Tell me how I did...(acoustic/electric purchase)

DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just bought my first acoustic/electric guitar...it's a Takamine with the following specs:

Body Shape: Dreadnought C/A
Rosette: Concentric Rings
Top: Solid Spruce
Inlays: None
Back: Ovangkol
Sides: Ovangkol
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Electronics: N4B
Tuners: Gold
Features: Bound Fretboard

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=177&sid=69

I paid 499.99 plus tax. I really love the sound of this guitar. Not knowing a lot about guitars, I read a thread on this board that suggested to get a Yamaha...but the particular model suggested "would have to be ordered " at every place I went. The Takamine sounds great to me...any thoughts from you guys and gals on the price I paid and the quality of the guitar?

ds
And no one sings me lullabyes
And no one makes me close my eyes
So I throw the windows wide
And call to you across the sky....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• if you got that exact model in the picture i'd say you did good. musicians friend has it for 599.99 and they are usually about the cheapest.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    Originally posted by He_Who_Forgets
    if you got that exact model in the picture i'd say you did good. musicians friend has it for 599.99 and they are usually about the cheapest.

I did get the exact model that is in the picture. They guy who sold it to me said he wanted to hook me up with a good deal and since it was his last week working at the Guitar Center he would give me the lowest price possible. I also got a hard shell case at a nice discount. :).

Apparently (so the guy who sold me the guitar says), the electronics on the model I bought can be swapped out. There is an electronics module (preamp) with tube technology.

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=cooltube

Seems versatile.

ds
  • mojorison_75mojorison_75 Posts: 157
    I'd say you did pretty good. Takamine has a pretty decent reputation when it comes to their electronics, even on thier lower priced models, so I'd say for $500 bucks you probably got a pretty good sounding guitar.

I had a Takamine once but it was just accoustic, no electronics. It was one of the satin finished ones. Sounded and played pretty good from what I remember. That was back in my massive trading days though, so I didn't have it long. I think I traded it for a piece of crap strat copy that probably wasn't worth half what it was. Live and learn.
  • gotz idgotz id Posts: 125
    Nice controls on that thing given the price, I think ;)
    I wish I was the 10Club holiday single, the one that never showed up...

• solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
    Originally posted by DarkStar
    I just bought my first acoustic/electric guitar...it's a Takamine with the following specs:

Body Shape: Dreadnought C/A
    Rosette: Concentric Rings
    Top: Solid Spruce
    Inlays: None
    Back: Ovangkol
    Sides: Ovangkol
    Fingerboard: Rosewood
    Electronics: N4B
    Tuners: Gold
    Features: Bound Fretboard

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=177&sid=69

I paid 499.99 plus tax. I really love the sound of this guitar. Not knowing a lot about guitars, I read a thread on this board that suggested to get a Yamaha...but the particular model suggested "would have to be ordered " at every place I went. The Takamine sounds great to me...any thoughts from you guys and gals on the price I paid and the quality of the guitar?

ds

You did great. Takamine's are great values. Solid top, bound neck, and good electronics make it a winner. Take care of her as you'll be keeping this guitar forever....
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I have the exact same guitar and I love it.
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    Originally posted by DaytimeDilemma
    I have the exact same guitar and I love it.

I love it too...now if I could only play better...sigh.

ds