Stone did play the Savage Blitz amps back in '98.
    And I realize I'm a super-mega gear geek, but did anyone notice the modified Audix OM-7 that Matt was singing through? It looked like they'd sawed off the back 3" of the mic and reconfigured the wiring output to mount it on the stand. Probably for stability or to make it a lower-profile.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    At first I thought Stone was using a Hot Rod DeVille 212 with a Marshall Bluesbreaker, but they're not wide enough. Definitely 1x12 combos. I like the arrangement he's got... should provide a lot of great tonal options.

The slanted amps directly behind Ed, stacked against the drum riser, were two vintage Fender Deluxe amps on the outside of some larger combo... perhaps a tweed Twin? That would be my guess.

I'd bet money that the thingy Ed was using was an eBow.

Ed's Tele is a regular Tele with a P-90 swapped into the neck. I believe he has two or three of them, was using them on the '05 tour.

And Stone did play the Savage Blitz amps back in '98.

Yep, Ebow with a sticker or something over it, but that is the tone you get from dragging it.
    The double cut TV yellow jr is as real as it gets. As usual Mike has great taste. I think Stone's was a R8 RI, at least that is my guess. They are really sounding good!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Thsi is my take on ed's setup:

Obviously 3 fender amps, two of the same on the outside, and a bigger one in the middle. I'm geussing Fender Hot Rod Deluxes (re-issue's or originals are the only ones with tweed, my geuss is re-issue) and then the middle im geussing is a 57-twin re-issue. its has teh slightly larger dimensions due to the additional speaker, and is aproxx. scaled liek that beside a deluxe. it is 100% an ebow, and his "telecaster" i bet is schecter....just a geuss though...Hey- this set up sounds alot like pete townshend? go figure....

HM

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The SNL songs made me pick up my guitar for the 1st time in over a year. I had been playing for about 5 years, and then I just hit a musical plateau. My biggest problem was not having any peers to play with and challenge me. But I’ve re-kindled a lost love thanks to PJ.

I got a 2004 Heritage Les Paul, a rosewood acoustic Larrivee, and a Ibanez JS-1000 (which I never play because of the Floyd Rose Floating Bridge . . . 1st time buying mistake). Watching WWS has given me the urge to buy a Tele, but I figure I will practice for about 6 months before dropping some cash.

It feels good to belt out some chords again.
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    you have a heritage les paul and you're not playing it?

sell it to me.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
    Obviously 3 fender amps, two of the same on the outside, and a bigger one in the middle. I'm geussing Fender Hot Rod Deluxes (re-issue's or originals are the only ones with tweed, my geuss is re-issue) and then the middle im geussing is a 57-twin re-issue. its has teh slightly larger dimensions due to the additional speaker, and is aproxx. scaled liek that beside a deluxe. it is 100% an ebow, and his "telecaster" i bet is schecter....just a geuss though...Hey- this set up sounds alot like pete townshend? go figure....

I'm certain those weren't Hot Rod Deluxes. The two on the outside were probably vintage Fender Deluxes (distinct from the Hot Rod Deluxe), which from 1955-1960 had the narrow-panel front and were tweed-covered. The center amp looks to me like a 2x12 combo, which indicates a tweed Twin, either an original 55-60 or a recent reissue. It is also possible that the amps were newer clones and not vintage models, like Clark or Victoria. But on the '05 tour, Ed was using a pair of vintage Fender Deluxes, so I imagine those two amps are the same.

Additionally, the Hot Rod series has been available in black tolex, and in limited runs of laquered wood and sunburst wood, but not in tweed. The Blues-series amps were offered in tweed, and are similar but not identical amps to the Hot Rod series. The Blues amps were modeled after the look of the narrow-panel tweed amps of the late 50's, so it's not a bad guess.

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/deluxe_narrow.html
    http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/twin_narrow.html

I also got a look at the Teles with P-90's in the neck position last year, and they are Fender-made with an aftermarket pickup swap.