MIG - Fuck yeah!

sustainediasustainedia Posts: 112
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
just wanted to say, "Fuck yeah, look what i just won!"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7316836800

The harmony-central reviews sold me on it. I hope i'm not disappointed. The serial number is real low. This is my first tube amp ever! Are Mesa Boogie tubes good? Any suggestions, anyone?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    oh that's just solid, spend some time carrying it around and find the right speakers to match with it.

Great pickup.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I thought this was a semi-callout to mccreadyisgod

hahaha
    WE'RE FAITHFULL
    WE ALL BELIEVE
    WE ALL BELIEVE IT
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    just wanted to say, "Fuck yeah, look what i just won!"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7316836800

The harmony-central reviews sold me on it. I hope i'm not disappointed. The serial number is real low. This is my first tube amp ever! Are Mesa Boogie tubes good? Any suggestions, anyone?

A gorgeous example and a great choice. I'm still waiting to pick up a couple more before they get too expensive... and I'd love to find a Mig 30.

The Mesa tubes will be fine. I'd probably revert back to Sovtek 5881 tubes, but the 6L6's will give you a great Fender-ish tone.

What cab you gonna use with that?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I thought this was a semi-callout to mccreadyisgod

hahaha

You never know... ;)
  • sustainediasustainedia Posts: 112
    actually, it was a call-out to mccreadyisgod. he owns this exact amp. i forgot it was also called a MIG. coincidence? i think not.

for now i'm going to use my b-52 4x12 until i get a fat paycheck. i also have a behringer 4x12 with jensens. i can't hear much difference between the two. i hear the vintage 30's sound good with it. what do you guys hear?

the crazy thing about this is this guy had this amp listed for 399. last week and i let it go thinking it was overpriced. sure enough, he re-lists for 350. and i jump on it. then some guy from the u.k. where these amps are even rarer bumps it up to 445. what the fuck? still worth it to me, though.
    actually, it was a call-out to mccreadyisgod. he owns this exact amp. i forgot it was also called a MIG. coincidence? i think not.

for now i'm going to use my b-52 4x12 until i get a fat paycheck. i also have a behringer 4x12 with jensens. i can't hear much difference between the two. i hear the vintage 30's sound good with it. what do you guys hear?

the crazy thing about this is this guy had this amp listed for 399. last week and i let it go thinking it was overpriced. sure enough, he re-lists for 350. and i jump on it. then some guy from the u.k. where these amps are even rarer bumps it up to 445. what the fuck? still worth it to me, though.

I personally love greenbacks and vintage 30's. with the 6L6's I bet the alnico thames from Weber would sound great too but they would be ridiculously expensive.

The V30's are probably the best option as they are transparent and relatively an easy find. The cheap way to go would be to just purchase speakers and swap them out. You could even go 2 and 2 as long as the OHM's and wattage match up reasonably well you'll be ok.

Running two cabs in stereo would be pretty fun.

I'm pretty biased towards Celestion and the Vintage 30 I pretty much like that speaker with everything, that's just me.

The reason I say look around is that you might find an old Peavy Sheffield cab or Mesa Black Shadows etc that sounds freaking awesome with that head, you never know.

Since you already have speakers you have plenty of time to shop because there's no rush.

I'd look hard at 4x10 stuff too. More punch, less weight.

The B52 cab might be perfect, who knows. Only your ears. :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    would a Sovtek 4x12 Speaker Cabinet w/ Eminence speakers be good for this amp? there is one for sale for $130. Would it be better than the b-52?
    would a Sovtek 4x12 Speaker Cabinet w/ Eminence speakers be good for this amp? there is one for sale for $130. Would it be better than the b-52?

It might. It's not going to be any better than what you currently own though really.
    how are eminence speakers? i was thinking of buying it just to have a matching set, then swapping them for vintage 30's.
    how are eminence speakers? i was thinking of buying it just to have a matching set, then swapping them for vintage 30's.

there are some very good eminence speakers and some boring and some not so good eminence speakers.

There's a link at http://www.webervst.com
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    The V30's are probably the best option as they are transparent and relatively an easy find.

I'm pretty biased towards Celestion and the Vintage 30 I pretty much like that speaker with everything, that's just me.

The reason I say look around is that you might find an old Peavy Sheffield cab or Mesa Black Shadows etc that sounds freaking awesome with that head, you never know.

I'd look hard at 4x10 stuff too. More punch, less weight.

Jeez, Paco... you've been listening to me for too long.

I currently play my Mig thru a Marshall 4x10, and it sounds fucking awesome. I've also got an unloaded 2x12 that I'm loading for the Mig sometime this summer... most likely with a Peavey Sheffield and a Vintage 30, although I'd also like a Mesa Black Shadow or Weber California instead of the V30.

I say try it out with your two current cabs, and see what it does and doesn't do that you like and don't like. Then we can talk replacement speakers or new cabs.

The generic Eminence speakers that come in a lot of mfg's amps are crap. If you want the goods, you need to research and find which specific model you want. But there are good Eminence speakers, if you know where to look.