Trading in an Acoustic.... Again

gotz idgotz id Posts: 125
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
My first acoustic was one of those Ovation celebrities. I got it because at that age I thought that plastic belly looked cool.

Years passed and I realized that I hated the thing. So I traded it in and got a Fender DG-11E. Its a black acoustic/electric with cheapo volume and tone switch (even cheaper than the Ovation), and its kinda massive. It looked better and sounded better than the Ovation.

Now I'm starting to feel that the fender doses not fit me very well. I went to a guitar center and to Ben Harper's shop to try out some new guitars. I played this one guitar, but it cost about a grand! It was shallower and had a smaller body than my Fender but oh man, did it resonate sooo much better!

So now the question is that if any of you folks may know what kind/style of guitar that is or if anyone could recomend something along the lines of that smaller guitar I played at a more afordable price range?

thanks again!
I wish I was the 10Club holiday single, the one that never showed up...

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I assume you want something electric?

The newer Fender acoustics have a decent reputation... I remember a day when Fender acoustics were crap, and that wasn't but five years ago.

I dunno... I've got a crappy Yamaha that's been with me for 11 years, and I'm holding out for a Martin 000-14 next.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
    There are two distinct acoustic guitar shapes. One is a grand auditorium and the other is a dreadnought. The GA's are thinner and they may "feel" smaller but in actuality they are as big, if not bigger, than the dreadnoughts in terms of cubic inches or centimeters. Dreadnoughts are familiar with the folkier music and the GA's are the choice for most rock guitarists. If you got your heart set on an acoustic, try a Yamaha. Great quality at an affordable price. Check this one out:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040609185541151197065118166028/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/511067/

Solid spruce top
    Rosewood fingerboard
    Great electronics
  • gotz idgotz id Posts: 125
    Nice nice!

I've decided that I dont want an acoustic/electric though, I already have a telecaster. I'd rather have my acoustic be 100% ;)

thanks for the link by the way!
    I wish I was the 10Club holiday single, the one that never showed up...

• solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
    Originally posted by gotz id
    Nice nice!

I've decided that I dont want an acoustic/electric though, I already have a telecaster. I'd rather have my acoustic be 100% ;)

thanks for the link by the way!

It can have electronics and still be 100% acoustic. You never know when you'll need to plug in. I had a killer Yamaha years ago but it didn't have any electronics and I always regretted it. Now I own a Taylor 814CE with a Fishman pickup. Probably one the industry standards when it comes to acoustic guitars. If you want a quality acoustic make sure you get a solid spruce top and a rosewood or ebony fingerboard. Bindings are always a nice touch as well. As for sound the dreadnought's are more bassy in tone and the GA's are midrange and bright. Both are fine shapes. It just depends on your style and taste.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by DissidentBand
    It can have electronics and still be 100% acoustic. You never know when you'll need to plug in. I had a killer Yamaha years ago but it didn't have any electronics and I always regretted it. Now I own a Taylor 814CE with a Fishman pickup. Probably one the industry standards when it comes to acoustic guitars. If you want a quality acoustic make sure you get a solid spruce top and a rosewood or ebony fingerboard. Bindings are always a nice touch as well. As for sound the dreadnought's are more bassy in tone and the GA's are midrange and bright. Both are fine shapes. It just depends on your style and taste.

you have good taste my friend, very good taste.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.