What's this good for??

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I read this about Alber Hammond Jr from The Strokes:

'Like Stevie Ray Vaughan, sometimes Superglues his raw fingertips to his arm to rip off fresh skin.'

FREAK!! Anyone else does this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Why the hell would a guitarist in the STROKES need to go to such extremes? Their songs are just simple crap. I don't ever want to see a comparison between that poser and SRV again.
    To myself I surrender, to the one I'll never please.
  • robrob Posts: 142
    Originally posted by pearlwax
    I read this about Alber Hammond Jr from The Strokes:

'Like Stevie Ray Vaughan, sometimes Superglues his raw fingertips to his arm to rip off fresh skin.'

FREAK!! Anyone else does this?

I know SRV used to do that because his strings were so thick, and he played so hard , he wore holes in the ends of his fingers, he'd do that to get through a show. Ouch.

But I agree, The Strokes?

Maybe Hammond did it for different reasons!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    SRV used HUGE Strings 0.13's and 0.14's even bigger. THe man wore out a set of Frets in the first half of one stage show. They had to re fret it and get it back out to him. WOW. Strong hands yeah, really strong hands, and his neck was a log. He probably needed the extra Skin to play longer after his fingers started bleeding.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    I guess for a while, he was using 16's ! My roadie friends used to do his sound and said the volume coming off those strats was intense. I tried 16's once a long time ago on a strat just to see what it was like., I could barely make the string touch the fret!

But Albert Hammond?
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

yeah I'd say it's more like a tribute from hammond than anything else.

Kind of like if I ate chicken wings and went and played bass as a tribute to Jaco. It certainly wouldn't give me his skill.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907

But Albert Hammond? [/B]

rob, let it go, the mere thought will damage a person's brain cells.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    cut your fingertips off and make fake leather ones like iommi. now that's a tribute.
    I'm seriously considering shaving my tounge to a point in a Kiss Tribute.
    Originally posted by puremagic
    rob, let it go, the mere thought will damage a person's brain cells.

You're right, Puremagic! I let it go. I only have 8 good brain cells left! Can't spare too many more!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I'm seriously considering shaving my tounge to a point in a Kiss Tribute.

I seriously considering dating paco.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    cut your fingertips off and make fake leather ones like iommi. now that's a tribute.

How about a plaster mold like jimi H,,,,,,, oh never mind!!!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

where is plaster caster when you need her?
    exits this thread quitely.
    I don't know, but if it was my cast, I'd have to forge my name on somebody elses to make it into the museum!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

Originally posted by puremagic
    exits this thread quitely.

I tried to leave quietly, now I run!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

who better to know what the ladies like than, Gene Simmons or Ace Frehley.

Plaster Caster was just too phallic for me. I see it every day anyway why would I want a cast of it?

Then again if I was Tommy Lee, I'd probably commission a Garden Sculpture for my front yard in bronze maybe.
    who better to know what the ladies like than, Gene Simmons or Ace Frehley.

Plaster Caster was just too phallic for me. I see it every day anyway why would I want a cast of it?

Then again if I was Tommy Lee, I'd probably commission a Garden Sculpture for my front yard in bronze maybe.

So Pacomc79
    Do you think Pearlwax will be impressed when he looks what we did to his thread?

Hi pearlwax,
    Does that answer your question?
    What was the question anyway?
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

• *introduces the cloning issue*

yes, imagine i could grow hendrix fingers... i'd settle for dave gilmour's though
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    "It is I, with the empty bladder!"

www.nowalletevolution.com
  • Originally posted by rob
    So Pacomc79
    Do you think Pearlwax will be impressed when he looks what we did to his thread?

Hi pearlwax,
    Does that answer your question?
    What was the question anyway?

I kinda gave up after 2 replies. Trying to figure out now who the biggest freaks are: Albert Hammond, SRV or you guys. My money is on 'the board people' for now.

the question was something about superglue, but please guys, don't bother :D
    Originally posted by pearlwax
    Trying to figure out now who the biggest freaks are: Albert Hammond, SRV or you guys. My money is on 'the board people' for now.

Stevie Ray did the super glue to his fingers due to his art and dedication

Albert Hammond did it for publicity.

Now, We're just doing it because we're all Albert Hammond wannabe's !
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

Yeah but how cool would it be to have a huge Phallic water sculpture fountain moulded in Bronze surounded by bushes. I think it'd be cool and it's right up Tommy Lee's alley
    Yeah but how cool would it be to have a huge Phallic water sculpture fountain moulded in Bronze surounded by bushes. I think it'd be cool and it's right up Tommy Lee's alley

Holy shit Pacomc,

I didn't know you were my next door neighbor!
    Nice fountain, The colored lights are a little tacky on that thing at night, though!
    Come on over for a beer! I'm the house next door with no roof!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

Howdy Neighbor. Sorry about the lights I was just trying to make it look bigger. You know I had the shrubs trimmed short for that very reason.
    Pearlwax, sorry
    I apologize once again for your thread and I apologize for my neighbor's fountain!
    Ironically enough, I just was at the bookstore and saw the biography of the Strokes, and the quote about the superglue!

Hey neighbor, I'm done rebuilding for the day, c'mon over for a brew!
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

there's a biography of the strokes already? cripes.
    Yup, it's a tiny paperback book, next to about 5000 pages worth of books about the Stones.
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!