My pedals need to be MOD-ernized

DirtLikeMeDirtLikeMe Posts: 91
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm going to be getting, I think, a TS-9 Tube Screamer, MXR phase 90, and a Dunlop Fuzz Face modded. I was thinking of using "analogman," since he advertises modding both the Fuzz and TS-9, but I was also considering Keeley for the modding of my TS-9 - cuz I have heard great stuff about him here on this board. Anyone have an opinion or suggestion. And then I was considering the Fxdoctor for the MXR 90.

Also, does anyone know from experience how different the Baked Mod and the Mod Plus, that Keeley does of the TS-9, sound (Analogman, also seems to have different versions of the TS-9). He has a soundclip of the Mod Plus, but not of the Baked. Just wanted to know if anyone had a preference and the reason for the preference.

Here are some of the links
http://www.robertkeeley.com/
http://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm
http://www.analogman.com/ts9.htm
http://www.fxdoctor.com/phase90.html
And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I did find the Baked Mod sound clips - they were on another site that he had links to. And from the sound of them - it appears that the Baked has a lot more balls than the regular Mod Plus.

However, I am still looking for suggestions on where to send my pedals to be modded.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    talk to telesonic (member here) about the phase 90. he *may* still be doing some pedal mods.

fxdoctor is shut down right now. not taking orders.

analogman is definitely the fuzzface guy.

i have no comment on TS9s as i've never played one, modded or not.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I own and play both the Plus and Baked Mod Keeley Tubescreamers, and I absolutely LOVE them. The Plus goes from clean boost to gritty, and the Baked goes from gritty to butter-smooth distortion. I usually set my Plus to a gritty drive, where it's got about as much gain as Ed's amp, so that I can control my dynamics and go from semi-clean to semi-drive, depending on how hard I push it. The Baked I use for heavy gain (although it's more classic-rock than metal, even cranked).

My only big thing is that I don't feel they're appropriate for solid-state amps, or amps of a "British" flavor. They sound great in front of a Peavey Classic, a Fender Blues or Hot Rod, any other Fender, or anything that's similar to a Fender really. I use them with my Sovtek Mig and they make it sound a lot like an older Bassman (either tweed combo or blackface head).

I'd trust Ex on the Fuzzface... I'm not a fuzz guy, nor do I have experience with Analogman, but Ex would know.

As far as the Phase 90, there isn't a lot of "modding" you can do. If it's a new block-logo version, there is an extra resistor that can be cut out (R28, right?) to give it better gain structure and more of a vintage tone. In fact, I still need to do that to mine... I don't use it too much, but I don't always like it to drive (although it's occasionally kinda cool).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    yea its the r28 resistor. it's the one right above the output jack if my memory serves me correctly, and it makes all the difference ever esp on clean.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the phase90 can be made univibe-ish with some new caps.
  • Thanks for all the responses so far.

Did anyone take a look at the Fxdoctor's tricked out TS-9? I'm wondering if it's just a bunch of flash or if it really makes a tone that is more killer than the Keeley mods.

Also, to those that have the Keeley modded TS-9's, did you have your pedal converted to True Bypass?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    DirtLikeMe wrote:
    Also, to those that have the Keeley modded TS-9's, did you have your pedal converted to True Bypass?

Nope... I'm not that anal.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.