Whats the Key to getting cool feedback

igotshitigotshit Posts: 23
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I sometimes get it cool but can't figure out who i do it, do u cover the high strings and let the bass strings ring, whats the key
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    good harmonic feedback?

just turn it up and let a chord ring. don't mute anything (except for strings not in the chord or course).
  • dude, that's easy. if you're cool ,and say cool stuff, people will give you cool feedback......duh.

The chinaman is not the issue here dude.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I don't think thats the kind of cool feedback he's referring to bro..
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • turn up loud and face the amp....
  • Bart138Bart138 Posts: 37
    dude, that's easy. if you're cool ,and say cool stuff, people will give you cool feedback......duh.

The chinaman is not the issue here dude.
    They PEED on your fucking rug, dude.
  • Volume!!
    Every guitar has certain frequencies it'll feedback at, too. Crank the amp up and face the amp and try different single notes,,, then when you find the "sweet spots" , the right notes that feed back, you can play with them at lower volumes. Midrange notes feed back the best, and you can play octaves to get more power. Then play around with different combinations of notes and overdrive and distortion.
    If you have a wah wah, you can find play the tone on it until you find the right position that'll feed back, like Frank Zappa used a lot.

If you crank it loud enough and face the amp, you can make anything feed back, but all the dogs'll be howling in the neighborhood and the cops will eventually come! The art is to find what sounds good and how to control it musically.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Or a super cheap guitar, with bad shielding. Any of you remember the feedback guitar in the Smashing Pumpkins song "Mayonaise", if I remember that was some cheap pawn shop guitar that would instantly feed back as soon as you stopped playing it.

What a cool way to involve feedback in a song
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    well if you want to cheat you can always get a fernandes sustainer... speaking of that.. are they worth the money? or is an ebow a better route for that type of thing?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Compression is the key to cool, controlled feedback. I've used a compressor, and have told other folks to use a compressor, and it works great. However, it's not the only way... most good overdrive/distortion pedals have a good compression value. Also, pushing a tube amp into drive will make the power amp and rectifier compress the signal just a bit.

I assume you have gotten feedback, but it ends up being a high-pitched squeal rather than a cool low-growl sound. And if that's the case, you need to compress the signal somewhere. If you can't get feedback at all, you need more gain.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • turn up loud and face the amp....

Doesn't facing the amp, or rather holding the guitar up against the amp only work with single-coils? Don't think you can do it with humbuckers.
    Heheh, watching some of the live nirvana stuff is an interesting example. Tho i guess it's not worth actually destroying both guitar and amp just to get a cool sound.
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (
  • nailz100 wrote:
    I don't think thats the kind of cool feedback he's referring to bro..
    ah gee, thanks a bunch for clearin' that up for me. i don't know what i was thinking.

OVER THE LINE!!!!!!!!!
  • Bart138Bart138 Posts: 37
    Shut the fuck up, Donny!!
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Doesn't facing the amp, or rather holding the guitar up against the amp only work with single-coils? Don't think you can do it with humbuckers.
    Heheh, watching some of the live nirvana stuff is an interesting example. Tho i guess it's not worth actually destroying both guitar and amp just to get a cool sound.

it's actaully better with humbuckers because they're higher output without the annoying high frequencies.
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    yes, the feedback in mayonaise was made by a really cheap guitar. the best feedback ive ever heard was made by that fernandez decade V-1, on "behold the nightmare." sounds so cool. bless you corgan for giving us great feedback
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    try sticking an EQ pedal in your chain or an Overdrive pedal that'll definitely help you get more feedback
    Cornell pwns u
  • Doesn't facing the amp, or rather holding the guitar up against the amp only work with single-coils? Don't think you can do it with humbuckers.

uhh i can do it with my les paul man. its alot easier for me to control the feedback with that instead of a strat because its alot easier to control because the bodys so heavy.