Tube Amps

igotshitigotshit Posts: 23
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anybody know good ones for under a 1000, just bought a new gibson sg need something good to go with it
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• What sort of sound are you looking for? There are quite a few options...

Looking for something small, medium, or large? Combo, or head and cabinet? Fender, Marshall, Mesa, or other? Are you trying to copy Ed, Mike, or Stone's sounds?

This is a pretty open-ended question.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    go to the Orange Amps website. See the wallpaper. Buy an AD-15 the amp in the ad. I own it it's brilliant. $900 out the door.

Or. If you want more versitility. THD Univalve, Used can be had with tons of tubes for around $800 Comes complete with a hot plate installed so you don't scare the neighbors. See Ebay.,
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I would buy this if I hadn't just spent $225 on new speakers two days ago. I am pissed that I can't get it...

Anyways, here's the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2574265019&category=10171&rd=1

It's a great old Russian copy of a JTM45 Marshall, which was a British copy of the blonde Fender Bassman. All tube, 60 watts, multiple impedance. Get the right distortion pedal in front (it's pretty versatile) and it'll sing.
    badass amp for cheap.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I almost cried... I want that amp so bad.

I'll pick one up after Christmas, I decided.
  • goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    I'll sell you an early 90's Twin. It's awesome & perfect condition.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• The Twin, Evil Twin, or Twin Reverb?
  • goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    The Twin, Evil Twin, or Twin Reverb?

The Twin
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• That's good. Those old red-knob Evil Twins were steaming piles of horse shit.
  • mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
    last year i sold my MUSIC MAN 115W 4X10'' 25 years old the one that eric clapton used(there's one behind eddie in msg2 in dead man)...the reason is that i couldn't play it home...now i ordered a pro junior for 350 euros
    "You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
  • That's too bad... those were great little amps. Sort of a revisited design of a Fender Super.

Oh well, it's better to have a good amp that you can play, than a great amp you can't play. You'll be pleased...

Until you're a rockstar and you need a great stage amp...

Although Ani DiFranco uses a Pro Junior for her amp on stage, and she plays arenas.
  • Hey there, first post here :o)

I would recommend an old Fender Tube amp if you already use your fave stompbox OD/Distortion/Fuzz.

I bought mine pretty cheap (shipping and customs were more expensive than the amp itself). One quick visit to my trusted valve amp luthier and it was ready to rock. Not that it wasnt before me sending it there... this almost 40 years battletank survived a trip from Houston to Argentina. Just plugged it and voila... sweet old Fender Tube sound everywhere.

Very responsive to any pedal you throw on its front.

Downsides: You gotta get reverb somehow (pedalboard / pedal / reverb box) and you will also need some OD/Dist/Fuzz box or pedalboard.

After buying 3 different distortions (Boss SD / Ibanez TubeKing / TS9) and not being 100% happy with any of em, I decided to go for a flexible pedalboard, Korg's AX1500G. I know, its not top notch, but it really has a wide array of suitable distorted sounds, from mellow to completely insane.

So insane that I happen to broke a capacitor's leg with all the vibrations I was putting out. Heh, the heaviest band around when this amp was designed and made were The Beatles :o)
    Originally posted by Crimsong
    Hey there, first post here :o)

I would recommend an old Fender Tube amp if you already use your fave stompbox OD/Distortion/Fuzz.

I bought mine pretty cheap (shipping and customs were more expensive than the amp itself). One quick visit to my trusted valve amp luthier and it was ready to rock. Not that it wasnt before me sending it there... this almost 40 years battletank survived a trip from Houston to Argentina. Just plugged it and voila... sweet old Fender Tube sound everywhere.

Very responsive to any pedal you throw on its front.

Downsides: You gotta get reverb somehow (pedalboard / pedal / reverb box) and you will also need some OD/Dist/Fuzz box or pedalboard.

After buying 3 different distortions (Boss SD / Ibanez TubeKing / TS9) and not being 100% happy with any of em, I decided to go for a flexible pedalboard, Korg's AX1500G. I know, its not top notch, but it really has a wide array of suitable distorted sounds, from mellow to completely insane.

So insane that I happen to broke a capacitor's leg with all the vibrations I was putting out. Heh, the heaviest band around when this amp was designed and made were The Beatles :o)

Nice to meet you. You'll fit right in here, Many of us are obsessed with 40 year old fender tube amps.
  • King Arthur searched high and low for the Holy Grail. I have searched high and low for a '65 Fender Deluxe at a decent price. We've had about the same luck...
    sir Galahad has concluded that indeed "nothing beats a vibro champ." :)
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    go to the Orange Amps website. See the wallpaper. Buy an AD-15 the amp in the ad. I own it it's brilliant. $900 out the door.

Or. If you want more versitility. THD Univalve, Used can be had with tons of tubes for around $800 Comes complete with a hot plate installed so you don't scare the neighbors. See Ebay.,

That Univalve is a nice amp. I don't have one, but I played around with someone's, and it is very cool. You can change the tubes without fiddling with the bias. Simple to play.
    It's worth checking out.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I thought it was 'Yngwie'....

But you bet your pale white ass, brother...