Grover tuners or PRS locking tuners?

DirtLikeMeDirtLikeMe Posts: 91
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am trying to decide if I should get rid of my Paul Reed Smith locking tuners and replace them with some grover tuners or some tuning machines that are along the more traditional lines. I was wondering if any guitar techs out there had any preference and why? The guitar tech at Guitar Center said that grovers is the way to go.

Oh and this is on a Paul Reed Smith Custom 22.

Thanx for any help
And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    are you having staying in tune issues with the existing tuners or anything or is it just a style preference.

i'd stick with the lockers personally.
  • Well.... one of the plastic tuning knobs split on me, so I took it in with the intention of just changing the plastic knobs for metal ones but then......
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I prefer lockers. Grovers are nice and they hold tune and all but lockers are so much easier to string. Why spend the money if you don't have to?

I hate plastic too though. Gibson Vintage tuners are the worst.

I'd love to have some lockers. Pull it, lock it, cut it, tune it.

Which PRS?
    custom 22/24?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • the locking tuners seem simple and easy but they can be a total pain in the ass. They're fine after you get them locked onto the string but it can sometimes be a headache to get them to lock on.
  • Pacomc do you have both locking and regular tuners? On what kind of guitars?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i've got schaller M6 locking tuners on a strat neck and they seem to work quite well.

i've also got grovers on my acoustic and my les paul and they've been great.

if you switch, just be sure the new one's line up with all the existing holes. you'd hate to have to drill the back of a PRS.
    I've got Schallers on my Les Paul.

I prefer sperzels because they are exactly like regular tuners in appearance and they fit in the holes but they have the push lock in the back rather than the twist like PRS. I don't own guitars with locking tuners at the moment but I worked at guitar center (and re strung almost every guitar in the inventory at the time) so I definately have preferences.

The fender lockers are ok sperzels are better.

Grover has a nice set and the Schaller M6's are great too.

you might like the grover lockers. You can't really go wrong as long as they are sealed. I can see how the PRS would be a pain and that they may break. Planet Waves makes a similar style to PRS with a cutoff to cut the string.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead/Grover_Tuners.ssc

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead/Sperzel_Tuners.html
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • thanx for all your suggestions. I went and decided to get grovers and take out my PRS stock locking tuners. The PRS ones have just been a pain.
    I actually thought about the sperzells but in the end I decided to go with regular tuners
    Originally posted by DirtLikeMe
    thanx for all your suggestions. I went and decided to get grovers and take out my PRS stock locking tuners. The PRS ones have just been a pain.
    I actually thought about the sperzells but in the end I decided to go with regular tuners

The grovers are ultra smooth. I was looking at the specs. 18 to 1 is a little smoother than the 12 to 1 sperzels. They hold tune fine. Good Choice. Well, they are the choice on Les Paul Customs since the beginning so you know they are awesome.
  • It is going to take a week for guitar center to order and install them but I will let you know how they turn out.