Replacement tuners for a Les Paul

clarkkentclarkkent Posts: 51
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a generic Les Paul and I'm looking to buy replacement tuners. I've been looking at some Grover 18:1 locking tuners on the e-bay, but I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions on brands and price-ranges, it would be most appreciated.

Muchas Gracias.
tank you veddy much
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Those are nice tuners. Make sure that the holes are compatible with the present ones on the headstock, although if you're handy, you can fill or redrill the holes. That price is pretty decent, too.

Any decent tuner seems to be better than the stock gibson ones.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    lockings are a great thing. and you can't go wrong with grovers i think. i have grovers or schallers on pretty much everything (stock). the guitar i assembled i used schaller m6 lockers.

Thanks for the advice. Would you recommend either grovers or schallers over each other, or are they pretty comparable?
    tank you veddy much
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i would say that they're comparable. i would get whatever ones fit the stock holes as best as possible.
  • I looked at the ones on ebay. They're good. I have them on a couple of les pauls and an sg.
    Be kind, man

How much should I be willing to pay for them?
    tank you veddy much
  • Actually look on Stewmac.com for Grovers. The price is better there. They have everything that you can find for a guitar.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead/Grover_Tuners.ssc

Good luck
    Be kind, man
    Grovers and Schallers/ Sperzels. Apples and Oranges. THe Grovers will look more stock on a LP though because They are used on LP Customs. Lockers are awesome. String it through lock it, tune it up cut, never lose tuning.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Tulip tuners are crap!

Yeah, get the best fit... might as well spring for lockers while you're at it. Any aftermarket tuner will be better than those lousy tulip pieces of shit.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • hey im an amatuer, and wouldn't mind some simple explanation.

I just string my guitar up with my hand, and then tune it by hand also, so how do these things you guys are talkin about work?
    i wish i was a messenger and all the news was good (the guitar riff in the background)
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by bandagedhand
    hey im an amatuer, and wouldn't mind some simple explanation.

I just string my guitar up with my hand, and then tune it by hand also, so how do these things you guys are talkin about work?

we're just talking about the machines on the headstock that hold the string.
  • Originally posted by exhausted
    we're just talking about the machines on the headstock that hold the string.

Yeah... you know, the whatzits that you turn to tune the guitar at the top of the neck, those metal mechanical pieces are called "tuners" (since they are used to tune the guitar). Cheap tuners can give you a world of problems, so we're just talking about replacing the stock cheapie tuners with better aftermarket tuners.

Man, aren't newbies cute?
  • hey mccready is God, i am not a newbie, in either my guitar playing or my membership to the boards.

Ive been on these things for 3 years, alright! So cut me some slack ey?
    i wish i was a messenger and all the news was good (the guitar riff in the background)
  • and another thing, im pretty sure that these things you incorrectly call "tuners" are actually known as "machine heads".
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    How I love that laidback atmosphere on the M&G forums...
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Originally posted by bandagedhand
    hey mccready is God, i am not a newbie, in either my guitar playing or my membership to the boards.

Ive been on these things for 3 years, alright! So cut me some slack ey?

Well, you did refer to yourself as an amateur... I guess I took that the wrong way.

Originally posted by bandagedhand
    and another thing, im pretty sure that these things you incorrectly call "tuners" are actually known as "machine heads".

Six of one, half-dozen of the other. Same thing. Sue me.

Originally posted by pariah
    How I love that laidback atmosphere on the M&G forums...

Okay, mai tais for everyone... temperatures have been flaring a bit, let's cool down here... who wants lime daquiris? Strawberry? You're right, pariah, we ARE better than this, here.
  • Man,,,
    I leave the beach for a week, and the bar fights start!
    : (

In guitar terms, you can call them tuning keys, or tuning machines. They just ended up getting called tuners by lazy lead guitarists like me.
    A tuner would have been the person turning the key, or an electronic tuner that you use to bring the string to pitch,
    that tells you how out of tune that last lead was!

Gets beach chair out, lays out with Pina Colada.

Whatever happened to the beach thread anyway?
    Be kind, man