16. Porch

Encore Break

17. Imagine-(Lennon, Ono)
18. Black
19. Do The Evolution
20. Alive
21. Rocking In The Free World-(Young)
22. Yellow Ledbetter

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.
Tagged:

Comments

• bazfromozbazfromoz Posts: 234
    Loved it, the only 2 shocks were animal and mind your manners. Missing scared of fear was actually disappointing. 
    Not sure if this should be included in fan views. But no trains leaving towards the city, people walking along the motorway overhead and towards the next station 3kms away? Was a nightmare. Horrific organisation from the festival/public transport system. Fail. 
  • D-DayD-Day Far From Home Posts: 294
    Details of local colorit and freak show bits can‘t be wrong.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,791
    edited July 14
    bazfromoz said:
    Not sure if this should be included in fan views. But no trains leaving towards the city, people walking along the motorway overhead and towards the next station 3kms away? Was a nightmare. Horrific organisation from the festival/public transport system. Fail. 
    There were 7 trains that the festival site said would run to downtown from 2:15am to 4:30am.  I took a train at 1:30am.  Headed Ledbetter from the train platform.  Did an official say there were no more trains?  It was the station closest to the festival entrance walking towards city.

that would suck to walk.  That is a long way.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    The crowd brought it during Daughter and the band clearly knew it.  Great crowd.  Another greatest hits set but tough to disagree with when you see the crowd reaction.  Has to be addictive for the band to see the wave of people loving it versus disengaged during a white whale.

Animal is so terribly underplayed, but when we do get to hear it is amazing.  

Mike is the MVP.  Was funny when Ed made him go do a solo on the long catwalk out of the middle of the stage.  Was neat to see Mike claim the spotlight like that.

The band clearly wanted to get through the setlist.  They barely took any breaks between songs even during a run of heavier stuff.  They were on a mission.

Oh and I just about brushed shoulders with the president of Portugal as we were walking opposite directions during PJ’s set.  I wouldn’t have known it other than an older gent in a sportcoat and people’s reaction calling him President.  Ironic that their president can walk around in a crowd and what happened today with Trump.

Visited Sintra this morning/afternoon.  PJ at night.  Don’t miss out on Spain and Portugal if they come back.

• mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 953
    I had a great time exploring the beautiful city of Lisbon and Sintra/Cascais. Crowd and energy at the show was great and band seemed to really appreciate it. Looked like Ed got emotional towards the end. I think Ed still struggling with whatever he had seemed a bit winded at times. See you in NYC 2
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,522
    The crowd brought it during Daughter and the band clearly knew it.  Great crowd.  Another greatest hits set but tough to disagree with when you see the crowd reaction.  Has to be addictive for the band to see the wave of people loving it versus disengaged during a white whale.

Animal is so terribly underplayed, but when we do get to hear it is amazing.  

Mike is the MVP.  Was funny when Ed made him go do a solo on the long catwalk out of the middle of the stage.  Was neat to see Mike claim the spotlight like that.

The band clearly wanted to get through the setlist.  They barely took any breaks between songs even during a run of heavier stuff.  They were on a mission.

Oh and I just about brushed shoulders with the president of Portugal as we were walking opposite directions during PJ’s set.  I wouldn’t have known it other than an older gent in a sportcoat and people’s reaction calling him President.  Ironic that their president can walk around in a crowd and what happened today with Trump.

Visited Sintra this morning/afternoon.  PJ at night.  Don’t miss out on Spain and Portugal if they come back.

Great review. Glad you enjoyed it so much. Proof list Monday Morning QBing is useless 
  • Em1983Em1983 Colborne ontario Posts: 10
    Excellent show, loved to be at a festival where I don't feel like I was 20 years older than everyone! Loved Lisbon all the people we met very friendly, crowd had a great vibe, band always excellent loved hearing waiting for Stevie , animal, mind your manners and Imagine, obviously amongst the rest! As they say miss you already!
    bazfromoz said:
    There were 7 trains that the festival site said would run to downtown from 2:15am to 4:30am.  I took a train at 1:30am.  Headed Ledbetter from the train platform.  Did an official say there were no more trains?  It was the station closest to the festival entrance walking towards city.

