Options

Question about Ed's Blue SG

Mike's CousinMike's Cousin Posts: 21
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I know that the rumor pit said that all of his new SG's are fitted with Fralin P90's, but the Blue SG is a special and it is routed for humbuckers and it would be hard to fit P90's in it. Do you think that those are Gibson P94 pickups in there? Just curious.l

http://www.gibsonstrings.com/pickups/minihumbuckers.shtml
Makes much more sense
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    everything I've seen has been fralin equipped P-90's

I think you're talking about the flip flop teal SG classic.

No P94's

You'd know because they are rimmed in chrome or gold

I was thinking that SG Junior sounded exceptionally good and his other SG's sounded amazing too. No wonder.

I had no Idea they were equipped with fralins. Those are some of the best pickups I've ever heard.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Pictures here:

http://www.giventowail.com/107/gear/2003/info_guitars.html

I believe that all of Ed's P-90 equipped guitars left the factory with P-90 routing. While some SG Special models are in fact humbucker-equipped, some are made for P-90's too, just depends on the specific model.

As you can see in the pictures, the pickups are in fact black-soapbar P-90's, not a chrome-covered P-94. I don't believe Ed has ever used those pickups, at least not that I've seen.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    The flip flop teal SG is an SG special. I know by a few things: the color, the sg on the truss rod cover, no binding on the fretboard, and the abr stop tail piece. These are made with humbuckers. The only SG's that gibson makes anymore is the Pete Townshend SG (discontinued), sg classic (discontinued) which has binding and doesn't come in that color, and the SG JR (one pickup). I'm just trying to find out how you can fit P90's in the cavity that a humbucker was in?
    Makes much more sense
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Well, since P-90s are smaller than a humbucker, maybe he got a custom pickguard with P-90 routing and did it that way.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    I think they have them labeled incorrectly. I believe they are SG Classics, already equipped with the P-90 route.

P-94's are humbucker sized its a completely different look.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Or, Mr. Vedder could have them routed to fit P-90s... that is also an option... the wood isn't set for life how it comes out of the factory.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    Originally posted by House53
    Or, Mr. Vedder could have them routed to fit P-90s... that is also an option... the wood isn't set for life how it comes out of the factory.

he certainly has plenty of money. Mike Lull could do it no problem

P-94's are the poor or unhandy man's solution.