I Ruined my MXR 90

DirtLikeMeDirtLikeMe Posts: 91
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I accidentally hooked up a power adapter with too much voltage to my MXR 90 and, I guess, fried the circuitry. Is it worth having someone fix or is this just a case of having to go and buy a new pedal. Any info from you pedal junkies would be great.
And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    depends on what blew on it? are you handy with electronics and soldering?

and remember most effects pedals are 9V Center negative and require at least 200mA

probably isnt worth it to fix it and more than likely its gonna be a lot of work to fix it. of maybe you just blew some resistors. if you can take a pic of the circuit board and post it here or take it to a local electronics store that carrys components and shit.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    i once did the same thing for different reasons. i had a pedal that just stopped working right. the boss ac2, i had to crank the level all the way and it still was so quite that to barely hear it in the amp i had to turn up the amp. after messing with and cables and all that stuff i found out it was the pedal. so taking it apart hoping for a loose wire which was a waste of time. so i finally said "screw it" and i was gonna fry the thing. i hooked 18 volts to it and the led light kicked back on so i hooked it up and it worked. i have no idea if it was the 18 volts that did it, but it didnt work after i put the thing back together. but im no tech guy. either way i got lucky i got it working.

so the moral of the story, good luck
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    funny thing is you were probably using an unregulated power supply, so it was probably pushing like 6 more volts through then it was supposed to.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    KillerIsMe wrote:
    funny thing is you were probably using an unregulated power supply, so it was probably pushing like 6 more volts through then it was supposed to.

me? i was using a boss adapter into the NS and chained all my boss pedals(3?) from that.