Not sure what the issue was, but no one allowed to go inside train station. Maybe it was too busy so they stopped people for a while. Don’t know exactly but was annoying. Great festival though, atmosphere very chilled 
  • chaslilchaslil Westminster CO Posts: 312
    When Eddie came out with his acoustic for the encore, he spoke of the discord in the world and hoped the election in his home country would be a "healing election". He asked everyone to raise their phones in the air and sing along to John Lennon's "Imagine". I got out my phone and saw that my WhatsApp group with my USA siblings had 30 messages. I thought "This can only mean one thing: Biden has dropped out!" But instead, my memory of the shooting last night will be juxtaposed with ten of thousands of Portuguese singing "Imagine".
    Charles
    "The Who is my life. Pearl Jam is my retirement"
    bazfromoz said:
    bazfromoz said:

Not sure what the issue was, but no one allowed to go inside train station. Maybe it was too busy so they stopped people for a while. Don’t know exactly but was annoying. Great festival though, atmosphere very chilled 
    It was odd.  They blocked the entrance to one ramp, but there was a ramp immediately behind coming from the opposite direction we could go down. 
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,789
    chaslil said:
    When Eddie came out with his acoustic for the encore, he spoke of the discord in the world and hoped the election in his home country would be a "healing election". He asked everyone to raise their phones in the air and sing along to John Lennon's "Imagine". I got out my phone and saw that my WhatsApp group with my USA siblings had 30 messages. I thought "This can only mean one thing: Biden has dropped out!" But instead, my memory of the shooting last night will be juxtaposed with ten of thousands of Portuguese singing "Imagine".
    Wow
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
    edited July 15
    Didn’t even do the “the shades go down” part on Daughter.  Did have the crowd do the improv a bit though.  Which I don’t like as it isn’t really improv anymore. 
  • tomccfc87tomccfc87 Posts: 62
    bazfromoz said:
    bazfromoz said:

It was odd.  They blocked the entrance to one ramp, but there was a ramp immediately behind coming from the opposite direction we could go down. 
    It was because both sides of the ramp converged to a single point so having both sides open would have caused a massive crush in the middle. 

Getting away form the site was a bit of a pain due to the railway line meaning that fans had to walk 2-3km to reach a crossing point to access the station, and bus/taxi pick up points. It would have been better if they had built some temporary footbridges over the tracks to allow people to cross sooner, I have seen other festivals do this to get fans across roads without disrupting local traffic. However the overhead power lines for the trains may have made this difficult.

I also read some reviews that the sound quality wasn't great for the first part of PJs set but that must have just been for those further back as from where I was on the second barrier it sounded great. In fact the whole festival probably had the best sound quality I have ever heard at an outdoor concert/festival.

Other than the issues getting away from the site after PJs set Nos Alive was one of the best organised festivals I have been to. I never once had to queue for food, drink or toilets even between bands. It would have been nice to have a broader beer selection than just Heineken but that's a minor complaint tbh. There was a really happy chilled vibe to the whole festival with none of the immaturity and aggression that I have witnessed from certain elements in the crowd at most UK festivals. Great weather too and the location next to the water meant the sea breeze stopped it getting too hot during the day.

In terms of PJs set, it was the first show in Portugal in 6 years and a festival being attended by non-PJ fans so of course it's going to be a hits setlist rather than a deep cuts one. I was stood next to a girl who had specifically came to see Sum 41 but stuck around for PJ and absolutely loved their set. It was great to see Eddie back with some energy to burn. Whilst he wasn't back to 100% the difference in his stage presence between Lisbon and the previous show I attended in Manchester was obvious. Being the last night of the European tour and with a few weeks off ahead of them the whole band were clearly determined to put it all out there on the stage. They were clearly having a great time out there. The smile on Jeff's face watching Eddie in the photo I took below says it all.

Beyond the festival and PJ, Lisbon is a beautiful city with so much to see and explore. Starting a new job recently meant I was only ever going to be able to do one overseas date on this tour and having visited Lisbon before I knew I wanted to return so going there to see PJ was the perfect vacation. I met so many great people with a shared love of PJ both at the festival and at the rock bar in the Bairro Alto the night before the show. I ate great food, enjoyed the weather, after day 1 of the festival I had no interest in the day 2 bands so spent the day chilling on the beach. Definitely one of my favourite Pearl Jam trips so far.

Next up for me: Ohana 
    2012 - Manchester (UK) 12 Jun - Manchester (UK) 13 Jun
    2014 - Amsterdam (NL) 16 Jun - Amsterdam (NL) 17 Jun - Leeds (UK) 8 Jul - Milton Keynes (UK) 11 Jul 
    2017Rio de Janeiro (BR) 21 Mar
    2018 - London (UK) 18 Jun - London (UK) 19 Jun - London (UK) 17 Jul
    2022Vienna (AT) 20 July - Prague (CZ) 22 July - London (UK) 8 Jul - London (UK) 9 Jul
    2024 - Manchester (UK) 25 Jun - London (UK) 29 Jun - Lisbon (PT) 13 Jul

Upcoming
    Ohana (USA) 27 Sep 2024
    Ohana (USA) 29 Sep 2024