how did Stone get his strat to sound so fat the last tour

Mike's CousinMike's Cousin Posts: 21
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I can't believe he played that strat for songs like DTE, Once, and STBC. I'm thinking he played with the bridge pickup with the tone rolled off at least half way.
Makes much more sense
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Yeah, I was asking myself the same question.
  • its all in the fingers man, I know some people who can play a strat through a little 15 watt practice amp and it'll come out fat as hell. for me they just always seem a little too thin but I have a buddy who can play through my amp, same pedals, guitar, settings and all and it sounds completely different than when I play it...it's all in the fingers
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Stone didn't use any overdrive or distortion effect pedals this last tour.

But damn yes, he does have awesome gear...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    so then he just used the amp's distortion on the last tour mig?
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
    excuse me, TAFKAMIG ;)
    Originally posted by djyman15
    so then he just used the amp's distortion on the last tour mig?

Stone used natural overdrive from the amp (especially on the Trentino, which has two independant amplifiers in one box) as well as compression and booster pedals to push the preamp.

You can view Stone's pedalboard on http://www.giventowail.com
    Just go to the Gear & Tech Info page, then click to Pedals/Effects, and choose Stone's gear.
  • which is the boost pedal? what does a compressor and boost do to the pre amp section? why do they only affect the pre amp section?
    Makes much more sense
    Well, now...

The boost on Stone's board is a Morgan Miller DT-1 Boost. In the photo on GTW, it's in the upper-right corner, labeled #6. I'm not familiar with the name, I'd guess it's built by a small boutique builder.

A compressor will squash the peaks in an audio signal and then bring up the overall level, making volume changes less dramatic.

Both compressors and boost pedals can be used for clean (read: unaltered, undistorted) volume increase. This is known as "boost" or clean gain. In fact, this is the express purpose of a boost pedal: to make the signal louder and fuller.

This sort of effect will affect both the preamp section and the power amp section, but since the signal goes through the preamp first, the boost will drive the preamp first. In most cases, the preamp will distort the signal before the power amp will. However, driving the power section into overdrive WILL cause power tubes to distort as well as compress signals. This is commonly refered to as "saturation," a desirable effect from pushing the power section.

Anyone care to disagree or clarify?
  • what does stbc stand for?
  • Originally posted by nazcanlines
    what does stbc stand for?

Spin The Black Circle
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • When recording I typically like to use my Danelectro double cut-away (lip stick pick-ups, which are a thinner pick-up than fenders single coil) and play that thru a tube screamer thats in front of a 15 wall Gibson Minuteman amp. And that tone is just incredible thick. In case you don't know a Minuteman is a single channel tube amp, we just crank them up! The way it should be
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    that Dano sounds really cool ATY. Id just like add that on the guitar i built, two of the pickups (the config is HSS {the last S is actually a double bladed humbucker}) the H and the S are out of phase with each other. So when I switch to bridge middle, the sound is weaker, and when I switch out, it actually has a boost effect. Granted this was done completely unintentionally haha, but its a nice gimmick
  • what does that MXR micro amp do?
    Makes much more sense
  • 2italy2italy Posts: 39
    maybe an overdrive pedal...as a preamp or before the amp input...
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Originally posted by Mike's Cousin
    what does that MXR micro amp do?
    It's a clean boost, as described above. Adds volume and some presence and body to your sound.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
    I once saw a drummer use a Micro Amp as an amp for in-ear monitors... they had bass tracks recorded onto an iPod with a click track... it was pretty interesting.