Picking the RIGHT guitar strings

gotz idgotz id Posts: 125
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a questoin and a problem here... i'll start out by telling my situation:

Most of the time I play on a steel string acoustic and I have gotten used to the strong steel strings, callus are in full force. Anyway, then there is my electric guitar, a Schecter Telecaster.

I've been playing on slinky strings because I've been told they're the only way to go... but gosh, i really hate them. They're TOO soft, especially since i'm used to steel string acoustic... I can't seem to keep them in tune because they're so slinky... and man, I find my self bending notes and chords because the strings are too soft to the touch!

Anyway, can any of you more experienced folks recomend a set of strings? I'd rather not burn cash on *experimenting*.

Basically I'm looking for something stronger than slinky strings along with a better sound.
I wish I was the 10Club holiday single, the one that never showed up...

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    slinkys suck, that's why.

try some nice, heavy gauge, GHS boomers. 11s or maybe even 12s.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Slinky's are shit. I hate them.

My preference is DR. Hi Beams or Pure Blues. If you're used to the heavier acoustic strings get the thing set up for 11's. They won't disapoint. Dean Markley Blue Steels are ok too but the DR's are the best in my opinion.

GHS Boomers are a good standard as well.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    oh, and prepare to do a setup on the guitar once the new strings are in place.
  • GouletGoulet Posts: 918
    if i knew anything about guitar technical things i would say something important here like get some thick strings and set-up your guitar but i just put on strings and sling my guitar on my back and go tramping over a mountain to find a bar or stage to play on
  • gotz idgotz id Posts: 125
    Thanks for the help dudes, I'm about to head off to the local music shop in a few minutes.

eerrm... set up? do you mean just installing the strings or something more uhh, involved than that.?

Originally posted by gotz id
    Thanks for the help dudes, I'm about to head off to the local music shop in a few minutes.

eerrm... set up? do you mean just installing the strings or something more uhh, involved than that.?

You have to turn the truss rod back a few turns to accomidate the heavier guage and set up the intonation on the bridge.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    You have to turn the truss rod back a few turns to accomidate the heavier guage and set up the intonation on the bridge.

and what happens if you don't do this
    does your guitar explode or become sad?
    Originally posted by Goulet
    and what happens if you don't do this
    does your guitar explode or become sad?

no, the action goes way higher and it's harder to play. plus, you'll be out of tune.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    no, the action goes way higher and it's harder to play. plus, you'll be out of tune.

i like high action
    and i play my songs in what i call "John Wayne" tuning
    because its just a little bit sharp
  • gotz idgotz id Posts: 125

Man, that sounds like german to me.... They didn't have 11 gauge so i got some 10 gauge... i hope i didn't f*** up

Just installed the DR Pure Blues 10 Gauge.. MY OH MY, it sounds 110% better

• If you want TOUGH, MEATY strings... GHS Boomer 11's. Hard to find locally, but you can get them on Musician's Friend. Ernie Ball Slinkys are great strings for what they do, which is funk. If you want something with some BALLS, though... stay away from the Slinkys. Took me two years to figure that out. Now that I've gone to GHS, I will never play another string on my electrics ever again.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    I have a questoin and a problem here... i'll start out by telling my situation:

Most of the time I play on a steel string acoustic and I have gotten used to the strong steel strings, callus are in full force. Anyway, then there is my electric guitar, a Schecter Telecaster.

I've been playing on slinky strings because I've been told they're the only way to go... but gosh, i really hate them. They're TOO soft, especially since i'm used to steel string acoustic... I can't seem to keep them in tune because they're so slinky... and man, I find my self bending notes and chords because the strings are too soft to the touch!

Anyway, can any of you more experienced folks recomend a set of strings? I'd rather not burn cash on *experimenting*.

Basically I'm looking for something stronger than slinky strings along with a better sound.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031230162912024071214131532125/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/100192/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031230162912024071214131532125/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/101248/

I've been very happy with both those brands, and gauges, of strings. I went with the d'addario's because I needed to play faster and the fender 12's were slowing me down. If I had kept the 12's, I would have gotten faster once my fingers got stronger but the quick fix was to move to slightly smaller strings. Anyways, go with either of those.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
    Man, that sounds like german to me.... They didn't have 11 gauge so i got some 10 gauge... i hope i didn't f*** up

Just installed the DR Pure Blues 10 Gauge.. MY OH MY, it sounds 110% better

your guitar is probably set up for 10's as it is you didn't fuck up you did just right. Those strings are nice Eh? I love them.

They have a hexagonal core they cut less and are stronger consequently they last longer. That's why I like them. Not quite as boomy as GHS Boomers so you can still play hard without to much interaction between strings
  • You have to turn the truss rod back a few turns to accomidate the heavier guage and set up the intonation on the bridge.

woT is that AND HOW DO U do iT???

ALSO wot r sliNkY STRINgs???
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    I have Ernie Ball Slinky's on my bass and they're amazing... but of course bass is different from y'all, but you know...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
    your guitar is probably set up for 10's as it is you didn't fuck up you did just right. Those strings are nice Eh? I love them.

They have a hexagonal core they cut less and are stronger consequently they last longer. That's why I like them. Not quite as boomy as GHS Boomers so you can still play hard without to much interaction between strings

I checked those out at musiciansfriend.com, I should try a set.
    8-8-09 Calgary
    My URL

• Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Not quite as boomy as GHS Boomers so you can still play hard without to much interaction between strings

I sense a hidden agenda against Boomers, paco...

You trying to say something?

The DR-GHS warfare on this board is reaching mammoth proportions...
  • I use 10 1/2 boomers on my electrics. I'm like goldylocks, 10's are too hot, 11's are too cold, and 10 1/2's are just right.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031230085015209195146232287028/g=guitar/s=accessories/search/detail/base_pid/100515/
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I sense a hidden agenda against Boomers, paco...

You trying to say something?

The DR-GHS warfare on this board is reaching mammoth proportions...

no hidden agenda. This is a designated no spin zone. I like boomers fine but I like DR's better.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Asked .10 Boomers for Sinterklaas last time, because I got tired of shitty Fender strings.... turned out they were TNT (thin high E to thick low E), so .10-.52 instead of .10-.46. They're AMAZING. Full, round tone AND no bending problems on high strings. Ahh... perfection. :p
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Originally posted by pariah
    Asked .10 Boomers for Sinterklaas last time, because I got tired of shitty Fender strings.... turned out they were TNT (thin high E to thick low E), so .10-.52 instead of .10-.46. They're AMAZING. Full, round tone AND no bending problems on high strings. Ahh... perfection. :p

Zakk Wilde's signature strings (like he doesn't already have enough signature equipment) are 10-60. Talk about nuts...

Great for that big-bottom, though.
    I imagine the .60 would be nice for drop D stuff.

I have my kramer set up 2 and a half steps down with I think a .62 or .60 for the low E...err..C#. I just used the d'addario 11's for the rest of the strings, so what would normally be the E string is now my A string and so on. Sounds cool.
    8-8-09 Calgary
    My URL