Orange 2x12 or Marshall 4x12?

DirtLikeMeDirtLikeMe Posts: 91
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Okay, I just got a Zvex Nano Head and I am trying to decide on a cabinet. I have found a place where I can get an Orange 2x12 (Celestion V30) and another place where I can get a Marshall 1960TV 4x12 (greenbacks 25w); both are selling for $500. I am going to test them both out this weekend, but wanted to check the board to see what you guys would pick and why. Any information on what to look for when I test out these amps would also be appreciated, as I have only really played through Fender stuff until now.
And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• marshall cabs are really loud as hell

tahts all i can say, ha
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • DirtLikeMe wrote:
    I can get an Orange 2x12 (Celestion V30) and another place where I can get a Marshall 1960TV 4x12 (greenbacks 25w); both are selling for $500. quote]

where is this, cause im lookign for an orange 2x12...

harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • u want to push a 4x12 with the zvex nano !?!

y did you buy the nano?
    what does it's portability have to do with a 4x12 ... or a 2x12 even?

just curious.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Even as a obsessed Orange guy, I say go with the TV Cab, It's the better deal.

Both are sensational cabinets and gorgeous. You won't have a lot of clean headroom with the nano but crunch out of greenbacks is heavenly. By far that is my favorite Marshall Cabinet. It will push it fine no worries that, and you'll get your money back on it more than likely, the orange is essentially retail.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    It will push it fine no worries that

i'm perplexed by this.
    i see that ZVex evne recommends a 4x12 for this as well.

If a 1\2watt tube amp can drive a 4x12 ... maybe i'm looking at this whole cabinet situation the wrong way ...

maybe my 2watt head is too much for a 1x12 ... maybe i should be looking at a set of fullstacks ?

maybe like one stack for the lows, one for the mids, and one for the highs ... with a big crossover ?

I dunno ...

why is pushing 4 12" speakers with one 1\2 watt of power not a silly idea?

hold my hand and walk me through this.

If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    i'm perplexed by this.

If a 1\2watt tube amp can drive a 4x12 ... maybe i'm looking at this whole cabinet situation the wrong way ...

maybe my 2watt head is too much for a 1x12 ... maybe i should be looking at a set of fullstacks ?

maybe like one stack for the lows, one for the mids, and one for the highs ... with a big crossover ?

I dunno ...

complex question my friend. Not an easy answer. the quick and dirty, Power is essentially clarity, headroom. Etc. The reason we buy tiny amps, is because we love saturation. To cause a 100 watt amp to breakup it takes a tremendous amount of volume, a 1/2 watt amp is on the verge of saturation almost when you turn the thing on.

With the 4x12 paper cone ceramic greenbacks in this sense, they are fairly effecient speakers (in the 90+DB range) but even if they weren't you'd get sound. The 1/2 watt amp will not produce as much volume through the 4x12 because it can't move as much air because it dosen't have the support the big amp has. What it can do is give you a killer saturated crunchy sound, that you can mike up using more sensitive mics than you can with a big amp at high spl, Zvex uses very sensitive and EXPENSIVE Royer Ribbon mic to record his clips.

The cabinet you choose should be on the tone you want to achieve, not what you think the little amp can do. 4x12's provide more bass and a fuller sound than a smaller cabinet. Open Back closed back the number of speakers, the type of magnet, the type of cone, the effeciency, the frequency response, the cabinet material, the voice coil..your ability to move it....all things to think about when you are buying a cabinet. Don't discount a big cabinet just because your amp is small, go on tone you want to achieve. It won't have the same force, but that's not what you are looking for in a recording amp. I've seen guys with Germino's and a single Bogner 1x12 because of the space and volume constraints of the club.

You'll get more headroom with the 1x12, but the sound will be fuller with a 2x12 and more so with a 4x12. It's trial and error really, long as the ohms are kosher, you're ok to try.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    IMHO, the Orange 2x12 will pwn the Marshall 4x12.

I love Orange cabs :)...so I'm not exactly unbiased...but the Orange is a different design than the Marshall. You will get big bass response from the 2x12 because of the coupling design of the cab.

V30's and Greenbacks sound a lot different too. I can't stand current (within the last 2 decades) Greenbacks, and can barely stand V30's...though they do sound nice in the Orange. I think that thick grill attenuates the V30 a bit. I have Greenbacks in my Wizard 4x12 that are getting switched out to Scumbacks as soon as I sell my Lovetone Meatball :). That cannot happen soon enough for me...lol.
  • Zachary posts a lot over at Harmony Central. If you ever want to ask the master, he's pretty accessible.
  • i'm perplexed by this.

I dunno ...

The Zvex Nano Head shouldn't be underestimated. Just for perspective, a 10 watt amplifier is half as loud as 100 watts. 1 watt is half as loud as 10 watts and 1/4 as loud as 100 watts.

Hey, even Zack Vex himself powers a 4x12 in his demo video for the Nano Head
    And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
  • i would go with anything with vintage 30s. but thats just me. i have 2 marshall 4x12s with the vintage 30s (1960av and bv) and i just love the tone i have with them. the green backs sound incredible, but i like the tone i get from the 30s better. play them both and pick what you think sounds best.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."