Who has a WHAMMY?

DirtLikeMeDirtLikeMe Posts: 91
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Those of you who have a Digitech Whammy pedal give me review of the pedal. In particular, how are the octave up and down settings on the pedal.

I don't know if any of you have heard the new song by the White Stripes "Blue Orchid," but I heard that Jack uses a Whammy to get that really layered and full guitar sound. So, I am curious about the octave settings which he probably used. Thanks for any info:)
And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Try Googling it

And the quotation in your signature should be credited to Howard Zinn, not the Pearl Jam song.

Edit: wow, we have the exact same number of posts.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    if you're only looking for octave downs, get a boss OC-2 or OC-3. they're better performing, more flexible, more controllable effects.

the whammy doesn't give any control over the mix between dry and octaved signal, it's either 50/50 or all octave. that is unless you use both the wet and dry outputs and then blend them to taste in the mixing.

the whammy also has an annoying, slight delay in it's response when on with means you lose some pick attack. this is avoided by placing it after a fuzz or distortion.

it doesn't track chords well at all, pitch shifters never do so that's not the whammy's fault exclusively. and this can be used to advantage. it's one of the charms of the pedal.

i have a whammy that i use for octave ups primarily because it does this slightly glitchy thing with the tracking. (intro to iron lung by radiohead for example) i love this sound. with chords it sounds kind of like a harpsichord.

i also like using the drop tuning setting and playing chords through it because the poor tracking makes it sound like a tape-eating effect.

i can't stand the harmonies in it. but i'll say the same thing about any pitch shifter doing anything but octaves up or down.

the detune chorusing is actually quite nice, but with very little flexibility.

great noise pedal though.
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    I love mine. It's easy to overuse this pedal. I agree with exhausted on the octave ups. Very organic sounding. Also used on Audioslave's Last Remaining Light. Very fun pedal to play with and come up with new sound effects.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)