Options

uke question

pearljammerbeckpearljammerbeck Posts: 70
edited October 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Does anyone here own a uke? I got one from Musician's Friend, and it just arrived today. But, when I try to tune it, the strings unwind back to where they were originally. It's like having rubber bands on it. Anyone have any advice for restringing it or anything?
I've checked out some sites, but none give any stringing advice that I've seen. It's funny, though. They all mention how easy it is to play a uke, and say that even children with no musical experience can pick one up and play it. Here I am playing guitar for 7+ years, and I can't even get a uke in tune.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    robrob Posts: 142
    You usually either have to tighten the screw on the tuners, or push the tuner head into the neck to tighten it. Definitely low tech!
    Once you get your first lei, it's easy!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Options
    Thanks. I sort of figured it out for one string by accident. But, since it was an accident, I didn't really know what it was that I did, and couldn't get the others. It works though. Thanks. I felt like a moron for a minute. "Even a child can play it." Fuck children! Not literally, though--that's wrong.
    Originally posted by rob
    You usually either have to tighten the screw on the tuners, or push the tuner head into the neck to tighten it. Definitely low tech!
    Once you get your first lei, it's easy!
  • Options
    What's the difference between a soprano uke and a something else uke? Which one does ed have.

Sorry for the dumb question.
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by BlindMelonade
    What's the difference between a soprano uke and a something else uke? Which one does ed have.

Sorry for the dumb question.

scale length and size of the sound box. Soprano uke is smaller tenor uke is bigger, baritone uke is bigger still.

Ed plays a tenor I believe.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    scale length and size of the sound box. Soprano uke is smaller tenor uke is bigger, baritone uke is bigger still.

Ed plays a tenor I believe.

Does it matter what one i buy? Do they all sound the same? Will one last longer than another?
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • Options
    I think a bigger one might be a little louder, but I'm not sure. All I really know is that Ed tunes it the traditional C G E A, and some people tune it a step higher so it's in D. I don't know if the model matters. One important thing to remember is that the G string is actually tuned lower than the C string. I remembered that last night right after I broke it trying to tune it higher than the C string, instead.
    Originally posted by BlindMelonade
    Does it matter what one i buy? Do they all sound the same? Will one last longer than another?
  • Options
    I have that same uke (Johnson?) from MF. I had to tighten the screws down really tight to keep it from slipping. Another problem I have with it is that one of the frets is too high, but just affecting the C string making it vibrate. The intonation is off too. But it's cool to play with.
    Frank in PHX